FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey, we're back! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hey, we're back!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the extended down time. The site was migrated over to new servers as a result of the disruption in service.

Could I get a show of hands, so that we know who died in the outage?

[ August 26, 2013, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Me. I died. Here I sit, resting in peace. Deader than a doornail. Silent as the grave. Quiet as a mouse. Poor as a church mouse. In the church yard. <elegiac sigh>.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that Ornery and Hatrack went down for maintenance just after the Slate article went up.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Interesting that Ornery and Hatrack went down for maintenance just after the Slate article went up.

Yeah, I noticed that.

But on a more positive note, the site seems faster now. Not that it was slow before but it seems even faster.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still alive!
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
And it came back up after the Cracked article. Correlation!!!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
that cracked article was pretty straightforwardly brutal
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
also: i died
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I was healthy in spite of not having Hatrack, but I just read the Crack'd article, and died.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

yeah but was it good died or bad died
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
So explicitly bad. Orson has gotten worse than my redneck family who don't understand why I cringe when they use nigger to refer to the color black.

I don't have an argument as to why someone with hesitations about his politics should read EG or see the movie anyway. I have refused to patronize performers and creators for far less. I know this is the last place to judge OSC, but if he is inventing "urban gang militia hit squads" out of his fear of Obama/non-Mormonism/changes in society then I would hope he talks to a therapist before the internet. Or (unlikely as it is) a hate group. But that is who his statements would resonate with, I genuinely hope he finds some peace from this state he is in.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't die.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
So explicitly bad. Orson has gotten worse than my redneck family who don't understand why I cringe when they use nigger to refer to the color black.

My ex-girlfriend's grandparents had a black dog they named nigger.

*facepalm*

They are racists and they are not ashamed.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I know this is the last place to judge OSC
hardly, people lay into him hard here

though this used to be a great place to receive the arguments that article was talking about, wherein every one of his signature infamous quotes will be assured to me to be totally taken out of context and misconstrued and definitely not what to all appearances it appears to totally be, even given an incredulously reliable pattern

Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
I know this is the last place to judge OSC
hardly, people lay into him hard here

though this used to be a great place to receive the arguments that article was talking about, wherein every one of his signature infamous quotes will be assured to me to be totally taken out of context and misconstrued and definitely not what to all appearances it appears to totally be, even given an incredulously reliable pattern

When all this started I was one of the people trying to defend him. Surely what he was saying wasn't that bad was it? Unfortunately the years have passed and he just keeps spewing the exact same nonsense with even more determination so I think the whole "out of context" thing is out the window. Even I can't excuse it anymore, (expletive and speculation on his mental state deleted). Really is a shame.

[ August 24, 2013, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Wingracer ]

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I disagree, but man, it is uncool to say it that blatantly.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

whatever, why not just be direct about it. my honest to god most straightforward interpretation of his last article, like, i swear, if card was my literal best friend in the universe and i was looking him straight in the eye, face to face, and i considered him my undying friend, would be: "why in the everloving **** did you write that crap. what do you expect to get out of it. what are you doing to yourself. my god, stop. the absolute last thing YOU need to be doing is doing stuff that drifts into racist dogwhistle crap. stop. stop. what are you doing."

and really seriously that's the truth. it's easy to just pick at someone you never knew or liked, but this has to be hell on supporters, erstwhile or other. even the pathological defenses have awkwardly squirmed under the rug, and this was a place that once celebrated the"beautiful" courage of articles about how gay couples were playing dress up in adults clothes.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Then express that to him via PM or email.

------------
Wingracer: I need you to edit your comment.

Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

------------

Expletive removed. If anything else in the post is offensive, just ban me now because that's as nice as I can be on this.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Wingracer: I don't want to ban you. I appreciate the edit.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

------------

Because that's what he needs- all of the people telling him, because they know him through his writing better than most, that he's seriously losing his footing, all sequestered into pms going to an email directory he never reads.

Just saying, have whatever rules you want for the forum, but you're not fooling anybody suggesting he's going to be reached in any way. This is about bad publicity and marketing, not about the best way to actually communicate with him. I understand your position- I do that for a living.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

That is a very sinical view. You may be right, but I hope not.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
We can PM or email Card? How did I not know about this?
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

He is on the board...username: Orson Scott Card
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You can email the Pope and the President too.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

------------

Because that's what he needs- all of the people telling him, because they know him through his writing better than most, that he's seriously losing his footing, all sequestered into pms going to an email directory he never reads.

Just saying, have whatever rules you want for the forum, but you're not fooling anybody suggesting he's going to be reached in any way. This is about bad publicity and marketing, not about the best way to actually communicate with him. I understand your position- I do that for a living.

I grow tired of the accusation that I'm being disingenuous here. You know perfectly well I am not trying to deceive or fool anybody on Hatrack.

I am certain that Mrs. Card checks both sides of the forum regularly, especially the other side. I myself, got a message to Mr. Card the first time I ever posted here, and that was what lead me to stay here.

You can go here, to contact the Cards.

http://www.hatrack.com/contact.shtml

I have no reason to believe that those communiques are ignored.

If you had an email you wanted to get to Mr. Card purely out of concern, I would communicate with them and see about getting it to him. I met with them both fairly recently, and felt very much like they both love this community. They had many nice things to say about the community.

Until the day comes that they instruct me not to bother them about emails people from people on Hatrack wish to send them, then the present truth is they want to hear from people, especially those who care about them.

