Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Cycle-Rewrite

Author Topic: Cycle-Rewrite
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I am completely rewriting Cycle, this time with a plot. I'm still working on the ending, so I can't send the whole thing yet, but I would like to make sure the beginning is working. Comments are appreciated. Note: there are no males or females per se, so that's why I'm writing in first person and the parent isn't a mother.

At first, I remembered nothing before my birth; just the warm closeness of the womb. I felt the comforting embrace of warmth and water. There was darkness. Rhythmic, small, internal sounds. Then I felt my parent writhe around me, the womb contracting and expanding with the motion.

The space around me filled with sound: the dying shriek of my wounded parent. Its body broke open then, exposing me to harsh light and air, cold after the waters of the womb.

I spilled out in a rush, feeling the etched and corroded backbone of my parent’s body brush against me as I emerged into the world. The sun was casting bright, lethal rays into an enormous valley.

Everywhere the light was, I saw death.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of writing, this is *very* solid (though I the adjective structure could get weary after several pages). The only issue I have is with the light because it makes no sense whatsoever.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean about the light? On this world, the sun's radiation is very strong and corrosive; it kills a generation every dawn. Please clarify the adjective comment, I'm a little confused. Thanks!
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the comment about the last line.

But I could take a read. Keep it on the short side--3000 words or as close to that as possible without cutting in the middle of something important.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

The opening might make sense if you read the previous thread I posted, titled Short story-Cycle. This is a completely new retelling of the concept, though I have expanded it greatly. I've only got about 1,500 words so far, though I estimate 7,000 to 10,000 at least for the final version.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Phanto, unless I'm wrong, is referring to the last line. It's confusing. I can't make sense of what it means.
Where would the light NOT be?

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Ah, gotcha! How about this instead:

"Everywhere I looked, I saw death."

djvdakota
Member # 2002

I shouldn't HAVE to read the previous post to make sense out of this. I don't remember the previous post. I don't know if I even responded to it. I was just taking it at face value, which is what a publisher would do.

As is, it's solid, as Phanto said. Very nice. Intriguing. I wanna read more. So send it on over.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Geez, this can get confusing when we're both online at the same time. You have to go back three posts to find the question to the answer to the question....

LOL.

Anyway, I prefer to avoid the word 'looked.' Maybe just:

"The light shone everywhere on death."

Then, of course, the next line would have to qualify that. Which I'm sure it does.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the "Everywhere the light was, I saw death," to mean that it was only safe in shadows. "The sun was cast bright, lethal rays ..." seems pretty clear.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so much more engaging than the previous version. Keep it up, I think you've hit the mark.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this is much better. I don't mind the first person POV. It sounds like it is working. I would like to read it when you are ready.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warrior Poet
Member # 2139

- posted      Profile for Warrior Poet   Email Warrior Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better! Send on.

But post to hillcresthomeboy@yahoo.com

Excellent!

WP

Posts: 20 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...why doesn't the light kill your character?

How intelligent would a creature need to be in order to be self aware at birth and sophent with a lifespan of a single day (and gestation no longer than that)?

Is there any real point in writing this story in first person?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Survivor:

The species undergoes a metamorphosis at dusk, after mating. The chemical changes of pregnancy make them vulnerable to the sun's rays. It is the only way for the young to be born, they have no birth canals.

The first person POV is kind of what I have to do, because the characters are both male and female. If I wrote in third person I'd have to say things like: "it flew down to the river. The water felt cold on its skin," etc. and I think that would be distracting to the reader. I wrote a couple pages that way and then changed it, at which point it started working much better for me.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Note: I am not ready to send it out yet, I'll post when I want more readers. I was just asking about the tone, tense, etc. of the first thirteen lines.

[This message has been edited by autumnmuse (edited August 21, 2004).]

cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya,

Hope you don't mind me calling the narrator "him" ;-) It's just easier for me that way.

~~just the warm closeness of the womb. I felt the comforting embrace of warmth and water. ~~

"warm closeness" and "comforting embrace" sound similar. Maybe cut or rewrite one? Maybe: "birth; just the comforting embrace of warmth and water."

~~filled with sound~~

Maybe a more descriptive verb than filled? Maybe something to imply the opposite of what he had before while in the womb. Also, would he hear the dying sounds of his parent before he leaves the body? I'd also suggest another sound or two to be added to the dying of the parent, that way it seems to fill the air more.

~~Everywhere the light was, I saw death.~~

Very nice line.

Except for a case or two where it seems like he jumps ahead or jumps back in his description (and order) of his birth, this reads nicely and is already interesting because he can remember his birth.

Hope this helps.

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got around to looking at Hatrack and saw your re-write (the beginning anyway). I like what you've posted. When you finish the rest, please let me know. I'd love to read it.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't find the last line confusing; I expect an explanation to come along sooner or later, which I expect happens in the next few lines. it's actually a pretty good hook.
I unfortunately don't have time right now for a crit, but if in two weeks' time you still need a reader, you can count me in.

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.