Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Unnecessary first paragraph?

Author Topic: Unnecessary first paragraph?
glogpro
Member # 1745

- posted      Profile for glogpro           Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto was kind enough to critique my story. One of his suggestions was that the opening paragraph be omitted. Anyone else have an opinion? Here is the opening paragraph, and a few lines from the next:

Heroism comes in many forms. It does not always garner praise, and is not always recognized. Such was the case of the one we knew as Timerian Ghota. In the end he made the ultimate sacrifice to save fifty strangers from certain death. But no one celebrated Ghota’s heroic act. Indeed, no one even knew that he had given his life, or that the fifty he saved had been in mortal peril. No one knew, except me.

My name is James McNeil. I am the psych officer on the SAS Vladimir Komarov.

I stop here out of respect for the 13 line limit. The second paragraph continues to explain about the ship, and the series of events that start the action of the story. But the point is, does the first paragraph help, or just delay things unnecessarily?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I said eliminate the first paragraph, as it seems fine, but what I did focus on was the elimination of other passages which served little point to the story.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
It comes across like an intro for a DRAGNET episode. You, know, "My name is Joe Friday..." The only thing missing is, "The names have been changed to protect the innocent."
If that is what you were after then, Good Job! If not, then I would change it or drop it.

Another idea would be to make it longer, change it up a bit and add it as a prologue.

As this is, this intro doesn't work for me. I could compare it to a big yeild sign coming onto a four lane highway.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to vote thumbs up on the passage as it stands, but not without but caveats and criticisms.

It very much looks to me as though James McNeil is not going to be the main character here, rather, that he is a first person narrator of Timerian Ghota's story, like Nick narrating the story of Gatsby. If this comparison is accurate, then I would say that an opening paragraph like this, though perhaps not revealing exactly this information in exactly these words, is quite necessary. This paragraph tells us why James is telling this story, if not all his reasons, and makes the first person narrative frame of the story a convincing illusion that draws us into the word of the story. Insofar as James seems like a believable narrator, we believe in the story he tells.

If the above is not the case, then my endorsement has to be suspended, though not necessarily withdrawn. But I am moved to believe that the story, even if it is not precisely what I describe above, will still be quite good because you break the first rule of unpublishable newbie writing, which is thus written:

THOU SHALT GO TO RIDICULOUS LENGTHS TO HIDE THE POINT OF YOUR STORY TILL THE READER HAS LOST INTEREST AND MOVED TO ANOTHER STORY.

The fact that you break this rule with flair and without subjecting us to a summarization of the story you're about to tell makes me credit that even if the story you tell is not conventional, it will be well told.

With the overall approval and reasons for it disposed of, let me say that there are some nits I will pick.

"Such was the case of the one we knew as Timerian Ghota."

Unless it is going to be revealed that Timerian Ghota was not in fact his name (or for some reason shouldn't have been his name), and this is going to be a vital point in the story, then don't say "the one we knew as". And I mean important, like his real name was Korvaditch Treldanka, which would have meant that he was a Skredeanian prince and thus could only serve in the SAS by completely changing his identity.

When you use the phrases "ultimate sacrifice" and "certain death" in parallel like that, it pushes a line that "the one we knew as" has already crossed, thus sensitizing us. It probably isn't too bad in itself, but coming hard after "the one we knew as" (assuming here that this is indeed justifed and will be kept) it rings of cliche...or at least larding the lauds on a bit thick. That possibly applies to the passage as a whole, but reining in just those passages would probably fix it. Same for "mortal peril", just a bit early in the narrative for us to buy such a ringing phrase. Of course, the frame of the story does seem to be along the lines of a hagiographic portrayal, but possibly for a man that was regarded as less than exemplary in life, which would need to nullify the impulse to lay the heroic lauds on so thick at the outset.

I could pick at the other sentences, but that's all it would be, pickyness. The final line particularly works well with the one just before it, the first use of the direct first person "me." In any other context I would probably find fault with it, but here it fits in the the context quite well.

So, overall thumbs up for broad concept, with some tone nits which are easily fixed (if, in fact, they are actually problems). Don't scrap it (I could be wrong, since I haven't read the whole story).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
glogpro
Member # 1745

- posted      Profile for glogpro           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, Survivor, it is interesting how perceptive you are -- or at least, how in tune your sensibilities are with mine. You say,

quote:
It very much looks to me as though James McNeil is not going to be the main character here, rather, that he is a first person narrator of Timerian Ghota's story, like Nick narrating the story of Gatsby.

Why yes, that is exactly the situation. Although at the end there is some ambiguity about who really is the main focus of the story. The story is clearly a chronicle of events in which Timerian is central. But it turns out to be as much about McNeil's journey as Timerian's.

You say,

quote:
Unless it is going to be revealed that Timerian Ghota was not in fact his name (or for some reason shouldn't have been his name), and this is going to be a vital point in the story, then don't say "the one we knew as".

And in fact, the question of identity is a key issue in the story -- and not just Timerian's identity, either.

You say,

quote:
When you use the phrases "ultimate sacrifice" and "certain death" in parallel like that, it pushes a line ....

And if it were hyperbolic that would be true. But as the story unfolds, it is seen that these phrases are actually a more or less objective description of what Timerian did, and why.

Of course you have not seen the whole story. If you would like to .....

Posts: 550 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would like to see the whole thing. But as I said, if it is necessary to use "the one we knew as", then go ahead and soften the 'ultimate sacrifice...certain death' bit. Particularly in the case where you want to draw McNeil along a transformative journey, it works best if we get only glimpses of his destination, so that his voice seems to evolve through the story. He is naturally conscious of what his attitudes were then are how they differed from what they are now, and I think that at least part of his purpose is to draw others along that same path of discovery. So he wants to start out speaking to people who begin reading from the same viewpoint he once occupied.

Of course, every now and then he's very clearly looking back on that attitude with dismay at his own prior obtuse blindness, but he must remember that he's talking to an audience that is still somewhere nearer that attitude than he now is.

But again, I wouldn't be averse to reading more.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.