FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There's this movie coming out November 1st it's called Ender's Game (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There's this movie coming out November 1st it's called Ender's Game
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
any1 interested
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
barely
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not craigslist.

And yes. To hell with the controversy.

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I will be there as close to opening night as possible. I can't wait to see it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
How could I not see it?

That doesn't mean I don't expect to be disappointed.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I might catch it in the theaters a few weeks after release, or might end up catching it on RedBox or Netflix.

Trailers haven't impressed me, and have seriously lowered my expectations. Not quite as badly as the trailers for World War Z, which I was eagerly anticipating as a film and ended up skipping entirely, but in that same vein.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
If I ignore the listless Harrison Ford voiceover from the first trailer, then it looks potentially good. I can't believe they let that slip through. Here's hoping he mustered a bit more energy for the actual performance.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they were trying to give a tip of the hat to the theatrical release of Blade Runner.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll wait for it to come out on video, unless people give me a good reason to do otherwise. Based on what I've seen, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be disappointed.

---

edit: For me, the real killer was having a resolute, engaged Ender blowing up the Bugger's planet. Even more than the Michael Beyifying, that indicated to me that they're looking for a block buster movie, not one that stayed true to the book.

[ October 04, 2013, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't much coming out this Fall that I really want to see. But I might go see EG as a matinee. Not paying weekend nighttime prices for it. The trailer is still a little off putting for the reasons Squicky described above. But I'll still give it a whirl.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't know from the trailers i was wondering if there was going to be enough cgi
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I am not going to lie; I definitely plan on seeing it. I may even spring for the 3D IMAX experience depending on circumstances.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers always lie, I only saw one to have a look at the film aesthetic. I'll withhold judgements until its out.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious about the IMAX - anyone know if they filmed in 70mm? How much?

And did they really make the film in 3D or convert it? I'd imagine OSC, even though he doesn't have a ton of influence, would use most of it to avoid that?

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Gunna go see it...likely opening night, but at least opening weekend.

For those judging this movie harshly by the trailer...for shame!

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why should I be ashamed of thinking that the trailer makes the movie look like a piece of crap?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer I saw made the movie seem no different from any other "only our special hero can save the entire world from DOOM" movie that comes out five times a year. That's not what made Ender's Game the book interesting or compelling* to me, nor did it excite me into wanting to see the movie.

Someone (probably on Hatrack) pointed me to an interview with Asa Butterfield, who claimed the movie adaptation was fantastic. He can't say otherwise, but let's assume his judgment is sound.

I don't think there's anything wrong with stating that the trailer doesn't properly sell the story.

*The best aspect of Ender's Game is the emotional treatment of the social stresses and pressures on gifted children.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://31.media.tumblr.com/df2e3ee0b48562542b684830c6b460b2/tumblr_mk8d1vkdYW1rri3f0o1_1280.jpg

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/blueorange500_229.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/orangeblue-contrast-in-movie-posters/

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

The trailer has almost nothing to do with the movie. The shame comes from not even giving the movie a chance. If you are on this board it's safe to assume you are a fan of OSC's writing.

Risking $10 and two hours is not a lot to ask of your fan base.

For shame!

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
You're risking an opportunity to watch a better movie.

You know something, though, go watch the trailers for Batman Begins, they're terrible. gr8 movie tho

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

Some of those are good movies though.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
The trailer has almost nothing to do with the movie. The shame comes from not even giving the movie a chance.
Like I said, the trailers, besides being very Michael Bey-like, showed an engaged and resolute Ender blowing up the Bugger's homeworld in a "Heck Yeah!" moment. I get that trailers are often very different from the actual movie, but that scene is shown and the Ender portrayed in that scene is completely wrong for a movie that is trying to channel the essence of the book. This is the beginning emotional climax of Ender's Game, the book, with the finale of this climax being the revelation that it was real the whole time - which the trailer has also given away.

I think theamazeeaz said it very well:
quote:
The best aspect of Ender's Game is the emotional treatment of the social stresses and pressures on gifted children.
For Ender to not be the emotionally beaten down wreck who is just trying to give up and instead be pretty much the opposite of that, means that they either didn't try for this or did it very poorly.

I'm not interested in watching Ender's Game done in the style of "Harry Potter in space!!!", which it seems to me the makers are going for. I could be wrong about that and I'm open to it, but yea, I'm not going to have the blind faith that you seem to be advocating.

---

People get away with making bad movies based on famous works, especially sci-fi works, because fans of these works constantly give up this blind faith. I'm not going to feel any shame for not contributing to this.

[ October 06, 2013, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

Um, sometimes trailers show scenes that ARENT even in the movie, or taken horribly out of context. That could have been Ender at one of the previous simulation games for example.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see it, but it seems absurd to me to insist we shouldn't expect, or that it's somehow unreasonable to be concerned about, the notion of a major Hollywood book adaptation of an intricate, powerful emotional heavy hitter that *also* features a lot of action...to make the film more about 'splosions. I won't be remotely surprised, before and after the trailer, if that happens.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I just don't equate "seeing the movie and judging it on its own merits" and "blind faith".

