FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The He Did A Thing Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The He Did A Thing Thread
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
about, you know, him

quote:
Donald Trump has just named one of the most racist politicians in all of America to his transition team. Kris Kobach was the architect of the most racist law in modern American history. SB 1070 passed in Arizona in 2010. What did it mean? If you have brown skin or an accent, police had a right to stop you, detain you and demand you prove your citizenship.
ok
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it elsewhere, but several years ago, a friend of mine had a layover in Phoenix. He spent the entirety of that layover being detained and questioned because he was Puerto Rican (and therefore brown-skinned with an accent), on his way home from Mexico and because, maybe, just maybe he didn't actually really need his wheelchair and was just using it to smuggle shit into the US.

So yeah, screw that guy.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Quotes and sarcastic "ok" only or samp gets grumpy
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not actually a rule, risuena - please disregard it
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Donald Trump has selected one of the best-known climate skeptics to lead his U.S. EPA transition team, according to two sources close to the campaign.

Myron Ebell, director of the Center for Energy and Environment at the conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute, is spearheading Trump’s transition plans for EPA, the sources said.

In a biography submitted when he testified before Congress, he listed among his recognitions that he had been featured in a Greenpeace “Field Guide to Climate Criminals,” dubbed a “misleader” on global warming by Rolling Stone and was the subject of a motion to censure in the British House of Commons after Ebell criticized the United Kingdom’s chief scientific adviser for his views on global warming.

ok
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
http://ithelpstodream.tumblr.com/post/153014219862/remember-when-trump-thought-romney-had-won-the
ok
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Mr. Trump, a homebody who often flew several hours late at night during the campaign so he could wake up in his own bed in Trump Tower, is talking with his advisers about how many nights a week he will spend in the White House. He has told them he would like to do what he is used to, which is spending time in New York when he can.

The future first lady, Melania Trump, expects to move to Washington. But the couple’s 10-year-old son, Barron, is midway through a school year in New York, and it is unclear when the move would happen.

The questions reflect what Mr. Trump’s advisers described as the president-elect’s coming to grips with the fact that his life is about to change radically. They say that Mr. Trump, who was shocked when he won the election, might spend most of the week in Washington, much like members of Congress, and return to Trump Tower or his golf course in Bedminster, N.J., or his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach on weekends.

ok
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
So Trump is like me who moves out at 18 angry but still asks sheepishly if I can still do my laundry at home?

Apparently GOP walking back its promise on whether ending the war on coal would bring back jobs.

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Quotes and sarcastic "ok" only or samp gets grumpy

Fine, I can do that. It won't have the bit about my friend being disabled and in a wheelchair, but y'all can add that yourselves, right?

quote:

Me: Guess what? That Guy responsible for the Arizona ID law just got named to Trump's transition team!
Me: Now you can expect to be detained and questioned for being Latino and therefore not American in every airport in the country, not just Arizona. Ain't that great?
Him: Making it great, again

ok
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

it's the disabled hispanics which are the most dangerous. better check that wheelchair for mexican drugs
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
about, you know, him

quote:
Donald Trump has just named one of the most racist politicians in all of America to his transition team. Kris Kobach was the architect of the most racist law in modern American history. SB 1070 passed in Arizona in 2010. What did it mean? If you have brown skin or an accent, police had a right to stop you, detain you and demand you prove your citizenship.
ok
Oh, your kidding!
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
The thread title feels like pre-emptive buck passing to me. Trump has been elected by Americans as the head of state and the head of a government for the people and of the people.

Whatever horrors are in store for Americans and the rest of the world, it won't be "The He Did A Thing Thread", it's going to be a "The American People Did A Thing Thread."

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Except that you know it's not quite that simple, exactly.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

It is that simple in this case. As far as I know, there has been no evidence that voting machines have been hacked or that fraudulent votes have been cast. As the other thread has painfully made clear, voter fraud in the US is statistically insignificant.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
The thread title feels like pre-emptive buck passing to me. Trump has been elected by Americans as the head of state and the head of a government for the people and of the people.

Whatever horrors are in store for Americans and the rest of the world, it won't be "The He Did A Thing Thread", it's going to be a "The American People Did A Thing Thread."

ok
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is that simple in this case. As far as I know, there has been no evidence that voting machines have been hacked or that fraudulent votes have been cast. As the other thread has painfully made clear, voter fraud in the US is statistically insignificant.

