Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First, first 13

Author Topic: First, first 13
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m new here and I thought I’d introduce myself by submitting to a public flogging. I’m really not sure about the first sentence, but I left it in anyway. This is part of a short story I am rewriting.

Fear came in the form of voices in the hall outside the Arch Cardinal’s office. Father Anna stood dead still in the dark, listening.
Her hand was in the drawer of the Cardinal’s personal desk. It had not occurred to her that anyone would be in this building tonight; everyone was required to be at Mass.
The voices passed and moved on. Anna waited until the sounds of their footsteps faded into the shadows of the tapestry hung walls and display cases of sacred relics before she took the key from the desk drawer.
“Another sin,” she said under her breath,” another sin, another crime, to confess and pay penitence for.” She massaged her neck with her fist. Tonight she would find the proof she needed and then she could go to her superior with more than just the figures from an accounting record. After tonight, she would know exactly what was going on in the catacombs below the Pope’s private apartments.

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not catholic, are you?

penitence? I hope you mean penance.

Arch Cardinal? Ain't no such creature. There are Arch Bishops, which are the bishops that are in charge of arch dioceses and are higher ranking than bishops. Above Arch Bishopes are Cardinals, whose most important function is to select a new Pope when the time comes...then there is the Pope. That's it...no Arch Cardinal.

I assume this takes place in the future, since you have a woman in the priesthood. I actually like that detail, though I am afraid that this particular change is likely to be centuries in coming. I have spoken with priests about it and they tell me the reason is that the Catholic church, being universal, has to take into account the beliefs of many countries that are not as enlightened as the US in this respect. It's frustrating but there it is...some think that the Catholic church is due for another split ...into a US Catholic church that, among other things, allows wmoen into the priesthood. But this church would not be likely to follow the Pope in the Vatican.

Just some things to keep in mind...I would suggest some research. But otherwise this was a pretty well written, suspenseful bit. I'll let someone else flog you on those details.

Welcome to Hatrack!

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited March 09, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited March 09, 2004).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

One other quick thought...is she likely to ocnfess a sin like this at all? I'm afraid that a priest's vow in this case will only go so far.
Kickle
Member # 1934

Thank you for your comments. I know there is no such thing as an Arch Cardinal,and if it is distracting in the story I will eliminate it. The rest of the story takes place in the Vatic Age of the Catholic Church,there are a number of changes to the church in order for it to thrive, one of which is women priests,and the other change is the core of this story. I am trying to keep this story respectful to the church. It actually deals with what might happen as the result of diffcult decisions faced by all churches in future. Father Anna finds out what has happened when she visits the catacombs.
kinglear
Member # 1932

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...I thought I’d introduce myself by submitting to a public flogging....

Almost everyone here is nice, just watch out for anyone walking around carrying a large stick marked P.O.V. anyways --

I agree with Christine's comments regarding Catholicism. If you're going to use a relatively well known institution/religious group, it would be good to do more research so it matches up with what is generally known. If as Christine assumes this is a story in the future, then creating new positions/events like Arch-Cardinals or female priests can work, but I would suggest introducing something contextual that shows what the position is or how it came to be relatively soon in the story after mentioning that position.

EDIT: Ok, i started this post before Kickle posted the info about this being set in the Vatic Age of the church, which I have no idea what age that decribes. But the concept is the same, creating a new position can be confusing without contextual information

Also, just to nitpick a little:

quote:
Her hand was in the drawer of the Cardinal’s personal desk.

If it's the Cardinals desk isn't it generally assumed to be his personal desk? Personally I would think that it might be his private desk or such.

quote:
...sounds of their footsteps faded into the shadows of the tapestry hung walls...

I think that audible events fade into audible back grounds while visible events fade into visible backgrounds. So if you are watching the poeple walk away they would fade into shadows, but if you are listening to footsteps they might fade into the rustling of tapestries in a gust of wind from an open window or something.

good luck and welcome to the boards.

-jon-

[This message has been edited by kinglear (edited March 09, 2004).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If they are allowing ordination of women, you might want to consider using a gender neutral word for parent rather than "Father".

