Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New: Introduce Yourself! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New: Introduce Yourself!
Draggo
Member # 241

- posted      Profile for Draggo   Email Draggo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the advice, I will do that.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNinthMuse
Member # 1306

- posted      Profile for TheNinthMuse           Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Trevor, and I love to write. I will write anything, mostly sci-fi/fantasy. I like to read a lot as well, so I usually am spending most of my time either typing or sitting on the couch with a book in my hands.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
uglytrain
Member # 1311

- posted      Profile for uglytrain   Email uglytrain         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy. My name is Brandon Boucher and I am 21. I am a writing senior at the great West Virginia University (sarcasm). I am a direct descendant from Peal Harbor survivors (catholic) and Holocaust survivors(jewish) Half catholic, half jewish=cashew. HA. That was pathetic I know. My father is a Buddahist Monk just to make sure that no one will ever make a good profile of me. I am originally from Southern California and have many knife scars to remember my time in the desert well.

I write about my life, fictionalizing it enough so that it is indeed fiction, but my personality colors every protagonist. My professors/editors have labeled my as a deranged fatalist, characters in my stories seem to come away damaged or dead. I don't intentionally do that it kind of happens. I sort of shut down when I write and when I come to I am about a mile away from where I started. Sort of like this post.

I just joined all of an hour ago and I've never been to this page before then so I am very green, don't know my way around so much.

Influences are: Hunter S. Thompson, Joseph Lethem, David Eddings(his contempary stuff), Joseph Heller and Kurt Vonnegut, and all of the Russian Authors Whose Names I Can't Spell.

My favorite novel is Edding's The Losers, and Heller's Portrait of an Artist As a Old Man.

I like long walks on the beach and candlelight dinners. Whoops that was supposed to go on another forum.

I'll leave at that.

Take care and Happy Holidays

laterdayswilliemays
brandon

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for Roger   Email Roger         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I'm a nineteen-year-old canadian, and not entirely new to Hatrack River. I used to frequent the Young Writers' workshop under the username Napoleon.

I also help administrate a young writers' forum named Sleepless Whispers. http://www.sleepless.issexy.com for any who are interested.

Hopefully I'll be spending a fairly regular amount time here in the future (on the educated assumption that my schedule should be opening up after the holidays). You see, it's my new year's resolution to spend a deal more time on practicing my writing. And since my budget won't allow a creative writing class, this (obviously!) is the next best thing.

Hope to be getting to know you all soon,

-ERJF-

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizebeth
Member # 1317

- posted      Profile for Elizebeth   Email Elizebeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Im a 24 yr old South African. Love reading, writing and dancing.

I've been writing since I was 8. Even though my essays at school never received great marks, my poetry did. I think its because my essays were always too long. (One that was supposed to be 700 words turned into a monster of over 4000. And I had no idea on how to shorten it and still convey the whole story. I gave it in as is. My teacher was not impressed. (Not with the rest of the class essays to read as well)

My favorite authors are:
Robert A Heinlein, David Eddings, Raymond E Feist, Maggie Furey, Anne Mccaffrey, Anne Rice, Janny Wurts, Lois Duncan, J K Rowling (love Harry Potter) and last but definitely not least Orson Scott Card.

joela
Member # 1330

- posted      Profile for joela           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear.

My name is Joel. I'm a 30+ year old aspiring writer. Hmmm. What else?

I currently work as a project manager for a large wireless company. I also have a side busines selling rare used books.

Oh, I'm not good at this!

Uh...oh! My spouse first introduced me to OSC's Ender's Game. Though I haven't read the rest of the series (I think it's on Shadow of the Hegemon at the moment), I've read Mr. Card's short story collection (which name escapes me at the moment) and have tried vainly to assault his mammoth Harmony series with varying degrees of success.

