FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Gift Exchange 2015 (Done!) Appreciate feedback. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrack Gift Exchange 2015 (Done!) Appreciate feedback.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
My gift will not arrive by Dec. 25th. Sorry to my gift recipient- I live in Central Europe and there was just no way. But it will get there. Sorry!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure my gift should have arrived already, but I haven't heard anything from the recipient.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally sent my gift out in the mail today. It should arrive in 2-3 days.
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I sent mine out last week, it's scheduled to arrive on Christmas Eve.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent mine yesterday. i will send a bonus today if Whole Foods has them.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY! I got my present and I'm happy with it and I'm a barbarian who doesn't wait until Christmas to open Christmas presents because doom.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Cheers to Dogbreath who went all out and got me Hawaiian wine, mugs, an Obama bobblehead, a Zelazny anthology (just as I was looking for something new to read!), and this dorky Hawaiian shirt that I'm rocking! [Big Grin]

Seriously awesome gifts, thank you!

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
Cheers to Dogbreath who went all out and got me Hawaiian wine, mugs, an Obama bobblehead, a Zelazny anthology (just as I was looking for something new to read!), and this dorky Hawaiian shirt that I'm rocking! [Big Grin]

[Smile]

I'm glad you liked it! I initially wanted to get you a nice painting for your house, but they ended up being pretty ridonkulous price-wise, so I did the next best thing and got you an Obama-playing-the-Ukulele-bobble head doll. (I totally didn't just throw it in because it was in the same store as the mugs and I thought it would be hilarious... nothing like that *cough*)

Let me know what you think of the book! Have you read much by Zelazny before?

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my favorite Zelazny collection, FWIW.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I might have received my gift exchange gift?

Picture

So far no confirmation on who sent this to me. [Smile]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Tom, for the wonderful games! They are a great fit for our small household; we are always looking for things that two or three people can play. We've already had a blast with Three Cheers for Master and I'll be bringing Hey, that's my Fish and 12 Days over to my parent's house tomorrow. Merry Christmas!
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
quote:

[Smile]

I'm glad you liked it! I initially wanted to get you a nice painting for your house, but they ended up being pretty ridonkulous price-wise, so I did the next best thing and got you an Obama-playing-the-Ukulele-bobble head doll. (I totally didn't just throw it in because it was in the same store as the mugs and I thought it would be hilarious... nothing like that *cough*)

Let me know what you think of the book! Have you read much by Zelazny before?

Hawaiian Obama is my new desk companion. I think he and I will become good friends.

Zelazny has been on my to-read list since I attempted to read through all of the sci-fi greats about 10 years ago (around when I joined here), but never got around to him.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I got your gift! Thanks! I love it. I was thinking of getting colouring books.

quote:
Originally posted by ladyday:
Thank you, Tom, for the wonderful games! They are a great fit for our small household; we are always looking for things that two or three people can play. We've already had a blast with Three Cheers for Master and I'll be bringing Hey, that's my Fish and 12 Days over to my parent's house tomorrow. Merry Christmas!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have to apologize. I've had some family stuff crop up this week and haven't been able to make it to the post office. My gift will be going out on Monday and I'll be doing express post to get it there ASAP next week.

And I have to say a BIG thank you to Eisenoxyde for a real cool, thoughtful gift. Covered both my love of local things with candied almonds and my love of old books with a very old copy of Dickens Christmas stories. I like them both very much. Hoping to start a tradition when I have a family of reading A Christmas Carol to the family aloud in the week before Christmas. I'll be using this book for sure.

Thanks again.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Thank you, Syne! Your gift arrived this morning, just as we were leaving for the holidays, and has already made everyone very happy. (The kids and I are snobby tea drinkers, and I was just thinking about buying that Saga trade but hadn't bit the bullet yet.) Merry Christmas!
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
That's my favorite Zelazny collection, FWIW.

Mine too. [Smile] I've always liked his early mostly pre-Amber stuff the best. Which isn't to say I don't like his later stuff, either, and I definitely enjoyed the Amber books. There's just this raw, intense, almost musical flow to his early prose that he sort of lost or downplayed later on. ("When he was thunder in the hills the villagers lay dreaming harvest behind shutters"...)

quote:
Zelazny has been on my to-read list since I attempted to read through all of the sci-fi greats about 10 years ago (around when I joined here), but never got around to him.

Well, that makes sense, at least if you organized your list alphabetically. [Razz]

Seriously, though, he's a brilliant author. Probably one of the most influential authors of his day. I wasn't around to see the impact he had on science fiction and fantasy directly, but the more I read and flesh out a history of sorts of how the genre evolved, the more I see his influence everywhere. I really hope you enjoy it! (and I'm pretty happy that I get to be the one to introduce you to him... I was worried that maybe you already had read most of his stuff)

scifibum
Member # 7625

I'm also behind (one idea kind of didn't pan out), but expect to ship the gift on Saturday.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Thank you, Syne! Your gift arrived this morning, just as we were leaving for the holidays, and has already made everyone very happy. (The kids and I are snobby tea drinkers, and I was just thinking about buying that Saga trade but hadn't bit the bullet yet.) Merry Christmas!

