Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Readers needed

Author Topic: Readers needed
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok well this is a fantasy short, about 7000 words. I'd be grateful for any readers.

Martin wiped the sweat from his eyes, and stared hard at the shiny coin that lay in his hand. “Gold,” he muttered. “It’s really gold.”

Inside the cave he had not been sure, but now his heart skipped within his narrow chest as the truth sank in. His mother would be pleased. He could not remember the last time he had seen her smile. Now at last they would be able to buy decent food, instead of dried wheat cakes, and old vegetables from the end of the market day. Maybe, he thought to himself, he would even be given a pair of shoes. He had not had a pair since his father left.

The memory of his father saddened him and caused him to dawdle. With a start he realized that he would need to hurry home before it became dark. The mountain trails were treacherous enough during daylight, at nighttime he would be lucky not to kill himself.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cathy Perdue
Member # 7987

- posted      Profile for Cathy Perdue   Email Cathy Perdue         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice start. I'll read it, but can't respond until tomorrow, Tuesday.

Posts: 68 | Registered: May 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I can look too.

Prefer MSWord sent as an attachment.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
My first impression of the opening is that I am interested, but feel like you have started the story late. I really want to know what happened in the cave that led him to holding the gold coin outside of it. Why was he in the cave? What happened? It's not everyday you find a gold coin laying around. You teased me with that detail, but now we are going off to visit the village, which leaves me feeling a little cheated. Intrigued, but cheated.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Too quick, too much info in one paragraph. At least imo.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for everyone who critiqued the whole thing. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.