Judging a two hour movie by thirty random seconds of footage put togeather by some ad exec not associated with the movie in any shape or form is judging a book by its cover. And I say less faith then is deserved by supposed fans.

For. Shame.

tertiaryadjunct
Member # 12989

- posted      Profile for tertiaryadjunct           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Like I said, the trailers, besides being very Michael Bey-like, showed an engaged and resolute Ender blowing up the Bugger's homeworld in a "Heck Yeah!" moment. I get that trailers are often very different from the actual movie, but that scene is shown and the Ender portrayed in that scene is completely wrong for a movie that is trying to channel the essence of the book.

Do you understand how editing works? You can slap any two shots side-by-side. The point of a trailer is to get as many people as possible interested in the movie, not (for better or worse) actually accurately portray the movie.

My personal award for Most BS Trailer is Bridge to Terabithia. Let's make kids think this is a fun, magical fantasy movie... Not a drama about a boy who has to come to terms with his best friend's death.

There's no telling if Ender's Game is going to be good or bad until it's out, and at this point I could see it swinging either way. All I know is that after two decades of waiting, I have no choice but to watch it and cry myself to sleep either way...

Posts: 89 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
And I say less faith then is deserved by supposed fans.

For. Shame.

I don't understand this sentiment. I am supposed to feel a sense of allegiance to any adaption of books that I'm a fan of? Because I don't.

I think you may be mistaking being a fan with being a fanboy.

Ultimately, I loved the book. I hope the movie is great. If it is, I'll probably go see it. It's just that as things stand, I think I'll be disappointed and not enjoy it much, so, unless something comes along to change my mind about that, I'll not go out of my way to see it.

Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
I just don't equate "seeing the movie and judging it on its own merits" and "blind faith".

Judging a two hour movie by thirty random seconds of footage put togeather by some ad exec not associated with the movie in any shape or form is judging a book by its cover. And I say less faith then is deserved by supposed fans.

For. Shame.

If everybody sees every movie and judges it on its own merits, that would be handing Hollywood a blank check to make whatever crap they want. You have to do some evaluation (a lot, I would say) before you go to the theater.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

I just bought this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHpT9B7e7-Q

what does everyone think???

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

MrSqueek: I have no problem with seeking opinions to decide. However I'd say I am in no way mistaking being a fan and a fan boy. Fan boy is "I'm gunna love this movie no matter what! I just wrote a fanfic about it."

I could tell from the ads that Starship Troopers was going to blow donkies. Because no power suits. But the EG trailer is hardly conclusive.

What bugs me are the people here have declaired it is bad before seeing it and -planning NOT to see it-.

Dest: I was clearly not referring to "everyone" and "every movie".

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

sw are you going to watch the east???
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
MrSqueek: I have no problem with seeking opinions to decide. However I'd say I am in no way mistaking being a fan and a fan boy. Fan boy is "I'm gunna love this movie no matter what! I just wrote a fanfic about it."

I could tell from the ads that Starship Troopers was going to blow donkies. Because no power suits. But the EG trailer is hardly conclusive.

What bugs me are the people here have declaired it is bad before seeing it and -planning NOT to see it-.

Dest: I was clearly not referring to "everyone" and "every movie".

I don't get it. If we can't use a trailer to decide whether to see a movie or not, then how do we do it at all? Isn't that the whole point of a trailer ?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

There are other things, but there's nothing wrong with forming expectations with what you know, and making a "decision" , although it's not necessarily final.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Peer reviews...critical reviews...word of mouth...etc etc etc.

I never said trailers are useless...just that this one is inconclusive.

And this is not just some random movie. This effing Ender's Game! We have been wanting, fearing, hoping, whatevering for this movie for decades!

But hey, the trailer isn't as perfect as we could hope, so lets just skip the whole thing. Bleh!

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

I read Ender's Game eight years ago and that's less than one decade.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently teaching this book to my 8th grade class. I've never had more engagement as a teacher. Never. I've not experienced anything quite like it.

My kids are desperate to see the movie, but one of them quite intelligently pointed out that because so much of the book takes place inside Ender's head, they don't think the movie will portray it all that well. So even this new fan (who had never read the book before starting it last week in my class) understands that this is a tough book to make a faithful adaptation of.

Still, I will see it because my students all want to and I want to be able to discuss it with them. And I'm excited, but I'm approaching it much as I did LOTR - go and look at the pretty, and remember that one of my favorite books is still intact, even if the movie isn't perfect.

But tomorrow, we are hanging enemy gates from the ceiling in my room and using our stick figures made from pipe cleaners to act out battle room scenes. [Smile]

As I was leaving the school Friday a student hollered out "The Enemy's Gate is DOWN!" to me.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

I see people on the bus reading it.
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, that's awesome.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

It seems that the argument is that it's somehow premature to be leery of the film on the basis of the trailer, because trailers are inconclusive. But...it doesn't sound like that applies in reverse. Does someone get a 'for shame!' If they say 'this flick is gonna be awesome, can't wait!' On the basis of the trailer?

