FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tom Clancy has passed away.

Author Topic: Tom Clancy has passed away.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Just found out Tom Clancy passed away. I really enjoyed his early stuff.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind Red Storm Rising and Hunt for the Red October so much but virtually everything else is poorly researched schlock at best and racist propaganda at worst. While Ralph Peters is borderline terrible in his political opinions Red Army I found to be thoroughly enjoyable and approachable read so I'ld heartedly recommend him if you liked Early Tom Clancy as its a engaging look at how the Soviets might pull a victory in a WWIII scenario.

Clancy is probably the Ur-Example of everything wrong in modern authors of military techno-thrillers in the almost compulsive need for the authors to segway their politics counter productively into the narrative no matter how patently ridiculous. Re: Empire/Posleen Wars/I'm sure there's more..

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

I agree but like I said, I didn't get much of that from his early stuff. I particularly liked Cardinal of the Kremlin. Not his most famous work but for some reason, it really worked for me.

Fortunately, him and other such authors going off the deep end isn't a problem for me either since I got tired of the whole military/spy thriller genre many years ago.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps threads mourning the death of well known people isn't the best place to trash them? This isn't the first time you've done this and I know I for one would appreciate it if you stopped doing so.

I had a lot of fun reading Tom Clancy as a kid. I still like reading his stuff when I'm in the mood for something fast and fun. I guess I always considered his books the literary equivalent of a summer action film. Red Storm Rising is my favorite, but the early Jack Ryan stuff is great too.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Three of them made rather good movies...
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

The only movie I really liked was Red October. The rest were ok but nothing special but THfRO is an all time classic for me.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Patriot Games was fun. Not amazing, but fun.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought both Harrison Ford movies were quite good. But yeah, Red October is the only classic.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
RIP. Red Storm Rising: still his best work.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of his novels, but I've played a number of the video games with his stamp of approval on them. The Splinter Cell games I've played were very very good. Regardless, RIP. I know for some people this is a huge loss.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the film version of "Clear and Present Danger." That's what I want in a movie -- a hero to root for,, a labyrinth plot, and some action!
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
I particularly liked Cardinal of the Kremlin. Not his most famous work but for some reason, it really worked for me.

That was my favorite too. I was always a bit surprised that it never got a movie, even though so many of his other books around then did.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.