"It had not occurred to her that anyone would be in this building tonight; everyone was required to be at Mass."

Don't make your main character out to be an idiot right off the bat. Yes, there are great stories that get away with it. But just don't do it.

"Anna waited until the sounds of their footsteps faded into the shadows of the tapestry hung walls and display cases of sacred relics before she took the key from the desk drawer."

Nice use of language and so forth, but if you look at this line, it clearly implies that; a. the cardinal's office is a really huge hall (which it might well be), b. the owners of the voices were in the office with her, and didn't actually leave so much as walk far enough away to get lost in the shadows and become inaudible. The first might well be your intent, but I'm almost certain that the second wasn't, or you would have mentioned them entering the office before walking off into its shadows.

Ditto on the Catholic bits....

Also, I personally see no reason that there should be women priests, the various sisterhoods seem like better outlets for whatever social tensions need the touch of women in the ecclesiarhy. I mean, as long as society hasn't decided to actually abolish the biological distinction between men and women...and those societies never seem to last very long, for various reasons (okay, mostly for just the one reason).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

The visual/ auditory suggestion makes total sense to me; in fact I think I know another point in the story where I have made the same mistake.
The use of “Father” I gave a great deal of consideration before I choose to use it. I came to the decision to use it because a woman in the priesthood is not the main focus of the story. I did not want to spend the reader’s time dwelling on that topic; it simply is a fact in the time frame of the story (I did notice everyone who read my 13 understood that Anna was a priest after the second sentence). What also is important to me personally is that all the characters in my story are spiritual leaders who have moved beyond the boundaries of sexuality, and I thought that the term “Father “ helped to reflect that idea.
I am tiered of stories featuring priests as not being able to grow beyond affairs with married women and molesting children, there are so many other fascinating aspects to spirituality.
Penance? I think I was a victim of spell check on that one.

Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
Penance? I think I was a victim of spell check on that one.

LOL...yes, I hoped so.

I disagree with Survivor about the "Father" thing, though when I read it this morning I stopped and thought about it as well. But the reason priests are called "Father" goes beyong their gender, and besides, "Mother" is already reserved for a nun. (Most are sisters, but there is a Mother Superior who is called "Mother".) I totally buy the "Father" thing, and besides, it drove the point that she was a priest right home with no further explanations about future Catholic doctrine.

Ahhh....the sexual conflict of a young, handsome priest who has become torn between his vows and a beautiful woman (married or otherwise)...yes, that is becomming overdone. Still, I can see why it sold in the first place, we do love stories about forbidden love.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited March 10, 2004).]

Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the issue of calling a female priest "Father"...I'm Episcopalian, and we've had female priests for some years. They're often addressed as "Mother". (And yes, we have nuns too.) Some female priests aren't comfortable being called "Mother", and choose something else, e.g. "Pastor".

I would find it very distracting to read about a female priest referred to as "Father".

Also, I believe the usual phrase is "do penance", not "pay penance".

I'm also working on something involving the Catholic Church, as it happens, and I've been discovering a LOT of good resources are available on the internet - just be careful to choose authoritative ones.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
glogpro
Member # 1745

- posted      Profile for glogpro           Edit/Delete Post 
Suggestion: change

another crime, to confess and pay penitence for.

to

another crime, to confess and repent.

I assume that the correct usage is "you repent your sins" and not "you repent for your sins." If that is wrong, consider "to confess and regret." Much cleaner construction than "to confess and do xxxx for."

Posts: 550 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
As a Catholic myself (with a graudate degree in Catholic theology), there are a couple of problems with your futuristic ideas about the Church.

First, given the hierarchy of the Church, an Archbishop is a title above that of Bishop, and so an Arch-Cardinal would be that above a Cardinal. If that's the case, then an Arch-Cardinal wouldn't have a superior. A Superior in the Church is the person in charge of a convent, monestary, or abby. The Catholic Church is very old, and I don't foresee drastic changes within the hierarchy of the Church like the one's you're supposing.