It's not a big deal and I don't mean it as an insult or anything, but this *does* smack of fanboy reasoning-critical opinions, even reserved skeptical opinions, are rejected out of hand in emotional terms.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

It is a little weird to me that the movie Hatrack has basically spent 14+ years talking about (sometimes very heatedly) is now being greeted on Hatrack mostly by "meh." I would think if any movie would get the benefit of the doubt here, this would be the one, despite a mediocre trailer.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, I'm still going to see it and I know the trailer could be misleading-in fact I wouldn't be surprised. That said, I would perhaps be *more* surprised if Hollywood didn't miss something in the transfer for such an intricate, emotional, internally driven story as EG.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Well, I'm still going to see it and I know the trailer could be misleading-in fact I wouldn't be surprised. That said, I would perhaps be *more* surprised if Hollywood didn't miss something in the transfer for such an intricate, emotional, internally driven story as EG.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel.

I'm kind of excited to see it just because of what it is, but the trailers I've seen are dampening that excitement.

I know they have to market it to a wider audience, but, eek.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

what's going on here is simple beyond explanation. movie's not out, people have nothing more in-depth to analyze as they wait for this thing to hit advance critic screenings (and if they don't advance screen this thing, lol forever.) so people are picking the trailers to death.

and even if they aren't, the trailers are not going to inspire any weary moviegoer. Not just because they're imo kind of bad trailers (they're kind of crappy and Ford's voiceover seems remarkably phoned in) but more that they're absurdly generic, like they just went full blown made by numbers, or just noodled over to hollywood's version of Ikea and bought "TRÄILOR" and assembled it in a whole paint-by-numbers thing.

no jokes, it is devoutly paced in the tired Inception format (bwawwwmmm hits included) with flashy flash flash shots that flash in and out and flash to black and flash flash, and — as I poked at before — the ENTIRE thing is rigidly running the blue/orange heat motif, and they're really obviously selling this as a hard action cgi-fest, complete with a shot they probably hunted forever for that implies to trailer audiences a love interest arc for Ender.

So people are really meh because the trailer pings all their meh centers and also makes people wonder if the way they are blatantly and obviously selling the movie in the trailers is likely indicative of their priorities in how they wrote, designed, and filmed the movie. it is for that reason that I anticipate great use of the words "rushed" or "fast" or "forced" in describing the movie's pace and tone unless the trailers really were a total fakeout after all.

oh and also people's expectations of the movie often show how people are using this event or their interepretation of the trailers as something as a mental canvas for their disillusion, distaste, or loyalty to the author, so there's that

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Movies are expensive. Not just the ticket price - but the time spent arranging for babysitters, the time in the theater itself, etc, etc.

We have become very selective of what movies we will actually see in a theater. They have to be pictures that *demand* to be seen on the big screen - that would lose a lot if seen on the "smaller" 65" screen in our home. Gravity, Pacific Rim, etc.

The only ways to discern these movies from the rest are trailers and reviews (either published or by friends). If the trailer knocks our socks off, we'll consider making a point of seeing a movie during its opening week... if it doesn't, we'll wait to hear reviews and maybe catch it in the theater a few weeks later.

Otherwise, we'll catch it on RedBox or Roku... or put our names on the waiting list for the library copy.

Ender's Game is a great book that I've read many times - and the trailer has left me entirely flat. Given that, it's a "wait and see" for me.

Life is more important than wasting money and time on mediocre movies - and I'm not ashamed of being selective based on trailers and reviews of where to spend that time and money.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Yeah, the trailers don't do anything for me. There's absolutely no soul in them. Maybe the formics put them together? They give away nothing about Ender's story. I would like to have seen a trailer about Ender and Bean in the Battle Room at least, and forget about the space battles at the end. There were some huge opportunities missed in the making of these trailers.

The film clip is pretty good, though, IMO, giving me hope that the trailers are indeed a bit deceptive about the pace of the action in the movie and what (I hope) is central in the story, i.e. Ender training his jeesh.

We don't go see many movies in the theater either, for the same reason--it costs a buttload for tix and a babysitter, and usually the movie is something we'd enjoy just as much at home. But we do go to the ones we're really excited about regardless of what they look like beforehand. For Ender's Game, I have absolutely no intention of waiting to see what everyone else thinks first. I want to judge for myself and then be able to be part of the conversation about it. If it's crap, I don't want to hear it from anyone else first. It's a movie I've anticipated for a long time and I feel, however absurdly, that I have something of a stake in its outcome.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I agree with the above three posts.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

clip

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64517

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Ford is phoning it a lot eh?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Off the top of my head. They pronounced Bonzo incorrectly. They make a specific point in the book of saying it's Bone-so not bahn-zo.

Dragon army never won a third of their matches, not zero.

And Ford's Graff is just a little...flat. Graff always seemed a bit closer to Clooney than Bord. He's a little sassy, he's genuinely invested and emotional.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Ford is phoning it a lot eh?

yes, his voiceover in the trailers was bad
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.