FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » A Corner of our Hearts-1K Landmark (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Corner of our Hearts-1K Landmark
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I am ashamed to admit it, but we were not thrilled when I found out I was expecting our fourth child. We had established a rythym, an outlook on our future that didn't include a fourth. Some days I cried in fear. But ee knew that as the months went by we would adjust, and we did.

No one seemed more excited than our three older children. They talked to their little sibling and sang to him, often pulling up my shirt in public to do so. As he grew bigger and started felling his movements ( I use he in retrospect, we didn't find otu his gender until birth)I grew more and more excited at all the things we would do with our baby. I bought clothes, diapers, a sling, and dreamed of nursing this new baby, and taking long walks with him. Our last, the fulfillment of our family and our love.

ON a Monday in late February, when I was 8 months pregnant, I went to see my midwife, Toni. The heartbeat was strong, the baby active. We joked about the rowdy babies I made and Toni told me how lucky I was to be having my fourth healthy child.

It was Saturday afternnon when I first became concerned that I had not felt the baby move in some time. By 9 o clock, after I had had a big glass of juice and a bath, I was sure something was wrong. I woke my husband and we discussed it; he reminded me that I had panicked in all my earlier pregnancies, goine to the midwife, and everything had been fine. He was right; I went to sleep.
But by the next morning, I still had felt nothing. I called Toni and she told us to come right over.Brian tried to get me to eat lunch, but I couldn't. He shook his head and said "I'm sure you've got yourself all worked up. You'll be hungry after we see Toni".
We went to the her house, saying little on the long drive. Her first question to me was, "Do you feel pregnat?". I just shook my head at her and said nothing. We got the kids playing in her den and went to the exam room. She turned on the ultrasound- no heartbeat. Doppler- none. She didn't have to say anything.She simply started crying.

Then the Toni went to make some phone calls. Brian called the kids in. He was direct. "We have bad news. Toni can't find a heartbeat. It looks like our baby has died." Matthew responded with the question that would come to haunt us..."WHY?". We got ready to go. I called a friend in my church who could call the pastors and prayer chain ( actually, she called about half the congregation, too). Brian called our neighbor Cheryl to come be with the kids.

When we got home, Cheryl and her son were waiting. I got out and she put her arms around me. I sobbed "The baby died", and she held me there, in front of our house while I cried. We dropped the kids off, picked up our digital camera, and headed for the hospital. How to describe the experience? Aside from getting admitted there was paperwork, questions to be answered. Did we want a lock of hair, pictures, a hat and gown? So many things to decide at once. One of the pastors came to call, and prayed with us. Then I was taken for a brief ultrasound. The tech and a doctor confirmed that there was no heartbeat. The small shred of hope I had been clinging to died. The doctor on call asked if I wanted to induce now or wait until the next day. I decided it would be best to have this part over with, and Pitocin was started. I had decided that while I had had three natural births, there was no reason to do that this time. After all, why do we avoid drugs in labor? Our newest pastor, came to visit. It turns out this was her first pastoral care call. She has been so very wonderful. She stayed over an hour, listening to us, praying with us and reading the Scriptures. After she left I dozed on and off through the labor. At about 2-3 cm, the doctor broke my water. He said the meconium was clear, which indicated that whatever has caused our baby's death, it happened so fast that if I had headed to the ER when it happened, they could not have saved him. This gave me some comfort. He had not suffered for a moment. At some point Toniarrived. At some point I asked first for Stadol, and when that was not enough, I was given morphine. Although it was the shortest of my labors by about half, it was the most painful. I cannot describe to some one who has not done it, the difference between birthing a living baby and one who was not. Just about the point I decided I would have an epidural, the doctor told me I was at a 9. My midwife got me up on my knees, and within minutes I was able to push.
Brian Benjamin Wiebe was born at 5:19 AM, on Monday, February 28, 2005.

One of the memories I will able to cherish is his small warm body as I pushed it out. He was placed on my belly, wrapped in a warmed towel, and I held him and cried. Pictures were taken. Brian had called Pastor about the time I started pushing and she arrived soon after his birth. She performed a brief naming ceremony and it meant so so much to have her lay hands on him and pray with us at that time. Toni had to go ( she had not slept) and she signed a cross on his head before leaving.She looked at him and said, with tears in her eyes, "All he knew was love". We had time alone with him, About an hour and a half after his birth it was time to go to the nursery.

