FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eye of the World Question

Author Topic: Eye of the World Question
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading it for the first time. Perrin just met up with the wolf guy and Rand and Mat are learning how to juggle.

I'm about 40% of the way in, I guess.

Does it... get good? I'll finish the book, but if people tell me the rest of the series is like this, I doubt I'll get the second book.

I just wanted more Game of Thrones. Where is the god of wine, tits and good fantasy?

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It never actually gets good.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

So it is twelve books of rolling dice for stat checks?

ugh

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give the second book a try. It's a better example of the overall character of the series.

It does get better, but if you don't like it by the end of the second book, you probably never will.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the first book. I tolerated the second. I endured the next ten. Once Brandon Sanderson took over, I went back to tolerating them. Don't ask me why I felt compelled to stick with them; I'm not sure myself.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
You've made it further than I managed, Foust. I trust Tom on this one, though.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the middle of a re-read of the series right now.

Stop now while you can.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
The first book is crap. The second and third are quite a bit better. The fourth is fantastic. Then it tapers off, first slowly, then quite precipitously. It reaches abysmal lows before recovering reasonably well at the end. You wouldn't reach the end, of course, unless you had become hooked enough (by book four) to really want to know how it ended.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, the only series that is like Game of Thrones is Game of Thrones (personally I appreciate that).
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sadly ASoIaF pretty much killed my interest in other fantasy series. Though I would suggest the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. It's technically "sci-fi" or "space opera", but has a bit of a fantasy feel to it. It's right up there with ASoIaF as my favorite series.

Sticking with pure fantasy, the Farseer trilogy from Robin Hobb is pretty good. Its not ASoIaF though, and you probably won't be blown away or anything like that. But I found them enjoyable even after having the genre spoiled by Martin.

--------------------------

I also gave up on the "Wheel of Time" books. I think I read the first nine of them, but after the fourth book (the only one I really enjoyed), there wasn't much that I even remember.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

The Hyperion series was a mixed bag, but the great outweighed the good, the good outweighed the bad, and the bad outweighed the insulting and stupid ret-conning.

So AsoIaF is a genre killer, then?

My experience with fantasy is limited, because I assumed it was just a bunch of LotR knock-offs. Is ASoIaF the only counter example?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is ASoIaF the only counter example?
No. Limiting your options to recent books and completed series, you might also consider Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Foust: it's a very different kind of fantasy (swords & sorcery in the tradition of Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar, rather than epic fantasy in the tradition of Tolkien)... but you may want to try out Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora.

I very much feel that Lynch did for swords & sorcery what Martin did for epic fantasy.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

Tom, Dan, I shall look at both. Thanks!
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it but books 7, 8, and 9, are really the low point of the series. Personally, I just wanted more Mat for most of the series.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
Tom, Dan, I shall look at both. Thanks!

Oh, one thing: unlike Tom's recommendation, Lies of Locke Lamora is not a completed series.

But, as a good sword and sorcery tale, the first novel is pretty much self-contained. No huge cliffhangers or anything, it could totally stand alone with no sequels and be worth reading.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked WoT. The second and third books were MUCH better than the 1st, which I found to have interesting concept but very slow moving.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:
I enjoyed it but books 7, 8, and 9, are really the low point of the series. Personally, I just wanted more Mat for most of the series.

Mat? The guy who steals an obviously cursed knife from a cursed city and starts acting like Gollum, and it takes 2/3s of the damn book for someone to say "hey Mat, you stole a cursed knife from a cursed city and you're acting like gollum"?
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:

Mat? The guy who steals an obviously cursed knife from a cursed city and starts acting like Gollum, and it takes 2/3s of the damn book for someone to say "hey Mat, you stole a cursed knife from a cursed city and you're acting like gollum"?
I hated Mat with a passion for the first couple books but by the end, yes it needed WAY more Mat. He was really the only fun character in the whole series.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

remember, the heros never had the benefit of reading LOTR....lol....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obama
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of disappointed in the Forsaken. Hyped up as the world's boogeymen, coming from a world with technology far beyond ours and magic far beyond Randland's.

They were the worst villains ever up until the last three or four books. Semirhage turned out pretty cool. (In an evil kind of way.) And...umm...Graendal's Great Captain trick was pretty clever. Am I missing anything?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

i would appreciate if spoilers were avoided, or at least marked.

I just started the series.

Foust
Member # 3043

I hate myself, I can't stop. Just began Crossroads of Twilight.
NobleHunter
Member # 12043

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter           Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite possibly the nadir of the series. The narrative just seems to stop to dwell on the previous book.

The last four books are way easier to read.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it wasn't this book was good while that one was boring, it's more that some story lines I found to be quite excellent while others bored me to tears and I could find examples of both in every book.

Overall, I'm glad I read them. I probably never would have if I wasn't such a diehard Sanderson fan and his involvement got my interest. I found the series enjoyable but it won't be going on any all time favorites list for me.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

I think I've been Stockhom syndromed into this series. I'm on Towers of Midnight, and... I'm actually invested.

And yes, Mat actually did become fun.

The Sanderson books are a marked improvement.

Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
A part of me wishes that Sanderson would rewrite the whole series.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Without having read the whole thread I just have to say I'm having the same problem with "Gravity's Rainbow." I'm about 200 pages in, but each time I start reading I fall asleep. It's not that it's boring, it's just so dense that it's exhausting.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I love the series, but some of the books we not plotted out well. The first one was slow, but The Great Hunt was outstanding IMO.

It was bloated, but still fun, and had some great storylines.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.