Awesome! I'm glad you liked the tea. I also sent some stroopwaffles you should be getting those in a couple of days. They will go nicely with the tea and you can warm them up on the tea cup. Upton tea has some nice teas but sadly no more of that awesome prechingming I like so much that tastes a bit chocolaty. Merry Christmas! Hope you enjoy Saga. But it does get rather graphic. [Eek!]
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
And I have to say a BIG thank you to Eisenoxyde for a real cool, thoughtful gift. Covered both my love of local things with candied almonds and my love of old books with a very old copy of Dickens Christmas stories. I like them both very much. Hoping to start a tradition when I have a family of reading A Christmas Carol to the family aloud in the week before Christmas. I'll be using this book for sure.

Thanks again.

You're welcome! The nuts are from a company my dad started almost 30 years ago and when I saw the book I was sure you would like it. I tried finding when it was printed but I didn't see any dates in it.
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'll spend some time Googling to see. But based on style and materials I'd say 1920s to 1930s. I can't totally tell if it's soft cover or a hard cover that's gotten too much moisture. If it's soft cover it's probably 1930s. If it's hard cover it's probably 1910s to 1920s. I'm not as familiar with British print history so it's a great chance to study the period and see what printmaking was like at the time.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
GaalDornick got me an awesome Nicola Tesla glass and a wooden bookmark (made out of lots of different woods).

Love it! Thanks so much.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I might have received my gift exchange gift?

Picture

So far no confirmation on who sent this to me. :)

I had you and that's not what I sent. Your gift will arrive late. Sorry!
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

No worries about the delay! [Smile]

(Now I'm really confused why I got foam fingers in the mail. [Big Grin] )

Since we're fessing up, Jake, yours is from me, and on the way via UPS. I'll PM you the tracking number.

Hank
Member # 8916

I THINK I got mine. At least, I got a mysterious box from Woot.com?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:

Maybe over the next few weeks you'll start getting other foam body parts, piece by piece...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

It's worrisome that the last we heard from Hank was that a mysterious box arrived.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
I THINK I got mine. At least, I got a mysterious box from Woot.com?

Not yours.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

quote:
It's worrisome that the last we heard from Hank was that a mysterious box arrived.

Well, like scifibum, I am now very confused about who sent my OTHER mysterious gift. My roommate is a woot, inc. fanatic and we checked the label 3 times to confirm it wasn't really for her.
scifibum
Member # 7625

I honestly considered whether I might have done some late night drunk shopping and forgotten about it, but I don't think the thing I received matches any dis-inhibited desire that might come out in that situation.
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
quote:

Maybe over the next few weeks you'll start getting other foam body parts, piece by piece...
Made me laugh </belated>
scifibum
Member # 7625

Hank, I LOVE the spices you sent me. Thank you so much!

https://goo.gl/photos/UcTL5rvwzWcffSYj9

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:

Well, like scifibum, I am now very confused about who sent my OTHER mysterious gift. My roommate is a woot, inc. fanatic and we checked the label 3 times to confirm it wasn't really for her.
That's odd. I like woot as well, but I sent you a card, so you'll know when mine comes.

But I fully expect it could still be weeks. You never know with international shipping.

Hank
Member # 8916

quote:
Hank, I LOVE the spices you sent me. Thank you so much!

https://goo.gl/photos/UcTL5rvwzWcffSYj9

Yay! Glad it finally arrived!
Hank
Member # 8916

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
quote:

That's odd. I like woot as well, but I sent you a card, so you'll know when mine comes.

But I fully expect it could still be weeks. You never know with international shipping.

Well, I guess I just have to procrastinate packinf up all my holiday knick-knacks and doo-dads until it arrives, right?
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

I got my present today!

It's a robot spider. [Big Grin]

I really should have known.

Video of it in action: link

It also works surprisingly well over non-flat surfaces, too. (Like over wrinkled bedsheets towards one's unsuspecting sleeping wife...)

Thanks so much BlackBlade! This thing is pretty awesome! [Smile] I appreciate the battery pack as well.

[ January 13, 2016, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Dogbreath ]

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

You bet! I'm so glad it finally came. Be super careful with the legs. They seem to get broken quite easily especially when children handle them.

Merry Belated Christmas + Happy New Year!

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Oh. It can also make a fabulous office desk companion.
Hank
Member # 8916

It came! It came! I got two really lovely ceramic mugs from Orincoro! I am drinking hot chocolate right this very minute!
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
You bet! I'm so glad it finally came. Be super careful with the legs. They seem to get broken quite easily especially when children handle them.

Merry Belated Christmas + Happy New Year!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you as well!
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Is there anybody who hasn't yet received their gift yet?
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

I'm sorry I haven't posted what I got yet. I received 2 different kinds of very tasty German homemade cookies and some shot glasses with the logo of Miro's Coast Guard unit.

Thank you for the gifts!

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you like them. I just finished the last of my own Christmas sweets a couple days ago. I guess that means the season is truly over.

I have not received a Hatrack package yet.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
I hope you like them. I just finished the last of my own Christmas sweets a couple days ago. I guess that means the season is truly over.

I have not received a Hatrack package yet.

Miro that's my fault. I'm your not so secret Santa. Your gift has been sitting on my desk for the last couple weeks but I just haven't had a chance to get to UPS or USPS to send it. I'm going to try to get that done this week, though in all honesty it may be tricky as I was in a car accident last week and it's messed me up a bit.

But it's coming, I swear!

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, Lyrhawn. That just means Christmas isn't over yet.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
Is there anybody who hasn't yet received their gift yet?

I haven't yet.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

OK. Will look into things.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Orincoro: Latest intel suggests your gift is still on the way.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Orincoro: Has your gift arrived yet?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.