As to women priests, well the only way women will be priests in the Catholic Church is if, as Christine noted, the segment splits off and forms the U.S. Catholic Church. Pope John Paul II, in one of his encyclical letters, has basically close the case on women's priests, saying that an all-male priesthood is an infallible teaching of the Church. Thus, your female priest wouldn't have a Pope to report to -- unless the U. S. Catholic Church sets up a Papal Chair.

I'm not sure I understand the whole thing about confession. Is she refering to the Sacrament of Confession, or is she refering a general act of confession outside of the sacrament? Is she the one commiting the sin? If she is, is it a mortal sin? And if it is, then how does this bear on her conscience? Here's the place where you lack of knowledge about the Church is most apparent.

One more thing -- any church that would split away from Rome in order to ordain women priests probably would consider the idea of relics too medieval to promote.

That priests are called "Father" is directly derived from their gender, for through their priesthood they beget spiritual children. That's the traditional Catholic view of the priesthood.

There are too many stories about celibate priests falling in love with a woman? Well, if the celibate priest is one of the primary characters of the story, what other kind of real personal and dramatic conflict can he deal with? If these are the only stories about priests you've read, then I'm sorry. You should read G. K. Chesterton's Fr. Brown Mysteries. And in the world of SF, you should read James Blish's A Case for Conscience and Walter Miller's A Canticel for Libeowitz.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited March 12, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I was under the impression that the concept of a "mortal" sin is outdated. I believe current Catholic teaching is that all sins are equal in the eyes of God. {I had a lively debate with a priest about this a couple years ago....I think they had it right in the first place and shouldn't have changed it. )
Balthasar
Member # 5399

quote:
I was under the impression that the concept of a "mortal" sin is outdated.

I'm sure a lot of Catholics would like the idea of a "mortal sin" to be outdated, but it is not. The teaching is clearly outlined in the new Catechism, and Pope John Paul II refers to it numerous times in his encyclical letters, particularly Veritatis Splendor, which addresses the modern dissent among Catholic moral theologians.

Survivor
Member # 213

This whole "mortal sin" thing...I suppose I can see how she might be involved in a mortal sin, but the theft itself wouldn't be the sin in that case, right?
Balthasar
Member # 5399

Theft can be a mortal sin. Theft is the taking of another's rightful possessions. Rightful is the key, here. Though a person may leagally own a gun, if you believe he's going to use it for political assissation and you take it away from him, that's not theft in the moral sense, though it may be theft in the legal sense.

But that's not what made me bring up the subject of mortal sin. When a Catholic does something and then says, "I need to confess it," they are always talking about going to the Sacrament of Confession. (Most of the time this is said in a joking way because what they did wasn't that bad.) So when this priest is sticking her hand in the Arch-Cardinal's desk and then is thinking about making confession, what does she think she's doing? If she thinks what she's doing is right, then she won't be thinking about going to Confession. But if she thinks it's a sin worthy of Confession, does she think it's a mortal sin?

Perhaps my point is this: When a Catholic does something and, as he is doing it knows he has to Confess it, in his own mind that act is more grevious than other acts. And it should bear on his conscience, at least to a degree. Not having read the story, I'm not sure how to fix that, but that entire line about sin, crime, confession, and penance simply doesn't ring true.

That's my point; I hope it's clear.

I want to make a correction to my original post. I didn't read it carefully enough, and I though Father Anna was the Arch-Cardinal and therefore said she wouldn't have a superior. I stand by the point in my original post, but Father Anna could have a Superior. Sorry about that.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited March 12, 2004).]