In regards to my own writing effort, I tried writing full-time for 2 years before giving up. After many differing jobs, writing classes, and general anguish, I finally made a resolution to start a new novel on December 1st, 2001, and mail out the final draft next year. So far I'm in the middle of chapter 2 and am progressing in fits and starts. But I am writing; my goal is eventually to be a full-time novelist. And make mucho bucks. And be famous. And my acne to finally clear.

Whew! I've never been good at these intro thingies.

Chuckles
Member # 1331

- posted      Profile for Chuckles   Email Chuckles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.

My name is Justin Burnett. I have loved writing in various forms for at least 15 of my 23 years. I have written three plays which have been produced, co-written a number of others, written and performed poetry, written short stories, essays and reviews. I love the written word. I have also written many songs, both by myself and with my bandmate Byron, in our band "Ticklish Brother" (and I produced our CD).

I discovered Orson Scott Card through the chance acquisition of the book of short stories "Unaccompanied Sonata and other stories", and proceded from there. I have a long and deep affection for science fiction (primarily of the speculative rather than harcore, capital "S" sci-fi).

The last few years I've done pretty much every type of writing except short stories and novel-length fiction. I want to tackle them again, since I miss them. I've never had much faith in my poems, and writing for theatre is rather different again...

Part of my problem is that I'm a fairly strong pessimist/realist, and realize that I don't need another highly engrossing creative outlet whose only payoff will be personal. The work it has taken to make the music even vaguely lucrative has been huge (though it is paying of), and I know that the struggle to get published (other than the few poems I've managed) would be so heartbreaking and (probably) ultimately unsuccessful that it's kept me from writing "impractical" things like short stories and longer work lately.

So. Hi everyone! Enough about me. I'm a really shy person in real life, so if my comments here ever sound arrogant or whatever, please forgive me. It will not have been intended that way. I look forward to discussing with people drawn together by an author whose work I admire so greatly.

Take care
-Justin-

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
sidewayzzzzz
Member # 1332

- posted      Profile for sidewayzzzzz   Email sidewayzzzzz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Children of All Ages, Sidewayzzzzz Inc. along with the Sidewayzzzzz School For Clowns And The Emotionally Underdeveloped, are pleased to present the one, the only, sidewayzzzzz.

<Peeks head around curtain> Hi.

Gulp.

<whispered> "Go on."

<gets pushed from behind the curtain>

Hello. I am sidewayzzzzz. I am twenty.

<runs toward the curtain, but hands come out and push him away>

<turns to face the crowd, smiles sheepishly>

I am living in Madison, Wisconsin. <gains momentum> I am male. I am also an X-ray tech at a local hospital. I'm currently in the army reserves. I have been reading ever since I learned how, and writing shortly thereafter. Some authors who have changed my life are: OSC, Robert A. Heinlein, Pier Xanthony, R. A. Salvatore, J.R.R. Tolkein, Douglas Adams, Robert Jordan, Franklin W. Dixon and C. S. Lewis. Also a shout out goes to Chuck Pahlanuik (sp?) for the book Fight Club, to William Goldman for the book The Princess Bride, and to Thomas Harris for the books Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal.

I love movies, especially ones that leave you breathless, either by surprise (Fight Club, The Doom Generation) or by laughter (Any Mel Brooks, Monty Python).

KWSNI, you have my respect.

I have a couple of poems online at poetry.com which you could find by doing a search on my name: Paul Grover

I also am an extremely lazy person and in fact have the procrastinator's creed hanging on my wall. I would love to write constantly, but for now at least am still soaking up as much as I can from great authors. (I just finished Salvatore's Cleric Quintet, and plan on re-reading Heinlein's The Cat Who Walks Through Walls)

At any rate, I would appreciate any sort of reply to anything I've said, even via email, so until we meet again,

Love, Peace and Chicken Grease,
Sidewayzzzzz

<walks back behind curtain muttering "And that, my leige, is how we know the world to be banana shaped.">

