Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » here's something different

Author Topic: here's something different
swami
Member # 1500

- posted      Profile for swami   Email swami         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the first few pages of a screenplay I've been working on. There are some formatting problems but I'd like most to know what you think of the story and dialogue and how it flows together. Enjoy

FINDING LIFE
(working title)
a screenplay by:
Brian Walton
&
Matt Cardwell

FADE IN:
EXT. STREET-- NIGHT

JONATHAN LAMB, 18, runs desperately down an empty street at night. His head darts from side to side as he runs. Every headlight, ever stray cat, every shadow causes paranoia. He runs frantically yet everything seems to move in slow motion.

JON (V.O.)
Have you ever had the feeling that you were about to die? As if any second some freak accident would just wipe you off the face of this earth.

He rounds a corner just as another car does. Tires squeal, a horn blares. Jon darts frantically out of the way.

JON (V.O.)
Did you ever feel like you had to say goodbye to your parents and tell them that you love them because you don't want your last words to be something stupid.

He is running along the train tracks now, right down the center between the bars.

Well, there's the first few pages. Let me know what you think and if you wanna read more I can e-mail it.

Sorry, even screenplay samples need to be keep to the first thirteen lines (or first page).

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 27, 2002).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good!

It seems like you have the mechanics of screenplays down pretty well. You might want to avoid words like "desperately". It seems like a character thought or feeling, something that should be avoided in screenplays. Instead, simply write what we see. If done properly, the actions should be enough to convey the ambiance without resorting to adverbs (stamp them out, as King would say).

Your V.O. dialogue seems fine. I see where you're going with it, but I just hate the word 'Stupid'. Perhaps change that with something like 'insignificant' or 'meaningless'.

How much have you done of this screenplay?

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
Please send me all of it; I'm hooked.

dragyngide@yahoo.com

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
swami
Member # 1500

- posted      Profile for swami   Email swami         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that thirteen line thing. I'm new to the forum. I'm done with the script, though I'm still editing it. I could definately use some help in developing some of the minor characters. Some of the scenes seem a little forced. Let me know if you want to read the rest and I'll send it to you. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~bw

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.