Well if you set aside questions of foreign involvement in the campaign, and you just tell the people who didn't vote for Trump 'that doesn't matter'. I mean I understand it's important to you that America and Americans be blamed more often for things, but if one juror votes not guilty and the other eleven say guilty, it's a little more complex than telling the eleven 'you acquitted the defendant'. Though technically accurate which for your purposes might be all that matters.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Many of the estimates I've seen suggest that Clinton will end up with 2 million more votes than Trump by the time all the votes are counted.

America didn't vote Trump in. An arcane, bizarre quirk in our stupid electoral system artificially amplified the voice of the minority and ushered him into power. That's not the same thing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Rakeesh:
Foreign involvement in the campaign wasn't actually proven to affect the actual voting process in terms of machines or calculations. To the extent that it gave voters additional information, that wasn't even challenged to be false, I don't really see how that affects the legitimacy of the election.

Additionally, if Democrats wanted to challenge the legitimacy of the election process, they probably shouldn't have quite so enthusiastically criticized Trump when he said that the election was going to be rigged.

But on a bigger picture, a more historical picture, Hitler didn't accomplish the things he did alone. If I recall correctly, he didn't even win a majority of the votes (as opposed to a plurality), but that was the democratic system of government at the time required to gain power. He needed the co-operation of other people in the government, he needed the people to pay their taxes, he needed the service of many people to run the infrastructure, the camps, and the military. In the end, we don't generally say that "Hitler did a thing." We say that the German people did a thing or perhaps Nazi Germany did a thing and quite rightfully so. This is not to say that each and every German participated or to deny the courageous acts of those who did resist, but to recognize the deep flaws in a society that lead it to commit those acts.

Nowadays, every German needs to (and often do!) introspect and deeply educate themselves on the whole chain of events, This is a good thing! Much better than to blame everything on Hitler and move on. He didn't do a thing, we did a thing.

In the case that Trump follows through with his campaign musings, Americans won't be able to blame everything on him either.

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
America didn't vote Trump in. An arcane, bizarre quirk in our stupid electoral system artificially amplified the voice of the minority and ushered him into power. That's not the same thing.

You know, I've heard that kinda stuff before.

"This election is a total sham and a travesty. We are not a democracy!"

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy."

"He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election"

"We should have a revolution in this country!"

You can probably guess who said that. Americans rightfully saw him as a sore loser then, Americans will rightfully see Democrats as sore losers now if they push this to try to paint the US as not a representative democracy.

The fact is that every democracy with first-past-the-post somewhere in their system can setup results that don't match the popular vote. That doesn't mean that they aren't democracies.

Honestly, this stuff sounds like those that claim that the US isn't a democracy because its a republic.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
You can probably guess who said that. Americans rightfully saw him as a sore loser then
since he was wrongly complaining in a case where obama had actually won the popular vote, he is not the best way to make your case
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think people voting third party also potentially handed one or two states to Trump, which for sure falls under "quirk of the election system", as well as voter suppression in WI and NC.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

i actually doubt it had much to do with third party leeching. johnson and stein imploded on themselves.

voter suppression in those states seems more likely, but at this point i am forced to default to having no clue what happened and having to admit that. never would i ever have anticipated this outcome.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Donald Trump's running mate in this year's presidential election, published articles urging employers not to hire gay employees while he was head of the Indiana Policy Review in the 1990s.

One such article published during Pence's tenure reads: "Homosexuals are not as a group able-bodied. They are known to carry extremely high rates of disease brought on because of the nature of their sexual practices and the promiscuity which is a hallmark of their lifestyle."

Pence also argues in the piece that homosexuality is a "pathological condition."

Pence has also fallen under scrutiny for publishing work in 1993 criticizing gay military members.

Last year as governor of Indiana, he signed the "Religious Freedom Restoration Act," which allows companies to discriminate against LGBT employees and customers based on firmly held religious beliefs. And he's proposed cutting funding for HIV treatment and using the money for "gay cure" therapy.

ok
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
https://twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/797980960834863104
ok
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Florida state Attorney General Pam Bondi, who had endorsed Donald Trump presidential bid, said on Friday that she has joined the President-elect's transition team.

