FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need your prayers

Author Topic: Need your prayers
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
My son Stephen is in the ICU. You may remember that he had a heart transplant almost 12 years ago this December. He has been having some trouble breathing and pain in his chest. We took him to the ER and they decided to admit him.

I don't know much else but your prayers are appreciated.

(I am going to put updates here so they are easier to find)

UPDATE 8/30/14 at 1:20
He is not responding as well to treatment as they had hoped. They will be trying a new medication to try to get the heart to start working properly again. It isn't pumping well and this puts his kidneys at risk. He is still very critical. Please continue to pray for us. I am getting really concerned that he may not make it through this.

[ August 30, 2014, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Wendybird ]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Wendybird)))
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
hope all is well
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

Update: He is on oxygen and meds to stimulate his heart function and showing slight improvement. He is also being monitored closely for urine output and kidney function. Labs weren't good this morning. They are doing a heart biopsy at noon to check for signs of rejection. Continued prayers are appreciated.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
((Prayers for Stephen and family))
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, i hope everything turns out ok
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Praying, Wendybird.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no. I can't pray but I'll be thinking of you and him and hoping he's okay.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Said a prayer for you guys right now. Please keep us informed as much as you can.

I know it's silly to say "If there's anything I can do...." but if there IS..don't hesitate to ask.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Will keep you in my prayers tonight Wendybird.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope all is well. I just prayed.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Wendy: Just wanted to say I'll continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. I'm sure everybody here is still behind you.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Yes, this thread keeps coming to my mind. I'm really hoping everything is alright.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Same here.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

[Frown]

Link.

Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Wendy.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Oh no. I'm so sorry.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi wendy. Take time as soon as you are able to get support and take care of yourself.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh no. [Frown]
Wendybird
Member # 84

Thanks BB for posting the link. Its been a month now and it still hurts like it was today. My 12 year old is struggling a lot. I'm getting ready to quit my job and shift to just subbing so I can be home with him after school. He isn't handling being alone very well. I'm struggling too. Finally washed some of his laundry today and folded it. I just can't believe he isn't coming home. When I lost my mom 4 years ago it took my breath away but losing my son has taken the life out of me.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Wendybird)))

I sometimes used to think divorce was worse than death. But reading your experience helps me realize I just don't know what the latter feels like.

I'm so glad your son has you to take care of him.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Wendy, I know that we don't really know each other very well, but I've spent a lot of my life in cardiology and ICU waiting rooms. Every time I see a hospital I either think of my brother, or try really hard not to. I dont know how it feels to lose a child, I lost my brother who raised me and I that is not the same at all.

I feel for you and everyone who knew your son.

This is a community that has been very good for my mother. I hope it helps.
Formomsonly.org

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Has there been any grief counseling made available to you and your 12 year old?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Wendy.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I would not for one second try to pretend I know what you're going through. There is no way I could know.

My heart is broken for you. I am so, so sorry. [Frown]

Just know there are plenty of people here who may not have ever met you in person, but DO care about you. Again, so very sorry. [Frown]

Wendybird
Member # 84

Sam - We are meeting with a grief support group once a week. My 12 yo is doing a little better now but I know he is holding back a bit. My best friend lost her husband 4 years ago and she said for her kids they didn't really grieve until after the first year was over.

We're holding up. My last day of work was yesterday which was hard because I love my job and the kids I taught but I am really trying to listen to my instincts and my body both of which are telling me I am pushing too hard and doing too much and have to cut back or risk a hard crash. Hopefully I'll do my sub training on Thurs. so I can start picking up jobs in our district and keep some income coming in. It will give me flexibility to take a day and rest when I need it.

Thanks Belle. This place has gotten me through some tough times and even though I don't post a lot or come by as frequently as I used to it is still part of my community.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.