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lance Dixon
Member # 1325

- posted      Profile for Lance Dixon   Email Lance Dixon         Edit/Delete Post 

this is just a test

Heimdall
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

My first name is Haydn but usually ends up being something completely different after I have told people that I am a British Police Constable. At 13 I read the Hobbit and at 14 I read the Lord of the Rings. I am now 33 and have tried just about everything in the genre and just not found that same sense of the historic anywhere else. I speak a couple of East European languages, love Old English and Old Norse and sound pretty boring up to now! Well, it wont get any better the more I bang on about my life story so I'll get to the point. I write Fantasy Fiction and purely that. I am about 40 chapters into a work of three or possibly two parts and I am currently on the third rewrite hoping to finish the entire thing this year. But I have heard myself say that before! No, this year I mean it. My great ambition in life is to get it into print but the more I work the less I think its going to happen. Anyone know a blind, daft, gullible agent and publisher?

And finally, I am married and have a vewy ickle baby! I write just about everyday. But I also end up with baby sick on me everyday as well so it's nothing to brag about!

[This message has been edited by Heimdall (edited January 02, 2002).]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Masuri
Member # 1333

- posted      Profile for Masuri   Email Masuri         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

My name is Laurie, and I'm new. I live in Columbus, Ohio and while I'm not yet an aspiring writer, I'm aspiring to become one. My main interests are more the elements of writing than writing itself, so perhaps I lean more toward editor than writer. We'll see, I suppose.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Sahansama
Member # 770

- posted      Profile for Sahansama   Email Sahansama         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, *mummbles softly* OK here we go.
You can see my use name over there, yep on the side, that's me.
I'm not technically a newbie because I was active many moons ago, mainly in the young writers forum, and I just . . . drifted away, but I'm back

I write the way I post, it is either a famine or a feast.

I am obsessed by names . . . no really, I sometimes spend longer working out the names of the characters than I do writting them, the name has to be right, it has to fit.

last bit of trivia . . . I do a martial art which I really enjoy, but I don't believe in hitting people. Go figure.

-- Shan

Posts: 287 | Registered: Dec 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Skolovic
Member # 1341

- posted      Profile for Skolovic           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all
My name is Alex. I live in Kentucky at the moment, but I'm originally from Philadelphia. I'm a bad tempered redhead (just threw that in for no reason). I'm very witty and at times sarcastic, so get used to it. I love to write and read probably more then anything, though I will say that my writing is medicore. I hope to learn more about you people and to really get to know you. Most of you seem interesting.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruralpunk
Member # 1342

- posted      Profile for Ruralpunk   Email Ruralpunk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site, sort of...That is, I've been skulking around in the shadows for a few years, just an unidentified phantasm sucking wisdom out of you all collectively -

I'm from everywhere, pretty much, but Oregon always feels like home when I'm here. And I am. California always warms me, Colorado excites, Ohio I shouldn't mention in polite company...but I'm just a visitor anywhere, no matter how long I stay.

Your time is the only thing you really own. The currency of true wealth is love... these - cliches, I guess, to most people - guide my writing like they do my life.

Major influences in my writing are Heinlein, Foster (who produced mediocre stuff but tons of it), and of course the character creators OSC, Niven, and Stout.

It's funny: I always loved reading sci-fi, my whole life, and assumed I would grow up to write it, but I can't worth a crap. I write 'speculative' fiction, I guess, but nothing is futuristic about it - nothing you would normally associate with the genre.

Not that it matters. Anyway that's my two cents, I'll keep it short. Nice to be here.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldark
Member # 1344

- posted      Profile for Aldark   Email Aldark         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there everyone. I've been lurking for a few weeks now and figured it was time to jump in. Like most of you I'm an aspiring writer and no matter where life takes me writing is always on my mind.

So I hope I can contribute to the group!

