FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me choose a family library (books and movies)

Author Topic: Help me choose a family library (books and movies)
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
We're remodeling our house, and will have more room than we've had in the past for books and movies. Previously our approach to what entertainment we've put in our library has been pretty haphazard; whatever books or movies we happen to have bought most recently are what end up on the shelves; other stuff gets pushed aside or boxed up. As a result, the 'library' looks pretty scattershot and the shelf space is pretty inefficiently used, with a bunch of books/movies that we never read or watch taking up prime real estate, and things we might want to read or watch (or that we would like our kids to read or watch) more likely than not stuck in the back or in a box.

If you were to choose 20 books and/or movies to stock as the 'go to' library for my family, what would you choose? My criteria, which you should consider apply to a mix of people in different age groups, are roughly:
- Good quality
- Entertaining
- Re-readable/watchable
- Appropriate (but not necessarily intended) for children
- Breadth of topical/genre coverage
- Overall mix of mainstream/popular and eclectic/less well-known

Here are some exemplar selections to get the recommendation juices flowing:

Movies:
- Singin' in the Rain
- Chariots of Fire
- Bringing up Baby
- Life is Beautiful
- Dead Poet's Society
- My Neighbor Totoro

Books:
- The Hobbit
- The Giver
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Lord of the Flies
- Tuck Everlasting
- The Call of the Wild

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n8
Member # 13615

- posted      Profile for n8           Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like we have similar taste in media- most of my favorites are pretty well known, but here are some:

Fiddler on the Roof
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Truman Show
Casa Blanca
Gattaca

And books:
Dune (Herbert)
Tunnel in the Sky (Heinlein)
The Mistborn Trilogy (Sanderson)
I, Robot (Asimov)
The Count of Monte Christo (Dumas)

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks n8. Those all seem like great suggestions, although I haven't read Tunnel in the Sky. The movies particularly are both rewatchable, family-friendly, and have a nice coverage of classics and somewhat more modern fare.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
For movies:

- Planes, Trains and Automobiles*
- Iron Giant
- Groundhog Day
- Philadelphia
- October Sky
- Field of Dreams
- About a Boy
- Inside Out

* There's a scene where the "F" word was used quite liberally. But it has a great message and I would not hesitate to allow kids to watch it.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.