Be one of those people.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Orincoro is right. I've seen nothing in Card's politics for years now-his national, publicized politics-that would indicate he'd welcome an actual discussion on such matters, and it wasn't always like that, either. Card has long since used up his measure of 'assume the best'-and he's done that by making a political habit of assuming the worst.

-------

Does anyone know if the default posts shown time was always 10 days? I really can't remember what it was before the switch.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Rakeesh: I would not expect he wishes to discuss and debate his mental state or ethics here. Few would. That does not mean he would not be willing to read the opinions of readers here regarding things he has posted online.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it's unlikely he would, and I wouldn't criticize him for it if he didn't make such a routine point of doing so to others.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I agree it's unlikely he would, and I wouldn't criticize him for it if he didn't make such a routine point of doing so to others.

He certainly isn't calling out anybody here, nor does he go to the pages of those he is criticizing to do so.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Final Thought:

Math is the proof of God.

Get it? Proof, as in a Mathematical Proof?
And also evidence.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

"My Brain is only a receiver, in the core of the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength, and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists."

-Nikola Tesla.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Just like the Ansible. Boom.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I call it the Quantum Connection.

Same difference.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

What is better than Circular Logic?

Answer: Spherical Logic.

Definition: Logic that is perceptually the same independent of the viewpoint or mode of analysis from which it is considered or observed.

Spherical Logic therefore, is Love.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

A Logic that perceptually the same independent of the viewpoint or mode of analysis from which it is considered or Observed would appear to be Truth.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

With the lowering of his right eyebrow and the raising of his left, he brought his left hand from his over his mouth and swept the whole of it under his chin, then gesticulated a circle to form an open palm.

Lowering his head, he pierced EH3's consciousness and said "I challenge you to a game of Chess."

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
That is some weird ass spamming.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I believe you mean "Genius".
Samprimary
Member # 8561

No, it's "crazy." You're having an episode and need to stop posting and go get help.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

*Rolls eyes*

If you can out-smart me, I'll take your advice.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

You don't know how advertising works, do you?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
If you can out-smart me

Sure, cause this always works for grossly disorganized grandiosity and asyndetic thinking, or whatever.

Tell me why "Pinary" is a really groundbreaking discovery. What have you discovered? Why is it important? What is its proof? Why is "spherical logic" "love?" Why is the universe observing itself? Why is magnetism the supersymmetry of gravity? What does supersymmetry mean? Why is the awesomo particle the Higgs-Boson of magnetism? What does THAT mean? What's the HIggs-Boson's relation to magnetism?

Reticulum
Member # 8776

1. Consider that the threshold for Scientific discovery is 95%. Pinary creates Li (9.516), which, divided by Pi^2 equals =~.96. It proves that Pi is Irrational. Sounds Irrational, right?

2. Love is the same for everyone.

3. The Universe Observes itself so that it may alter outcomes.

4. You mean "Hiow is Magnetism the SupersSymmetry of Gravity?", as that is Science. Your question is a philosophical one.

5. SuperSymmetry: For every Particle, Force an Energy, there is an equal and opposite Particle, Force, and Energy.

6. Because Physics.

7. Spin Number: The angle at which any particle's rotational axis (X,Y,Z) is momentarily situated plus the number of the coordinated direction in which it is spinning (net force); (Aw) plus the rate at which the particle spins (P-Spin); (xSm/Ss). The combination of these would be Awesomo Vector Force.

The units of the Awesomo Particle are Awesomo's. Spin units are String Meters Per String Second (Sm/Ss).

An object falls to Earth at 9.8m/s.

Magnetism is Gravity spinning in the opposite direction. SuperSymmetry.

Balanced and Opposite Forces are Same Particles rotating at exactly equal and opposite proportions.

Magnetism: Particle A (14,9,12) + (15Aw)+ (22Sm/Ss).

Gravitation: Particle -A (12,9,14) + (15m/s) + (22Sm/Ss)

The Magneato-Graviton is the fundamental particle of Black Hole Physics. It is the particle that results, when Awesomo Particles collide with Higgs Bosons amid the Largely Randomized Chaos (LRC) of the nature of the interactions of the four fundamental forces during a Supernovae Event.

As Gravitation-Magnetic reactions happen on Earth, a straight vector line (representing Magnetism acting in opposition to Gravity) is produced when an object is picked up using a magnet. That is to say, when the forces of Magnetism and Gravitation are simultaneously projecting force within the same field, they always exert equal and opposite forces upon one another.

Upon the production of Iron within the core a Star that will Supernovae, the star nearly instantly dies and begins to explode.

What happens to the Magnetosphere of a Star when it SuperNovae's?

What is the nature of the interaction between the Magnetosphere and Gravitation as are forces exchanged during a Supernovae?

More to come!

Reticulum
Member # 8776

Oscillation Theory
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Relativity is Relatively correct.

The Speed of Light is not constant.

Radioactive rates of decay are the Universe's constants.

Time doesn't exist.

0 is a real number.

Signed,
The Universe.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
You're having an episode. Get back on your meds, and/or get professional help.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Equation of Time:

T = 1/X-->0.

Time equals 1 over the Limit of X as X approaches 0.

The Limit of Imagination is what you Imagine it is not.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

desmos.com/calculator.

How to square the circle:

(X-1)^1000 + (y-1)^2 = 1.
(X-1)^2 + (y-1)^2 = 1.

Try this, then call me crazy. Lol, Monkeys.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

This is the Physics of my book.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.