-Scott

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ANGEL 01
Member # 1351

- posted      Profile for ANGEL 01   Email ANGEL 01         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, I'm new (obviously) and Fresh from the young writers workshop, where I found more on (surprisingly enough) politics, than I have here. So I was wondering if there even was a place for for that most unwanted of subjects here. If so, can someone tell me?

About me: I'm probably the youngest person here, and thus the most prone to comments. I don't care much for stories here, for I do those elsewhere. I'm more interested in well, politics right now, and have found that the most inteligent of people on these subjects, are people who can write (ie: all of you).

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm a bit of a fuddy-duddy at times, but I'd really prefer that we not have a place for discussing politics.

This is a place for discussions of writing, and I'd rather we kept it to writing as much as possible.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve L W
Member # 1352

- posted      Profile for Steve L W   Email Steve L W         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Stephen L Williams and I am a new member. I am from Gosnells, Western Australia.

I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope you will be a great support and comfort to me.

The above is the first paragraph out of a famous diary, written on june the 12, 1942. I had to use it, because it is exactly what I hope to get from this forum.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeBlick
Member # 1356

- posted      Profile for MikeBlick   Email MikeBlick         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Mike and I just signed up. I'm 20 years old from Los Angeles, California. I enjoy reading fiction and writing. I hope that I can get some insight and ideas from the threads here and look forward to being a part of the community.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Buggles
Member # 1357

- posted      Profile for Saffron Buggles   Email Saffron Buggles         Edit/Delete Post 
G’day all. (nice to see there’s a few other Aussies that are interested in writing)
My name is David Mashiko and I come from Alaba*URK* try again… from Melbourne, Australia.

Picking up The Hobbit when I was 13 turned out to be a blessing and a curse. The blessing was that for the first time ever I knew what it meant to read, and have a new world open up to my mind. Prior to that I had been a less than reluctant reader. (John Ronald Reuel, I owe you one.) Following that humble introduction into the genre, I took the greater part of the next 4 years to read The Lord of the Rings, however, a friend passed me a copy of Pawn of Prophecy, during that time, and suddenly, my reading began to get quicker. (though I’m still in the habit of getting so caught up in a story, tasting the atmosphere, which consequently slows my reading immensely.

By the time I had finished the Belgariad and the Malorian, and a great deal of the Elenium, I was in my final years of grade school, and finding English my best subject. My writing folios in 11th and 12th grades were the Highlights and were comprised primarily of creative fiction. During my final Secondary year, I was encouraged to enter my writings into the local Fellowship of Australian Writer’s Annual competitions, and won a joint first prize for the Judah Waten Award for a collection of writing from young writers. I shared the prize with a group of 6 students from another secondary school. Boy was that a surprise. Couple that with a commendation for a short story, in which I was one of the youngest writers, and I began to really believe that I had been given the gift of the gab. (you’ve probably noticed that by now!!!)

Since that time, though, I’ve gone through the usual Pre- and Post-Adolescent garbage you have to go through to be considered a “grown-up”, but I’m sorry to say that pushing on 30, I still have a little wide-eyed boy, who daydreams all the time, inside my head. The fallout of those times, though, was a hiatus in my writing. I began my first novel in 1991, and have only recently caught the bug again, to do something about completing it. I have never really been idle though, just have too many interests. Reading, writing, and not just Fantasy, but Songs, Poetry, the occasional social commentary. Too many interests with not enough time.

Fave authors are: Anthony, Asimov, Card, Clarke, Eddings(es), Feist, Furey, Jefferies, Jordan, McCafferey, Rowling (gotta love Harry!!!), Scott Rohan, and of course, (alphabetically speaking), Tolkien (the God of Fantasy in my opinion).

