FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Fat Acceptance Movement (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Fat Acceptance Movement
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's pretty much how it went down, although you can't really do the event justice without attempting to describe the pained smile on my face as I ignominiously flopped around on the patio.

The best part, for me, was the host's reaction: "Oh my God, I'm so sorry! It's never done that before!" As if I thought maybe it had.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
they were just trying to be sure you knew that unlike in similar cases, they were expressly against refurbishing previously detonated chairs and these were all new
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Oh, there was no way in hell I was going to let anyone know that I'd impaled myself on a chair bit. I went to the bathroom under the pretext of cleaning off my clothes, patched the hole, and carried on.

I think I overestimated the size of the chair peice in question. I was imagining a jagged shard about a foot long and a few inches wide gouged into your leg with blood spurting and people screaming and so forth.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
"It was a jagged shard about a foot long. I had to help land the chair, before grabbing a rifle and getting engaged in a sortie with the Taliban itself."

- Brian Williams

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Those plastic patio chairs are terrible. They get weaker after a year or two of UV exposure.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In all seriousness, it should be noted that most things intended for standing or sitting are generally rated for around 250 pounds, and with safety margins means that 300 pounds is the danger zone. A ladder rated for 300 pounds is much more expensive and much harder to find than a ladder rated for 250, and will probably hold a 300 pound man; fat people get to make that sort of financial decision all the time. [Smile]

Rides at waterparks and amusement parks straddle the same "maaaaaaybe" scenario. Perhaps you can sit on this inner tube and not sink immediately into the murky depths. Perhaps the safety seat won't collapse the instant you start accelerating downward. It's always exciting to find out.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
What I heard while reading: Welcome to the (rather less exciting) Danger Zone
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Climbin' up your ladder,
Listen to her howl an' moan:
Metal under tension,
Beggin' you to go real slow.

Highway to the Danger Zone!
Climb into the Danger Zone!

Steppin' onto plywood;
Spreadin' out some shingles tonight.
Odds got you crashing through the attic
And barely finishing the job alive.

You weigh enough; you're
Right there in the Danger Zone!

You never take a second step
Until you're sure the first won't overload;
You never know what you can't do
Until you find a rotten spot where you can't go.

Out along the edge
Is somehow always where you need to be --
But landing in the hedge
Is getting kind of old, you see.

I'm gonna take you
Roofing in the Danger Zone!
Falling through the Danger Zone!

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
You have a gift, Tom.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.