Kickle
Member # 1934

I do appreciate the comments and I am listening. This is definitely a case where 13 lines are not enough and the first draft I have finished is very rough, so I am not ready to share it, yet. I know I am walking a narrow line between making a statement about a possible future and being offensive, and I have no intention of ridiculing the Catholic Church, actually my thoughts are quite the opposite. In my future the Catholic religion is the only surviving Christian religion and how it has survived is a focus of the story (it has little to do with women priests). The Arch Cardinal was my idea of a way to show that this story was set in a possible future; I have scratched that idea as being not clear enough. The sentence that refers to accounting, I think, can be changed to add a futurist feeling.
The sin, this is a much more difficult subject as it is not only a fact of what she is doing, but also a part of what she has done in the past and most importantly how Father Anna sees herself. This is the other core of the story.
As Father Anna sees it, first she is missing a required Mass., second she is stealing a key , is about to break into a restricted area( the Pope’s private catacombs),and she is questioning the Pope’s activities . Father Anna is a woman who is strong in her faith , her love of the Catholic Church and above all God, however she does not have faith in mankind. I don’t want give the story away, but trust me her childhood justifies how she feels about people. I will say it stems from a sin which she feels in her soul, one that she did not committed, but one that her mother shamed her into believing she was guilty of. To Anna she is guilty of a sin one that she doesn’t even dare to verbalize; it is a self abusive cycle that only the Pope can help her out of.
Have I confused you yet? In short it a story of a woman priest and how something she has been made to believe was sin was actually what has saved the future of the church.
OK, for those of you that I realize know a great deal more about Catholicism than I do, a clue, the Pope’s name is Jonah. What did Christ say about Jonah? Thank-you again.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

When you finish it, let us know. If I have the time I'd be delighted to take a look at it. Just a few comments to help you along with your story.

Like I said, I'm a Catholic, and I'm a Catholic of the traditional sort. I'm not in favor of the ordination of women, and I don't think (as Christine seems to think) that the Church in the U. S. is enlightened because it thinks women should be ordained. In my opinion, too many American Catholics have been unduly influenced by radical feminism. I say that so you understand this comment: In no way am I offened by your story.

If the story has "little to do with women priests," why is the main character a woman priest?

If you want to use the idea of the Arch-Cardinal, go ahead, but you'll need to explain what makes them different from an ordinary Cardinal.

If the idea of sin is important in your story, then you'll need to do some work. Sin is a very important aspect of the Catholic faith. Just think, the major Catholic symbol is the crucified Christ--Christ punished for mankind's sin. Also, Catholics have the Sacrament of Confession in which they confess their sins. Sin and guilt have a heavy hand in Catholic consciousness, so you'll need to personalize that in Father Anna.

If she's missing a required Mass, then that's a mortal sin.

"The Pope's private catacombs...." Hmmm, what do you mean by this? Why would the Pope be hanging out in ancient, underground, Roman tombs?

I can certianly appreciate not having faith in mankind.

I know, I know, this is only a story, but I have a hard time believing that a Pope would name himself "Jonah." If you look at Papal names, for centuries Pope's have taken names of their predecessors. When, in 1978, John Paul I chose his name, it was shocking because no Pope had ever combined two names. But he chose traditional names. So here's my point: You can name him Pope Jonah, but to satisfy a reader such as myself, you'll need to explain why he took that name.

An easy explination is this: He's from a country which, in the recent past, had a great saint named Jonah, and he took that name to honor his country's saint.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited March 13, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

The Catholic Church is the only surviving Christian church?

How do you explain that? The Catholic Church has never in the history of the world been the only Christian church, not even when they were busy exterminating heretics.

Kickle
Member # 1934

If you want to go on a short dark trip into my mind I will tell you where the idea started. It was a series of questions: what is required for those who cannot find faith from within themselves to be able to find it? What would make any church more appealing to the masses? I thought in particularly about South America and how the Catholic Church differs there from in main stream US. Then I thought: what would it take to make athletes want to be Christians and change their names to Biblical ones? What would make religion cool to be involved in? And what would be the results, a flood of new Priest to fill vacant churches, the Peace Corps swamped with volunteers, the church taking over all schools, jails systems? And what wouldn’t change, prejudice against of women priests.

What is missing in modern religion and is necessary to make it have a mass appeal? I decided this was good old fashion ceremony, my future church is actually a step back from the modern church, it is churches where the individual can experience fervor. I believe the Catholic Church has the potential to provide the fertile ground for the future I visualize, a mystique not offered by other main stream Christian religions. I did do
research and the Catholic Church has adapted and changed a great deal over the centuries, to me this progression has been sometimes forward, sometimes back depending on who was in power at the time (not necessarily the Pope). At any rate, this
is all background. In my future the Catholic Church made a major change that saved it from extinction, a change the other churches did not have the opportunity to do. This change is actually very weird and would never happen in reality, it is the brain child of a very unusual Pope who love to take walks in orchards and take chances to save his church.