Saffron Buggles is a character out of my latest story thread, (a Rowling inspired work – never knew children’s lit was this fun!) and looking at the ever climbing word count for this Narcissistic Diatribe, I guess I DO like to hear the typeface of my own voice…

Thus spoken
Great to finally discover you all
Greetings
Dave

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Human For Sale
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Human For Sale   Email Human For Sale         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.
I'm nothing special. Just someone who came across this site by chance. I first heard of OSC from a friend, and did a google search and came here. Yada yada yada.
I'm from Canada. West-Edmonton, Alberta. 18, female. More on that stuff on my site which you can find in my profile.
I've been writing poetry for the past few years. Recently I've begun writing essays, and I've also started writing a book. I'm not sure what genre it is. Sci-fi, fantasy... I'll figure that out once I'm finished with the outline.
I'm sure I'll enjoy time spent here, and especially any help that is offered and received.
~Tashina~

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EWilliams
Member # 1348

- posted      Profile for EWilliams           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all! I've been lurking on these boards on and off for a bit (mainly because I'm a fan of OSC, since I found them before I started writing a lot).

I'm 18, and a student at Roanoke College (in Virginia). I was originally going to major in Biochem/Comp Sci (double major, in the pre-med program) but I decided to switch to English and pursue a career in writing (be it in newspapers, or whatever). I still may do the comp sci thing, but I'm not sure yet.

Most of what I write is about depression, having delt with it myself and seen it in my family a great deal, but I also try sci-fi and fantasy from time to time.

This is really a random thing, but if any of you watch either Speedvision or OLN then you may have seen some of the work I've done (graphics).

Yeah... I guess I've rambled on long enough. Anyway, nice to be here and all... maybe I'll start posting some.

[ Begin Edit ]
It has occured to me that I did not say where I am from. I'm from Connecticut, though I do go to school in VA. I think that would cover it.
[ End Edit ]

[This message has been edited by EWilliams (edited February 02, 2002).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 1369

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Online, most people call me "Macca". I like to keep my real name to myself. In truth, I'm more than a little secretive and have considered using a pen name should I ever publish anything the traditional way.

I'm a graduate biology student...well, in a manner of speaking. I had some medical difficulties, lost my financial aid, and am now washing buses for a living until I get some debts paid off.

I am apparently somewhat talented on the technical end of language. I first began piecing together how to read from road signs when I was two years old, or so my family tells me. Since then, it's become downright hard to get my nose out of books. I will read almost anything sci-fi or fantasy, and still have some taste left over from my younger days for mystery. Everyone praises my clarity of expression.

But when it comes to actually producing a _story_, I run into trouble. Most of the time what happens is that I use up my plot ideas producing a setting--an alternate history, for instance--and then find I have nothing for characters to _do_.

Now that I have a computer, here I am. I showed up just yesterday and got myself signed up to this forum a couple of hours ago. I first heard about the place in the afterword to _Children of the Mind_, which also enthralled me with Card's bit piece on "serious writing" and on his intent to write for his religous culture. I myself am a devout member of the LDS' mirror image, the churches of Christ, and would love to end up doing the same thing for us.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
greyscale
Member # 1366

- posted      Profile for greyscale   Email greyscale         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm greyscale, and I have a real name but I think I'll keep it quiet for now. *grins* I'm 18 years old, Chinese by heritage but American by upbringing, a male college student at a Jesuit university in California. Not particularly religious--I just like it here.

I try to be honest, to a fault sometimes; I'm way too smart for my own good, meaning I coast a lot in school because I don't need much effort to get along. I like helping people out in stressful times because those are also the most interesting ones. I'm strange. But sometimes people like me anyway. I like games a lot.

I've been writing since a very young age--first grade? Earlier? It was all imitation at first, but even then it was better than most of what my classmates turned out. I have a very vivid, very active imagination and I come up with a lot of ideas, most of which end up lost in my head somewhere. I first got into original fiction in 6th grade and since them I've been doing my best to stop imitating and start innovating. It doesn't work well, but I have a knack for pulling bits out of everything I read or watch and combining them in new, interesting ways, so I guess I'm stradling the line between new and reused stuff. I have a number of short stories and what comes out to be a novelet finished, plus the starter set for a fully-functional trading card game, but I've only tried to get myself published once. Got rejected--no wonder, it was an awful story--pinned it up. Now I have Gordon Van Gelder's signature on my wall! ^_^

I think I'm beginning to get bored with writing. This scares me to no end, because I'm not sure what to do with myself otherwise.