Bondi's connections to Trump stirred controversy during the campaign when it was revealed that a political group backing Bondi solicited a donation from Trump's charity as Bondi was considering a lawsuit against Trump University. After the group received the donation from the Trump Foundation, Bondi decided against taking up the lawsuit.

ok
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
One week after winning the presidency in a stunning upset, Donald Trump is already botching the transition, insiders say.

The daunting task of filling top Cabinet posts appears to be a chaotic scramble inside Trump Tower, with competing power centers jockeying for position and influence as a steady stream of names both realistic and not gets floated to a baffled media.

“It’s an absolute knife fight,” said one Trump insider. “But that just makes it Tuesday.”

Through it all, Trump has remained uncharacteristically quiet, secluded in his penthouse apartment and office space on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. His only public comments came in the form of a 60 Minutes interview on Sunday night and a few stray tweets each day.

There’s very little pushback from his ramshackle transition infrastructure to damaging stories about one of his first two appointees, Breitbart News chief Steve Bannon. Campaign loyalists and well-wishers ranging from Ted Cruz to Marla Maples to Tommy Hilfiger float in and out of Trump Tower like ghosts -- 30 seconds in the marbled orange lobby, then they’re gone.

Controversy, meanwhile, continues to swirl. Republicans and Democrats alike sounded the alarms about both of Trump’s finalists to serve as his Secretary of State.

Rudy Giuliani, rumored to be Trump’s top choice, is facing new scrutiny following a POLITCO report detailing his paid consulting work for foreign governments that would create a massive conflict of interest should he be confirmed as the country’s top diplomat.

ok

[ November 15, 2016, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Samprimary ]

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
quote:
You can probably guess who said that. Americans rightfully saw him as a sore loser then
since he was wrongly complaining in a case where obama had actually won the popular vote, he is not the best way to make your case
I'm actually not sure this was how it looked at the time.
quote:
First, let’s look at Trump’s position in 2012, when it appeared that Mitt Romney might win the popular vote but lose the electoral college.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/11/15/trumps-flip-flop-on-the-electoral-college-from-disaster-to-genius/

The bigger point is that you look like a hypocrite if you're loudest about changing the system when you lose. Both sides knew the rules, both sides campaigned for electoral votes.

Look on the bright side, if the electors in the college rebel and change their votes, still both sides knew the rules going in [Wink]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

i have been pretty adamantly anti-electoral college since at least a decade ago. i think given that it is not at all unusual or hypocritical to vocally note that the election of literally donald trump to the office of the presidency even though he got over a million less votes than clinton stands as a resounding modern additional testament to the shittiness of the electoral college.

it's basically 'see? WHAT DID I TELL YOU'

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
During an appearance on Fox News on Wednesday night, pro-Trump advocate Carl Higbie drew a shocked reaction from host Megyn Kelly during a discussion of the possibility that President-elect Donald Trump might support making Muslim immigrants to the U.S. “register.” In an apparent attempt to portray the idea as unsurprising, Higbie noted that there was precedent for the U.S. government registering residents according to factors like race, religion and region.

“We did it during during World War II with the Japanese, which, call it what you will—,”

ok
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...a resounding modern additional testament to the shittiness of the electoral college...
The electoral college is shitty only to the degree that rural America is shitty, IMO.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
... the election of literally donald trump to the office of the presidency even though he got over a million less votes than clinton stands as a resounding modern additional testament to the shittiness of the electoral college ...

That's kinda like drunk driving, crashing your car into a pole, and then blaming the design of the steering wheel. It may technically be true that a better steering wheel may have prevented you from hitting the pole, but you'd be bound to hit a ditch, school, or another car anyway.

The bigger question is why did Trump even get to within a couple percent of Clinton anyway? Why quibble about a percent here and a percent there? It should never have been that close in the first place and the fact that it was indicates much deeper problems.

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

I'd say the EC has a purpose but right now it fails at its purpose; it does not either represent the will of the people nor does it really give a voice to the smaller states. It puts a majority of the Electoral Votes with the fate of the major metrapolitan areas.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Blayne, it does the opposite; it gives smaller, rural areas disproportionately more voting power than they would otherwise have.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

Except no.

Specifically look at 1:40 notice that this map was also Hillary's +12 Victory map + Texas.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
President-elect Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he would nominate Betsy DeVos, a billionaire philanthropist with deep ties to the Christian Reformed community in Michigan, as his education secretary.
ok
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
President-elect Donald J. Trump inherited a complicated world when he won the election last month. And that was before a series of freewheeling phone calls with foreign leaders that has unnerved diplomats at home and abroad.

