Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Uncle Orson On the Fly » Gravity

Author Topic: Gravity
jtgame
Member # 8337

- posted      Profile for jtgame   Email jtgame         Edit/Delete Post 
Uncle Orson expressed disinterest in the movie "Gravity" for a couple of reasons, one being getting headaches from 3D glasses. Is it the case that in some areas, only the 3D version is shown? Here in the CA Bay Area, there's a non-3D version too. I'd recommend giving either a try. Despite some the unbelievable coincidences, physics, space technology, and piloting feats (spoiler alert: flying a Chinese module where the button labels are in Chinese characters) it was one of the most edge-of-my-seat thrilling movies in a long time.

-John

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
My reasons for not wanting to see it are twofold - it sounds like Apollo 13 combined with Cast Away, the former needs to repeat, the latter as well, but for completely different reasons; and a general dislike of the director's work.
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much enjoyed Gravity. But I would say the film was absolutely wonderful, maybe even essential in 3D. But I won't know until I see it again in 2D.

Either way, it was a pleasure to watch.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
What did you like about the film other than the visuals?
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I know you said beside the visuals, but I can't emphasize this enough. In space you have true equal three dimensional movement. I mean sure you have that anywhere, but on Earth we are fixed to the ground, so there's a plane we just aren't going to cross. That takes away 50% of possible movement by itself. Add to that that we are pulled to the planet, and that's another chunk of movement we can't do. I mean we can depict people flying, and hovering, but typically we are anchored.

In Gravity, when disaster strikes, millions of things fly in every which direction. The characters as well. It's a breath taking spectacle.

Beyond this point you are getting SPOILERS!!!! I posted this on the other side of the forums.

I really liked the two birth scenes, especially since in zero gravity your body does move into a position more close to the fetal position.

I really thought they were going to let her die on reentry. It would have been a very bold move. But I also really liked the scene after she swam to shore. It was seriously perfect. Birth, swimming up for that breath of air, crawling, then standing. The screenwriting Gods were very pleased with that scene.

It was such a wonderful *cinematic* movie. With themes, symbolism, meaningful dialogue, meaningful monologues, a moving story, edge of your seat tension, all put together.

I wouldn't put it up there with the master examples of cinema, but it was a breath of fresh air in the medium. I'm actually sad people won't see it in 3D because they can't or won't. It's an experience worth having.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

Hmmm. People keep recommending the film, but I'm resisting because I really dislike the director and his previous work. The film itself sounded like a (admittedly well made) cross between Apollo 13 and Cast Away, and although I like Apollo 13 quite a bit, I don't really have a huge desire to see a mostly one-hander narrative imitating that structure. I tend to like relationships that aren't mostly told in flashback, as well. [Smile]

I like the way you analyze it, though. Thanks!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

It's not very similar to Cast Away, I'd say maybe Apollo 13 in that it's a crisis in space. But unlike Cast Away the tension doesn't really let up, ever until the very end. I don't know much about the director's previous work (quite unusual that), I went because people I trust loved it.

I wasn't disappointed.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.