And that's me. Hi. *waves*

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Arcada
Member # 1370

- posted      Profile for Arcada   Email Arcada         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it seems there's a lot of other techies who are writing. I hope I'll fit in, seeing as I'm one of them.

Anyways, I'm 22, and I'm a computer science major in my senior year at a California State University. I've written short stories and essays for school, and I've been told I have a knack for it. So, I've started writing for *gasp* my own pleasure. And thus, here I am.

[This message has been edited by Arcada (edited February 14, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Arcada (edited February 14, 2002).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Holy Crusader
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Holy Crusader           Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Rob van Empel (don't try to pronounce it, its impossible for an englishman). I'm from the Netherlands and 19 years old. still doing the last year of Further Scientific education (superior high school, highest level). I will continue my studies into information science, and probably will become a computer programmer. I am a devoted computer game fan, and read a lot of fantasy/SF books. My favourite writer is Tolkien. I read the hobbit at age 10 in 2 weeks, and LOTR when I was 12 in one month (entire trilogy). because of my interest in games I ended up on several gaming forums, where some were writing stories. being fascinated by this, I decided to contribute by writing poetry. while not very good at first, I develeoped, and people told meI should contribute it at some potry website. taking the first one at hand (www.poetry.com) I started posting my poetry there. last year my work got recognised by the international library of poetry (www.poetry.com) and one of my poems will get published in "under a quicksilver moon" coming this winter. This is of course a enormous boost, and I will therefore continue writing. however, the gaming forums are not a good place to get constructive critisism on my work, so I came here.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
cesare borgia
Member # 1363

- posted      Profile for cesare borgia   Email cesare borgia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. My name is Cesare Borgia. (pronounced SHA-ZARE-AH BOR-JAY) I've been writing since I was a little kid, but always in sporadic bursts and never with any concentrated effort, (it sounded good but my characters/stories had no depth).

I stumbled in here about the same time I started working on my first serious effort, and have found that many people in here have intelligent things to say and that I can learn a lot, so I tend to be around pretty often.

I read like an addict, devouring whole series in a matter of days, and my favorite authors include Orson Scott Card, James Clavell, Frank Herbert, C.S. Freidman, Margaret Weise & Tracy Hickman, just to name a few.

Hmm... what else would anyone care about? I live in Seattle, I'm single, I like long walks on the beach in the moonlight... Think I've crossed over into giving too much info, I should probably stop...

-Cesare

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

I’m a 25 year old book lover who is working on writing her first fantasy novel. It’s been great reading through the many posts in the Writing Forums as well as the rest of the well-crafted Hatrack website -- very informative and thought provoking.

Out of curiosity, what is the Literary Boot Camp private forum? (I can’t seem to find any information about in on the site.) The title makes it sound like it would be interesting.

GZ

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The Literary Boot Camp forum is for people who participated in a special workshop (known as the Literary Boot Camp) taught by Orson Scott Card last summer.

I don't know if he's going to teach one this summer. If he is, there will be announcements on the home page <www.hatrack.com>.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JLGothos
Member # 1375

- posted      Profile for JLGothos           Edit/Delete Post 
Ho, fellow writers.

My Name is JLGothos, I am 24 yrs old and i am working on my first book. Just thought i would introduce myself. Have a nice day!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, all. I'm policyvote ('policy' for short)--I'm 20 years old, struggling to find myself as a person at the moment, and thinking doing some writing might help. Unfortunately, I haven't written anything other than essays on political theory and philosophy in something like three years, so my writing skills are . . . well, rusty would be the polite term.

Crappy would be the honest term.

