Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fantasy

Author Topic: Fantasy
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Her feet felt nearly dead, but she decided not to slow her walk. The pain could only last so long, and Mira had to save her young sister Silu. The faster, the better. Not once did she worry about failing: merry hope burned strong within her, an enduring flame.
She arrived at a frightful, cold building that had to be where the wizard Lor was. At least according to the description her friend had given. Mira drew even closer, holding tightly for luck her dead mother's red ring.
Next to the front door, was a sign that read: "Only applicants come here."
For a short moment, Mira wondered if she should leave. Although she didn't know what an applicant was, she almost certainly wasn't one.
But, did it matter? She had gold from pawning her old treasures, and the glitter of money could get much from many.

I would appreciate some critique of the opening pages of a book I am writing.
I apologize for constantly asking for help on these forums, I only do so because I have no one else to look to for criticism, and because I am perfectly willing to critique as well.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited November 23, 2003).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you concidered joining a group?
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting. Feel free to send me a copy.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Joining a group doesn't mean you get a lot of feedback

Sample crits:

"Her feet felt nearly dead, but she decided not to slow her walk." There is no reason not to use the character's name here. The only thing you accomplish is to briefly cast doubt on whether this is Mira or some other character that has to do something that Mira isn't doing because she's off saving her sister (note that this criticism assumes that this is the first line of the story or of this POV section).

"The pain could only last so long...The faster, the better...Not once did she worry about failing...an enduring flame." This is fairly effective POV that lets us see the character from the inside.

"merry hope burned strong..." this just sounds a bit funny. I can see determination in the rest of the description, I don't see merriment. If she's feeling 'merry hope' then I would like to see a reason.

"She arrived at a frightful, cold building that had to be where the wizard Lor was." There are a bunch of problems with this line. The first problem is that it is really sudden, she doesn't see the building before she arrives, she just suddenly is there (perhaps there is a blizzard or something?). The second problem is that the description is vague. We finally are dealing with a physical scene outside of Mira's feet and her feelings...but we have no description about what she's seeing (it could be a blizzard at night, or a desert waste at noon, or both...we just can't tell). The final problem is that the sentence structure here is really clumsy, partly because you manage to do a double passive back-flip...which is never graceful, and isn't necessary in this case. Passive voice has its place (see above)...just not here.

For more, send your story to me

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The pain could only last so long, and Mira had to save her young sister Silu. The faster, the better.

No time for any full crit but, though POV may be more on the mark here, the sentence fragment is vague. Is Mira looking forward to a final end to the pain , or is it better to quickly save the sister?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
"Her feet felt nearly dead, but she decided not to slow her walk. The pain could only last so long, and Mira had to save her young sister Silu. The faster, the better."
Incomplete sentence
"Not once did she worry about failing: merry hope burned strong within her, an enduring flame."
:?
"She arrived at a frightful, cold building that had to be where the wizard Lor was. At least according to the description her friend had given."
Better if the period after "was" turned to a comma.
"Mira drew even closer, holding tightly for luck her dead mother's red ring."
Restructure- holding her dead mother's red ring tightly for luck
"Next to the front door, was a sign that read: "Only applicants come here.""
Omit the comma after door.
"For a short moment, Mira wondered if she should leave. Although she didn't know what an applicant was, she almost certainly wasn't one.
But, did it matter?"
Using "but" there is awkward, poor grammer at the least.
"She had gold from pawning her old treasures, and the glitter of money could get much from many."
Get much from many = awkward phrase.

Don't take the crit. too hard. Not all of it is proper (?), just my suggestions.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
In the course of time, this entire passage has been deleted (thank God!). Thanks for the corrections, though.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.