After the nurse helped me get cleaned up, it was time to go to the nursery. I refused a wheelchair and we walked, my husband holding one hand and Pastor holding the other. He was weighed- 4 lb, 13 oz, and measured- 19 inches. So big for 33 weeks! Foot prints and handprints were made on a keepsake birth certificate (In all but 4 states, birth certificates are not issued for stillbirths, but rather a "Certificate of Fetal Demise" There are grassroots efforts to issue "Certificate of Stillbirth" in many states, including my own). A little gown and blanket were chosen from the hospital's stores. When I became so tired I needed to get back to my room, I was given my baby to hold. His hands...so like Andrew's, with the long fingers- his long feet too. Matthew's chin and Olivia'snose. I couldn't stop kissing his hands and nose. I cried again over him. After I handed him back to the nurse, Pastor walked me back to my room while my husband stayed with baby Brian a bit longer. I slept, and Brian went home to shower and spend a few hours with our kids. He offered them the chance to come see their brother, and they chose not to.
After I woke up, the nurse tried to get me to eat. After I refused to pick anything from the menu, she ordered a sandwich and fries and ordered me to eat. Brian came back. We had to fill out the fetal death certificate and contact the funeral home. When it came time for Brian to call the funeral home to confirm that they should pick him up ( the hospital pre-arranges, but we have to call too), the nurse told him to "tell them you had a fetal demise". He stared at her, picked up the phone and called to confirm the pick up of "my infant son".
I didn't want to, I really didn't want to. Just listening to my husband make arrangements for them to come pick up our baby's body was too hard.

Then, it was almost time to go. The nurse brought us little Brian for the last time. I held him and she took pictures of us with him. Brian did not feel able to hold him again. Just before I gave him back to the nurse, I kissed his little forehead goodbye. It was cold, so cold. She had not even wheeled the little crib out of the room before we were sobbing in each other's arms. I got dressed and she brought us the memory box the nursery had prepared. The little gown and blanket were there, a card with a lock of his hair and a locket for it...and a tiny stuffed tiger. We cried again- his big brothers both adore tigers, and the oldest has a huge stuffed one. Having said our goodbyes, we left our baby and returned to the rest of our family.
Three days later, the new pastor left for 10 days in Haiti. We waited until she got back for the memorial, as she had met our son and laid hands on him. She performed a beautiful service,and I was quite touched that at one point she had to stop to compose herself. ost memorials have a "life history". Baby Brian's had a reflection by our midwife on the pregnancy and our family.

It has been a little over a month, and life is surreal. I should still be pregnant. I still feel him kicking. I read that this is normal. We should have had a life time with this child; instead we have some pictures, a lock of hair and a very small urn in our bedroom. WE had considered taking his ashes to California to be buried with his paternal Grandma, but all of us decided we wanted him with us. We have moments of normality. More of them, but still many moments of tears. Matthew summed it up well. "We'll never stop being sad about our baby. He'll always live in a corner of our hearts."

For those who would like to see him, here is Brian Benjamin right after birth:

http://pictures.hypergeek.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=gojirama&id=DSCN0129

[ April 07, 2005, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: dread pirate romany ]

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. ((romany))
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh goodness.

((dpr))

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
In my thoughts and prayers, as always.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor little guy! [Cry]

Romany, I will pray for you and your family. I hope sharing about your son brought you a little peace.
((romany and family))

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry....
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Romany)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs romany tightly*

I'm so sorry. [Frown] I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, just let you know that I think about you and Brian Benjamin a lot, and that I'm so incredibly sorry.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
((((dpr)))

I am so sorry, dpr. Thank-you for this landmark and your strength in sharing it.

What a perfect little cupid's bow mouth Brian Benjamin had.

(((dpr)))

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry...
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Your courage is amazing, romany. I weep for your family's loss.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it helped you to share this with us. You, your family and Brian Benjamin stay in my thoughts and prayers.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
((romany))
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sweetie. Thank you for sharing your grief with us.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
dpr, I have only the vaguest idea of what you're going through. I admire your strength. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You are an amazing woman, and it sounds like you have an amazing family. Thank you for sharing... I hope it helped. **hugs**
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
(((dpr)))
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
(((dpr))) words cannot express....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
(((dpr))) Thank you for sharing your story.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am truly sorry for your pain. Your story moved me to tears. (((dpr)))
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

((dpr))

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] (((dpr))) I'm sorry. So sorry. I actually cried when I read that.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
(((DPR))) I am so sorry. I hope it helps to share with us. You and your family have been in my thoughts.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
((dpr))
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]

It's helped a lot to write this all down and share him with you.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs romany*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not generally very emotional, but in light of recent events in my life (the birth of my daughter), this had me teary-eyed. I'm terribly sorry for your loss, romany.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
((dpr))

[Cry]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
dpr, I'm so very touched that you shared this with all of us. I still hold you and your family in my thoughts, and I hope that each day is a bit easier than the one before.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for sharing that. I had to wipe away tears. You have so much courage and I'm glad to know you. (((romany family)))
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*deep breath*

That was beautiful and terrible, dpr. Your story moved me to tears. I'm glad it's going to be preserved in the landmark archives. We'll *all* remember Brian with you.

