FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Dear Hatrack, I’m Not Moving Anywhere: A Landmark (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dear Hatrack, I’m Not Moving Anywhere: A Landmark
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A month ago, when I noticed that I was nearing 20,000, I thought that I might have something different to landmark about. I wasn’t exactly dating – can it be dating when you have not yet met? – but I was spending hours and hours each week on the phone with someone I was seriously considering marrying. It was promising enough that I was daydreaming and planning possible timelines.

Since then, we moved from not-exactly-dating to actual-in-person-dating to not-dating-anymore. But it’s not really about the guy I’m not dating, or even about the fact that I won’t be marrying him. Or anyone else, right now.

It’s about the fact that I’ve discovered I’m really ok with that. [Smile]

Way back on my 6000 landmark, it was noted that I “needed a man” – a sentiment I agreed with.

I don’t agree with it anymore. While I would still very much like to find and marry someone I could have a healthy, stable marriage with, I have realized that being single is not so very terrible as all that. Because I could have married that guy. For him, being single IS so terrible that even a pretty ok marriage would be better than that. (At least, that seemed to be how he felt.) Even though I was not really what he had in mind (in some pretty significant ways), he so wants to be married, that he was willing to overlook many things (and try to change others, which is a whole other problem).

And I realized that I didn’t want someone who settled for me. Who figured I was as good as he was going to get, and I was ok. And I certainly didn’t want someone about whom I felt much the same.

I’m not as desperate to get married as I thought I was. I have a good job, wonderful kids whom I love and who love me, awesome parents, and supportive friends. I even have a job I like!

I have a good life. And that’s a pretty cool thing to figure out. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on 20,000! And I'm glad that your life is good and you know it.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I'm really glad for you, Rivka.

From what I know of you from our online interaction, you are far too a fantastic person to ever settle for someone who doesn't recognise that.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're happy.

And imogen's right. You're awesome. I'd marry you. If I wasn't Mormon. And a woman. And already married. And too bossy to get along with you if I lived with you anyway. [Wink]

(Wow, I'm getting deja vu. Did I say that already at some point in the past?)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos on the 20,000 and happiness found. [Smile]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool and congrats. Here's to not settling!

oh and, from your linked 2004 birthday post (by Dagonee):

quote:
rivka, you realize at the rate you and Bob have historically posted, you'll catch up with him on July 13, 2009 with 35,654 posts?
Apparently he's allowed trivial stuff like marriage and fatherhood to slow him down -- with his current 21966 posts, looks like he's in danger of being caught up with way before 2009!

(OK, so I'm supposed to be out walking but my partner postponed by 30 minutes--what am I supposed to do with that time, read the paper or something?)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on not settling. [Smile]

And, um, is it my imagination, or is your thread title a direct take-off from a long-ago thread title by me? [Wink]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 20k, and happy change of perspective.

[edited because I woke up and realized I used the wrong word]

[ November 01, 2006, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: El JT de Spang ]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 20,000th, Rivka! You're a rich and interesting person and you deserve the genuine article, not a generic role-filler.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, rivka! Smile at yourself in the mirror for me next time you go by.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on the 20,000 posts and neato realization [Smile] .
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on 20K, and I'm really glad you're so happy with yourself [Smile]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka! huzzah! huzzah! huzzah!

I'm thrilled for you!

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] That's such a great realization to have come to. Congratulations, rivka!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy that you're happy. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, rivka. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, rivka. Congratulations.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, rivka! Congratulations!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I've thought you were awesome since way before I ever knew you.

Your awesomeness quotient has gained even more points with this landmark, though.

Mazel Tov on your 20K!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] (((Rivka))) [Hat]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, same as Icarus rivka : [Hat] [Smile]
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 20K sweetie! Hatrack wouldn't be the same without you.
I am glad you're happy! [Big Grin]

And yes Anne, you did say that before. You said you'd hypothetically marry Rivka based on ONE post. Can one be easy and bossy at the same time? [Dont Know]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post, congrats!
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Canoli that's a lot of posts!!!

Nice work.

And what a great actualization to come to... not many people accept that their life is good as is and lose out on that 'I'm me and I'm good enough as I am' feeling while searching for the ever elusive 'more'. How cool that you realized...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Here! Here! *raises glass to toast rivka and single-hood*

[Hat]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats. On the landmark and on the decision. It's a good place to be.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And I realized that I didn’t want someone who settled for me. Who figured I was as good as he was going to get, and I was ok. And I certainly didn’t want someone about whom I felt much the same.

*toasts to that*
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratz on your 20K.

You do realize the last time someone posted an "I'm OK single, and like it that way" post was DKW, about a year before she and Bob got married.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, rivka! I am definitely proud of your decision and resolution. I do hope you find someone without either of you settling and I'm very glad that you are content where you are for now. It's great being able to know you [Smile]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congratulations on 20,000 and realizing that you're too special to settle.

*raises glass* Here's to another 20,000.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."

Congrats nonetheless.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Uprooted, Bob may have slowed his posting rate, but so have I. Anyway, I doubt I'll ever catch up with Tom. And Dagonee has left me in the dust. I figure I might catch Katie, but that's mostly because she had that Lady Jane alt for a while. So it doesn't really count.

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
And, um, is it my imagination, or is your thread title a direct take-off from a long-ago thread title by me? [Wink]

Actually, I stole the idea from Kama. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
You do realize the last time someone posted an "I'm OK single, and like it that way" post was DKW, about a year before she and Bob got married.

The thought had occurred to me. However, I'm fairly certain that I will not be finding a spouse on Hatrack.

Despite Anne's lovely offer. [Wink]

To all the rest of you, thanks for being some of those supportive friends I mentioned. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
And Kama admitted she stole it from Quid.....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always marry Adam [Wink]

This really is a lovely landmark. I think i"m odd that I've never really though in the terms of "I need a boyfriend to keep me happy"

you do realize that wasn't the first thread Kama claimed she was getting married in right?

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the trends I start... [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil Laugh]

Everybody was going with the hat guy. So I thought I would change things up a bit. Congrats!

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats rivka, on the happiness and the posts. [Smile]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I have a good life. And that’s a pretty cool thing to figure out. [Smile]

That certainly is. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quid, yup. All your fault. [Big Grin]

Well, really it's Noemon's. Wasn't it he who suggested the thread title?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hmm. Let me check...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Originally posted by
Noemon I've never been to Hong Kong, so I don't have any advice, but where are you going in SE Asia? How long will you be there? What'll you be doing there? I would *love* to be going to SE Asia. Well, certain parts of it, anyway.

Yeah, I suppose he did. [Smile]

ETA: Nope, it wasn't...

quote:
Originally posted by Lissande:
This has to be the most backhanded "Dear Hatrack I'm getting married and moving to Sri Lanka" thread I've ever seen. [No No]

Oh yeah, and [Wave] congratulations!

from further down the page.
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
...finally some recognition...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Kiss]
rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry, Lissa! [Embarrassed]

Don't think I've ever confused YOU with Noem before! *laugh*

Lissande
Member # 350

Can't imagine why not - we're both witty and entirely too charming for our own good, ne?
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Definitely! And you both have an "e" in your name!
Lissande
Member # 350

AND an n. Just saying.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My heartiest congratulations Rivka [Big Grin]

Epiphanies are a welcome addition to anybody's life.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.