FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There's this movie coming out November 1st it's called Ender's Game (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There's this movie coming out November 1st it's called Ender's Game
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody is interested, Mr. Card has seen a rough cut and he said
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

...Oh did he?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
Just went and shook my magic moral ball and it came back nah so I'll be torrenting the film a few days after it's out and if it's not horrible I'll catch it in the theater.
Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The clip looks good. "Bahnzo" could be subtle fun being poked by Graff.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
What did he say, BB?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
The clip looks good. "Bahnzo" could be subtle fun being poked by Graff.

It could be. But it's a joke no one would get if they hadn't read the book unless they go out of their way to explain it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
quote:

...Oh did he?

Hobbes [Smile]

I was being mean. [Smile]

He says he thought it was a good movie. He's happy with how it came out. And of course it's not the book but no movie was going to be the book anyway.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
quote:

...Oh did he?

Hobbes [Smile]

I was being mean. [Smile]

He says he thought it was a good movie. He's happy with how it came out. And of course it's not the book but no movie was going to be the book anyway.

I know I'll go see it if it's good or not (and if it gets good reviews or not). I'm way too invested to skip it. How good it is will determine how many times I go back. Honestly, even if it's terrible I'll still be excited that the Ender's Game movie finally came out. I hope it's good, not just so that I can enjoy it, but so it can open up more of Card's books for translation to the big screen. I don't know how much this recent "boycott OSC" push has impacted the chances of that happening, but I know there's a lot more of his work I'd love to see adapted to cinema.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game works as a standalone movie.

Speaker might translate well onto the big screen, but I don't think Xenocide or Children of the Mind would.

Some of OSC's other books may work. Pastwatch, Homebody, Treasure Box, Lost Boys, and Invasive Procedures come to mind would probably all translate well onto the big screen.

There is so much that could be done with the Mithermages universe that it would probably make an awesome TV Series......though probably on the CW. [Razz]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

The Shadow novels might make it onto the screen, but the ones I want to see are others from his stand-alone collection.

Hobbes [Smile]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Lovelock!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I have huge doubts that we'll ever seen any of the books directly translated to film. The best we'll get is a movie sequel that "borrows" material from the novels very sparingly. Like maybe they'll adapt Ender in Exile, but have aliens attack and have Ender basically turn into an action hero. I can't really see it turning out any other way.

As for his other stories, I'd be fine with seeing a TV show based on the Mithermages, like Geraine said.

I would LOVE to see something for The Worthing Saga. I doubt it will ever happen, though.

Pathfinder also seems like it might be plausible, but he'd have to finish the story for that to happen.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
I really think Pastwatch could make a terrific movie if done right.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a ten part Band of Brothers style Silmarillion miniseries
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Wyrms and Treason would make great movies!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I think those two are too weird. *I* want to see those movies, but I don't think they'd appeal to a studio.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...World War Z, Promeithius and Thor were all weird!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I'd pitch them for a claymation production, maybe.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you hear? Seventh Son is coming out next year!
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-Put
Member # 11752

- posted      Profile for J-Put           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Like I said, the trailers, besides being very Michael Bey-like, showed an engaged and resolute Ender blowing up the Bugger's homeworld in a "Heck Yeah!" moment.

Watch it again. He's not blowing up the planet in that scene, there just happens to be a planet in the background. I think it's actually going to be his first battle where he uses the MD Device to take out the whole bugger fleet in one shot.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.