((Weibe family))

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
That is absolutely heart-wrenching. Thank you for taking the time and energy to write it out for us - I can't even begin to imagine how hard it was. Your courage and faith in the face of this loss is amazing. Your family and your newest guardian angel have my prayers.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
dpr - Thank you for your story. Your son is beautiful. Be strong, we're here for you.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Love sustains. My daughter and I have decided that we live in each other's hearts. Your sweet one lives in many hearts now. Thank you for bringing him to Hatrack.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
fiazko, Shigosei, imogen, Narnia, Gryhphonesse...I don't feel strong or courageous. People keep telling me I am, but I feel so weak, especially on those days when I need other people to function for me, to cook for me or take care of the kids for me. I am so grateful I have my three older kids forcing me to live instead of hiding our in my bed.

jeniwren, Boon, PC, Steve, punwit, thank you for sharing your tears.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Jenny, Ryuko, SO, kat, Teshi, Arthur, Noemon, Stray, Farmgirl, Jim-Me, ElJay, twinky, Liz, Avid, Anna, Swede, Raia, Derrel, Syn, Morbo, afr, Miro....Thanks for the thoughts and hugs.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*cries*

"All he knew was love." That is so true, but it just makes me cry and cry to read about this. I don't know what it's like, really, but as a mother, I imagine it, and I just can't stop the tears.

(((hugs)))

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say anything that wasn't said already.

I feel like one of those who feel sorry. Yes, one more in a line of many - but remember that every sad face is a world of sympathy.

These things happen, and one can't possibly think of the pain caused. I will never know what it's like to bear a baby, and I can't bear the thought of the agony.

[Cry] I am physically crying, dpr; "may his soul be forever serene" - from one of my poems.

God gives, and God takes; I'm sure that a corner in God's heart was dedicated for Brian Benjamin's soul, and that he is pleasant in Heaven. In these times of sorrow, one can only think that it's for the best.

But then, how could one possibly say that? How can I offer condolence of this type when your own baby died? The answer is that I can't, I can only give you a hug and cry on your shoulder, as you would do on mine. You have a hug that will never leave you: and at night, if you try to sense it hard, you will feel my arms around you, embracing you metaphorically. And maybe, maybe, if you're really sad - you will feel them physically.

If this post is incoherent, it's because of my weep. I may only have a single tear dripping out, but my heart is drenched in surging tears inside.

JH

[ April 07, 2005, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a hard time just reading about this from when you first told us, so I'm sure writing about it has been virtually crippling, but you have done it. That is strength if I ever saw it.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
There's just nothing that I can say. Thank you so much for letting us know Brian Benjamin, for sharing him with us. Thank you.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

((((kq)))) ((((Jonathon)))) *cries with you*

fiazko...it's been hard, but it's helped too. I need to process it. Maybe I can comfort another parent with my story. And someday, I am told by friends who lost a sibling very young, my older kids will have that oppotunity to read this story and understand.

Vana...you're welcome...thanks for giving me a chance to share.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't possibly imagine what writing that was like. I can't imagine what living your life must be like. My heart breaks for you and your family. I hope that your heart will one day be whole, even if it does bear scars. Thank you for allowing us to to cry with you and letting us give you and Brian Banjamin a little corner in our hearts.

[ April 09, 2005, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pajeba
Member # 5656

- posted      Profile for pajeba           Edit/Delete Post 
(((dpr))) [Frown]
Posts: 233 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry [Frown]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
(((dpr)))

I couldn't finish reading this because crying this much at work isn't good. Do know that you have our love (Momma, Papa and Baby Sopwith).

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
(((dpr))) [Group Hug] I think Brian will be remembered in the hearts of many. I'm glad you felt you could share this with us here at Hatrack.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
(((dpr)))

Hugs, prayers, and healing thoughts to you.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Aww, ludosti...it makes me all teary eyed to thin of my boy living on in so many people's hearts.

pajeba...Allegra.. [Group Hug]

Sopwith....thank you for crying with us.

And Shan...I'd love to get together for coffee someday soon if you don't mind hearing the story again in person.

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.