The story is simply the story of Father Anna over 12 hours, from the time she enters the Cardinal’s office, and the catacombs to the point where she and the Pope confront one another.

Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, so you posit two miracles here, first, something unknown has caused [i]all other religions to die out[i] (which is impossible), and secondly, the Catholic Church miraculously survives this extinction of all other religious impulses.

Okay, your story. I'm not going to try to fix it.

Kickle
Member # 1934

Balthasar , This is not the first Pope Jonah , his predecessor was also Jonah and for the purpose of the story no other name would work, this has to do with how Christ felt about Jonah and about who Jonah was other than a man who spent time in the belly of a whale.
Survivor, I said, “Christian Religions”. Where I live many churches are in trouble dwindling attendance, lack of money, lack of leaders and fewer people willing to volunteer their free time to their church. OK, I’ll give you this much there probably are pockets of other Christian religions in my story.
I wish the draft I have finished was not so rough I would send it on, however you have given me advise that will be indispensable in my rewriting. Again thanks to you all you’ve made me feel welcome. I am going to think a bit, but I will let you know when it is presentable.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

Fine, but my point still stands.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
You are a brave man bringing such potentially controversial religious questions into your story. Well done, for audacity alone. Just remember in a universe of infinite possibilities the improbable is certain to happen... hehehe. And don't expect everyone to like this story. It is about religion after all. Just make sure your reasons make sense to you, and that is probably the best you can do.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

I started to rewrite this short story and found that you guys have gotten to me. Anyone interested in reading a rough draft. Be aware my intention was for this to be fantasy not speculative.
Balthasar, you may be right about the Pope’s name, it is distracting. Perhaps it’s me getting carried away with character background that really doesn’t matter to the reader.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited March 16, 2004).]

Eljay
Member # 1941

- posted      Profile for Eljay   Email Eljay         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it - I'm intrigued.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Kickle, you could have the pope's birth name be Jonah, if you really want the allusion in the story.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

My intention was never to get you distracted from the story. The simply fact is that no Pope has taken the name Jonah, and though there is no reason why a future Pope would suddenly take a name that's never been used before, it would seem very strange to this Catholic for him to take a name of an Old Testament prophet--even one that Jesus did refer to. The problem with Kathleen's suggestion is that it is something of a tradition for the Pope to take a new name once he is elected Pope. This is why I suggested having a great saint named Jonah who is from the country you're Pope is from--he takes the name to honor the saint.

But PLEASE don't let my caviling take you away from your story. I've had that happen to me, and I would never want to do it to another. I don't think many people are going to care what you name the Pope--and if it's a good story, I'd not care that much either.

The only REAL problem I do see with the name of Jonah--and not having read the story, I don't know if it really is a problem--is that it might be too obvious of an allusion.

rogozhin
Member # 1930

- posted      Profile for rogozhin   Email rogozhin         Edit/Delete Post 
Kickle, a lesson I have recently learned: Responding to critiques will just increase the level of speculation about details that really have no bearing once you are beyond the first draft. Just take what you get.

Don't let the harsher critics get to you - I am sure they are just as protective about their prize work as anyone else is.

In fact, the harshest critics don't post much of their work at all; whether they feel they are actually above the peer-level that exists here or just don't receive critiquing well, I don't know.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

By saying the name Jonah might be distracting I was refering to the fact it might distract the reader from the more important issues of the story.I don't mind any of the input I have gotten, I take what I like and forget the rest.
I will send it to you Eljay, warts and all.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited March 16, 2004).]

Balthasar
Member # 5399

quote:
In fact, the harshest critics don't post much of their work at all; whether they feel they are actually above the peer-level that exists here or just don't receive critiquing well, I don't know.

Or, they might have their own critiquing group outside of this forum.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.