FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The cartoonist has no idea how net neutrality works

Author Topic: The cartoonist has no idea how net neutrality works
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://agoodcartoon.tumblr.com/post/112519623990/the-cartoonist-has-no-idea-how-net-neutrality

SUBTITLE AND ALTERNATE THREAD CONCEPT: one-panel political cartoons are awful and getting worse by the year

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I was driving the other night and was flipping through radio stations and stopped on the Christian News station for a minute. "Defend your first Amendment rights, protect religious freedoms, call or write your congressman today to stop so called 'Net Neutrality' laws and keep America free."
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
they gon ride that whole 'everything is a threat to your freedoms as a good christian' horse straight into the ground, where — dessicated and miserable, having just been ridden through "Protect Your Religious Freedoms: Stop Bi-Annual Commerce Taxes for Dam Upkeep, and keep america FREE" it will breathe its last
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
I was driving the other night and was flipping through radio stations and stopped on the Christian News station for a minute. "Defend your first Amendment rights, protect religious freedoms, call or write your congressman today to stop so called 'Net Neutrality' laws and keep America free."

Good. Destroying Net Neutrality is pretty unamerican and all of the above. I was hoping someone would pitch it this way.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I am likely in the minority here, but I'm against Net Neutrality.

Put the power in the hands of the government, and the companies with the most lobbying power are going to end up writing the regulations.

This article pretty much sums up how I feel:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2014/05/14/am-i-the-only-techie-against-net-neutrality/

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
As opposed to those same companies imposing the kinds of control they seek anyway, without having to proposition politicians?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, it's a pretty hack article regarding its politics, Geraine. There are some useful points-a deep distrust of the weaving together of corporate and government interest, for example-but he swiftly pivots to tried and sometimes true conservative rhetoric.

Such as 'some people view government as utterly benevolent and all seeing parent', paraphrasing. Really? Have you ever met anyone you spoke to for more than a short time for whom that is remotely true?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
quote:

Good. Destroying Net Neutrality is pretty unamerican and all of the above. I was hoping someone would pitch it this way.
I'm not sure if you read that correctly, unfortunately.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
So that tumblr was all kinds of great.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not sure if you read that correctly, unfortunately.
Net neutrality is the status quo, right, so stopping the laws (what the radioperson suggests) would theoretically save net neutrality.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
I know I am likely in the minority here, but I'm against Net Neutrality.

Put the power in the hands of the government, and the companies with the most lobbying power are going to end up writing the regulations.

This article pretty much sums up how I feel:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2014/05/14/am-i-the-only-techie-against-net-neutrality/

I would be interested to read your thoughts on net neutrality in your own words, Geriane. It could be the start of an interesting discussion.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
So that tumblr was all kinds of great.

I lost it at "Obama wears a red tie but dreams of wearing a blue tie. A… cartoon."
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Net neutrality is the status quo, right, so stopping the laws (what the radioperson suggests) would theoretically save net neutrality.

No, you don't understand what the regulations are attempting to do. It is true that net neutrality supporters mostly want to keep the internet functioning as it does now. However, there are both existing and theoretical deviations from neutrality that regulation supporters view as detrimental to the market that they hope to prevent.

I think the main problems that the US internet service provider market faces are posed by a widespread lack of competition within local markets. For the last decade, I've never had another choice for what I consider adequate broadband besides Comcast, so Comcast can get away with high prices and all sorts of gross behavior without losing customers' business. A small portion of their current gross behavior is something I would consider a violation of net neutrality.

The big ISPs say that the hypothetical net neutrality violations people are worried about will never happen, because people could switch ISPs if they were dissatisfied with their misbehaving one. But in practice, that isn't the case. In the absence of the market protecting consumers' interests, regulation is another option.

I'm a web developer dependent on net neutrality in practice to ensure the internet is a platform I can develop for.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Why couldn't another ISP come in and offer the same service at a better price? Is it the cost of laying down lines that is prohibitive?
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
Why couldn't another ISP come in and offer the same service at a better price? Is it the cost of laying down lines that is prohibitive?

Yes, but not just monetarily speaking

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.