Back to me for a sec--I attend Michigan State University (badly). I do computer stuff (and donate plasma) to pay the bills. I like reading and acting and singing and music and playing bass, but they all take away so much time from each other that I never seem to be able to do any of them. And, most importantly, I've found a wonderful girl who puts up with all my self-absorption and scatterbrainedness. I hope to be a part of this community, just to get to know y'all if nothing else. Ideally, I'd like to be a better writer for the association, as well.

Peace
policy

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nofear
Member # 1384

- posted      Profile for Nofear           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a hard time trying to get myself to write. While I can create worlds, societies, technologies, magic systems, languages and such, putting together a plot with characters and actually writing it down has been very difficult. I am hoping that by participating in a writing group, I will be able to force myself to write at least something down.

I am looking forward to it.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nofear
Member # 1384

As for my interests, I enjoy both science fiction and fantasy. But, I like my science fiction and fantasy to be plausible. They should seem natural and make sense much as the laws of nature we are accustomed to do. Despite plot being one of my greatest weakness, I find a clever plot with reasonable twists and turns immensely satisfying.

[This message has been edited by Nofear (edited February 25, 2002).]

Maccabeus
Member # 1369

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like we have something in common, Nofear. See my thread "Worlds but no Action".
Posts: 55 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hellllloooooo alllll!

My name is Nate Nelson (aka Falken, bob, Phil, Frank, Fred, Tom, Joe, Pete, Natalie)

After spending 20 of my 23 years in Portland, OR USofA I have recently moved to Idaho. I work as a programmer for the Idaho State Police, and I love stories and storytelling.

However, the sad fact is, I despise writing. I hate it. I can think of few things I would rather NOT be doing. But I cannot contain myself. I have too many stories to tell, to many wonderful worlds to share with people, and when it comes right down to it . . . I hate NOT writing more than I hate actually doing it.

So, here I am, trying to nurture the very creative energy that tears me apart. :-(

Okay, so maybe it's not quite that bad, but it feels like it sometimes. And I find I like what I write better when other people rip it apart and I can put it back together again. 'Cause when it comes right down to it I'm a better re-creator than I am a regular creator.

It's good to hear all the advice, all the stories, all the frustrations and jubilations. I hope to have a great writing experience with all of you, if you'll be patient enough to keep dragging me back here. :-) (once you get to know me of course.) ;-)

Happy Storytelling to all.

| Report this post to a Moderator
Nofear
Member # 1384

If it's the typing you hate, you could get Dragon: Perfectly Speaking.
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*

Actually, no . . . I LOVE typing and am better and faster at it than most people I know. I hate trying to describe the pictures in my head and having them come out all wrong. I have a lot of people tell me that will come easier the more I write, and it does, but in the meantime . . . *shudder*

I love EDITING though. I can take words and reshuffle them around to make something sound better, or different.

I just have to learn not to edit myself 'til I get something down the first time.

But those first drafts. UGH!

[This message has been edited by Falken224 (edited March 04, 2002).]

| Report this post to a Moderator
DrAbraham
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for DrAbraham   Email DrAbraham         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, time to introduce myself I guess
... for the second time in this thread.
Spent some time here a little over a year ago, so if you can find something written by a swedish person around the beginning of 2001 in this thread, then that's me

Life got in the way for my writing, but I'm back now with a new name and even more silly ideas to write about! or well... this time I atleast have a few ideas that I migth actually start working on if I ever get the courage to get started

Short story of my life... 22, male, Sweden, still a full-time philosopher (=unemployed, but hoping to change that next week), writer-wannabe ever since I was little but never really managed to get anything written,
and as a useless thing to know about me; I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 34 coke-cans surrounding my computer. Wonder why I have trouble sleeping during the nights

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JeremyMc
Member # 1400

- posted      Profile for JeremyMc   Email JeremyMc         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to meet you Dr.Abraham
New here myself. Oregon, USA. Too close to 29.

I like the coke cans.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.