Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » what grabs you?

Author Topic: what grabs you?
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...I'm not going to say yet what it's about just because I don't want that to color your responses. But...

You're browing the Sci-Fi shelves in the bookstore, which of the following titles is most likely to grab your attention:

October
Rememberance
Hunter's Dream
Finding Reagan

thoughts? I figure it's the title that usually grabs me first...on rare occasion the cover art. So having a good title is key (though I'm sure an editor would suggest their own anyway...).

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Is "Rememberance" intentionally misspelled?

"Finding Reagan" would grab my attention the most, but I'm a conservative Republican.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd pick up HUNTER'S DREAM first.

It just seems more interesting than the others. (I'd probably pick up FINDING REAGAN second, hoping that it didn't have anything to do with President Reagan, and putting it down immediately if it did--it just wouldn't interest me then.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jealous. I have trouble coming up with 1 good title and you've come up with several. I personally don't like October much, because it doesn't say much to me. "Remembrance" -- spelled correctly, isn't bad. It would probably get me to look at the back cover, at least. Hunter's Dream is ok, too, though I don't like it as well as Remembrance. Finding Regan doesn't mean anything to me, I'm afraid. I probably would not give it a back cover look unless I had a lot of time.

But you don't have any real stinkers here. I'd rate them thusly:

Remembrance
Hunter's Dream
Finding Reagan
October

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, when I browse the SF shelves, what grabs me is the edge, and the art on the edge (that is what I can see of it, which is generally a coloured background). I don't read titles much.
Next, I pull the books from the shelves, stare at the cover art, and at the back, and open it in the middle to see if I like the style.
But perhaps I'm an atypical reader.
On a note more connected with the post, the title that would appeal to me most is 'Hunter's Dream', followed by 'Remembrance'. 'Finding Reagan' wouldn't cut much ice with me.

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

NO, I didn't misspell it on purpose. Sigh...spoiled by the ills of technology's coveted spell checkers I guess...

Looks like "Remembrance" is leading the pack...that's good, because it probably fits the storyline the best (though the other three fit very well, also)...

Any more opinions?

(And to be fair, I'm big on cover art, too. Not that it will generate immediate interest in me, but if it's downright cheap looking, I just don't even glance at it).

Byrd
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for Byrd   Email Byrd         Edit/Delete Post 
Order of Preference:
Hunter's Dream
Remembrance
October
Finding Reagan

Have you thought about combining some of your titles together? You get some neat combinations! :-)

Posts: 31 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it seems "Hunter's Dream" is leading and "Remembrance" is coming in second....Remembrance was my first choice but seems to be everyone else's second.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Eric, as a conservative Republican I'm drawn to 'Finding Reagan' first, although if 'Reagan' had been a less meaningful name, 'Hunter's Dream' would've attracted me first. 'October' doesn't work at all for me, and 'Remembrance' would have to have some pretty convincing artwork.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably grab Hunter's Dream first, followed by Finding Regan, Remembrance, and October.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say Hunter's Dream would be first.

I also like the suggestion that Byrd made.
Not to put words in your mouth, but October Dream has a nice ring to it. Eh, maybe not.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a conservative (and by default I'm a Republican), but I didn't immediately think of Ronald Reagan when I saw FINDING REAGAN. For some reason I thought of a little girl. That might have something to do with The Exorcist, which I haven't seen in over 10 years. But wasn't the little girl's name "Reagan." Oh well.

Like the others, OCTOBER doesn't do anything for me, and neither does REMEMBRANCE. In fact, OCTOBER does more for me than REMEMBRANCE because it's my favorite month.

I like HUNTER'S DREAM, and I suppose I like that one the best. But I also like FINDING REAGAN a lot.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited March 31, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
mogservant
Member # 1739

- posted      Profile for mogservant   Email mogservant         Edit/Delete Post 
Finding Reagan makes me think of little orange clownfish and Hunter's Dream makes me think of a carcass with countless antler points. Remembrance, however, has a moody, open-ended feel to it. Definately my choice.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

Balthasaar, you are quite perceptive.

Reagan is a girl in the story (though more teenage than 'little'). But yes, I am a Reagan fan (had nothing to do with the man, though, I just happen to love that name for a girl).

There is a chapter titled "Finding Reagan" which is why I came up with that title, but the prior post has a point...I wonder if it doesn't make people think about pixar flicks.

I love all this feedback, though. Hunter's Dream seems to lead the pack. (My personal favorite is Remembrance though it's been operating under the working title of October).

October is decidedly NOT my favorite month, which has much to do with the title...but, yeah....

RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
Put in another vote for Hunter's Dream

Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest "Remembrance of a Hunter's Dream of Finding Reagan in October."
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

I like survivor's post: Four Smiles.

How about Finding Hunter's October Dream in Remembrance of Reagan....

Byrd
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for Byrd   Email Byrd         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite combo is
October Remembrance of Finding Reagan's Dream Hunter.
Being even more lax with the original titles ...
Reagan's Remembrance of Her Hunter's October Dream
Or, well, I can go on forever with these, but I guess I'll stop.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hendrik Boom
Member # 1991

- posted      Profile for Hendrik Boom   Email Hendrik Boom         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only heard the name "Reagan" ised as a girl's neme when it's spelled "Regan". Have I just led a terribly sheltered life?

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I might pick up "Finding Reagan" if it did have something to do with the former president. Though I must confess Ronald ranks among my favorite presidents of all time, I'm a bit of a conservative (since liberal philosophy with economy doesn't keep my pocketbook healthy)

Still, I very religiously find reasons to satire and jest all forms of politics, even the ones I support.

So I would be hoping the book was a satire, if not ... then I would probably grab for Hunter's Dream. (Note: It seems common or cliche for some reason ... am I the only one that gets that vibe from the title?)

[This message has been edited by Alias (edited April 16, 2004).]

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I, unlike it seems everybody, like October. Even though I don't enjoy that month much. It's my conditioning for winter month.
As for fusion, Think of October Rememberance.(yes with the weird spelling) Or perhaps (and don't take this in reference to the presedent, I like him) Hunting Reagan.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

HUNTING REAGAN! I like it. Well, we'll see.

The running title was October...it started that way because it's just a terrible month for the main character...lots of bad things always seem to happen then.

I guess I hadn't thought of Reagan only being used for boy's names. TO be honest, it has nothing to do wtih politics EXCEPT that Reagan was my favorite president so I decided to go with that spelling instead of the more common form.

It's nice to get one vote for October...still my favorite title...and I'm sure an editor would offer yet something else. But what really matters is what will make a person pick the thing off the shelf and want to read about it.

jpwriter
Member # 1987

- posted      Profile for jpwriter   Email jpwriter         Edit/Delete Post 
For SF - Hunter's Dream - No doubt.
Jerry

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.