In the calls, he voiced admiration for one of the world’s most durable despots, the president of Kazakhstan, and said he hoped to visit a country, Pakistan, that President Obama has steered clear of during nearly eight years in office.

Mr. Trump told the British prime minister, Theresa May, “If you travel to the U.S., you should let me know,” an offhand invitation that came only after he spoke to nine other leaders. He later compounded it by saying on Twitter that Britain should name the anti-immigrant leader Nigel Farage its ambassador to Washington, a startling break with diplomatic protocol.

Mr. Trump’s unfiltered exchanges have drawn international attention since the election, most notably when he met Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan with only one other American in the room, his daughter Ivanka Trump — dispensing with the usual practice of using State Department-approved talking points.

On Thursday, the White House weighed in with an offer of professional help. The press secretary, Josh Earnest, urged the president-elect to make use of the State Department’s policy makers and diplomats in planning and conducting his encounters with foreign leaders.

ok
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought it was possible, but Mr. Trump manages to frustrate me on an almost daily basis.

If he actually manages to serve a full term, I will be astonished.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Also, nobody who said Mr. Obama would abolish term limits has let me know how wrong they were about him.

Any day now though right?

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious how long the honeymoon will last.

Right now, if someone wrote a Kim Jong-Il-esque biography about Trump, my aunt would believe every word of it. Invented the hamburger? Played golf just one time and hit 11 holes in one? Never used a toilet and had no need to defecate or urinate? Yeah... she'd lap every bit of it up.

Curious if cracks ever begin to form in her unyielding faith that he is somehow the second coming of the founding fathers, Abe Lincoln, and Ronald Reagan all rolled into one.

Also curious how many of the faithful will realize how much their own position in the country has been undermined before the next election, or if they'll be like Wile E. Coyote after he runs off the cliff and not realize until later.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Just goes to show how desperate people are that they're willing to make HIM their hero, and not only their hero but their savior.

And I'll say for my part, I will be shocked if he doesn't serve a full term. At least one.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think desperation is a smaller part of it than gullibility is. He's an awfully talented con artist.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
DONALD Trump has caused bemusement with the revelation he will take the weekend off after his inauguration on Friday.

The President-elect says he plans to do absolutely nothing for his first two days in office and that his “day one is gonna be Monday”.

Mr Trump explained this was because he doesn’t want his signing of orders to clash with the celebrations.

He told the Times of London: “One of the first orders I’m gonna sign — day one — which I will consider to be Monday as opposed to Friday or Saturday. Right? I mean my day one is gonna be Monday because I don’t want to be signing and get it mixed up with lots of celebration, but one of the first orders we’re gonna be signing is gonna be strong borders.”

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
I never thought it was possible, but Mr. Trump manages to frustrate me on an almost daily basis.

If he actually manages to serve a full term, I will be astonished.

Don't worry! The CIA's got this. [Big Grin]
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/821344302651555840

quote:
The same people who did the phony election polls, and were so wrong, are now doing approval rating polls. They are rigged just like before.
I guess he truly has no intention of being accountable to the public. The best/only way he has of knowing what they think about his actions and policies is "rigged".
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
Also, nobody who said Mr. Obama would abolish term limits has let me know how wrong they were about him.

Any day now though right?

The thing is, I bet that if you pointed out how all their dire predictions about abolishing the constitution and establishing a communist sharia law police state turned out wrong, they'd just say that it's only because of the brave folks in Congress who managed to stand up to him.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

Obama commuted Chelsea's sentence, probably good.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
There appear to be a lot of people who are outraged about it, saying it kills the deterrent effect for potential offenders.

I'm not sure how to take it. The 7 years served seems like a significant deterrent to me. Then again, if I was weighing 7 years against 35 years, 35 is a scarier number.

I wonder if Obama was hoping Assange would fulfill his promise to accept extradition. If so, I think he's going to be disappointed.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

The United States is not interested in Assange, he is wanted by Sweden for questioning.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I want Assange for questioning
Samprimary
Member # 8561

"Mr. Assange, how can you be such a ridiculous goonbag that you even united the general Reddit community against you. How do you do that? Do you not shower as practice? Is it method acting?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5n58sm/i_am_julian_assange_founder_of_wikileaks_ask_me/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.