Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sailwagon

Author Topic: Sailwagon
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Try to imagine something called a sailwagon used for transportation in desert salt flats, constructed using medieval-ish technology appropriate for a fantasy world. If the word "sailwagon" was all you had to go on and you were aware of the context described above, what sort of picture appears in your mind? What does it look like to you?

The reason I ask is that I'm attempting to guage how many new & strange concepts to introduce in a story without info-dumping, and without forcing the reader to create too many "mental bookmarks" for things which need more explanation later.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited October 28, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see a problem with simply throwing out the term, as long as people are aware of the information that you gave us. Most will probably picture something akin to a sailboat on wheels or skis. As for me, it seems that I have seen a picture of some such contraption, maybe in sketches by Da Vinci or some such. I don't think the things became practical before fiberglass construction, but hey, this is fantasy, right?
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
'Sailwagon' just doesn't roll off the tongue, ya know?

The wagons of the mid 19th century were called "Prairie Schooners" so how about something like "Land Schooner"? Then give a brief description of the way it's wheels sound on the rough ground as it speeds over the salt flats, it's great white sails billowing out like... something or other.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas I do like the term "sailwagon". It immediately caught my attention and had me wondering and imagining what a sailwagon was. Land Schooner just doesn't do it for me.

I too have seen pics of such a contraption, but I'm thinking it was related to gaming. A picture on a module? It's been so many years since I've gamed, though, I cannot recall clearly.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I see it more as a wagon modified to accept sails than a boat modified to accept wheels. The term 'sailwagon' is plenty descriptive of and by itself. I'm not sure you need to tell more, just show it in action.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone for the feedback. I've been researching wagons, and a land schooner looks nothing like a ship (of course). Most interesting and charming are the little sheepherder's wagons, which are like primitive RVs:

http://www.hansenwheel.com/Sheep_Wagon_Photos/

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
My first impression was a one-person mode of transportation. Like the kind of thing you see out in the SanFran bay, where people have to stand and sail.

I am all to familar with overloading the character with new concepts. But one somehow begets the other. If this exist... then that must logically follow... and that... and then I leave the reader scratching off what little hair they have left.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

If any of you want to see the word in context, I posted the first thirteen lines of the chapter. Thanks again for your responses.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
One point to remember if you design such a thing, it will differ from a conventional wagon in the need for a wheelbase sufficient to deal with the tendancy to keel over in a stiff or contrary wind. I also have to give a qualified endorsment to Minister's objection to the practicality of such a vehicle. The worst problem is that without modern tires, the thing will be prone to founder badly, particularly under a heavy load. It wouldn't be a very effective means of transporting heavy loads.

Also consider that deserts with a constant wind tend to have dunes. The wind in a salt flat probably would be too fickle to be really useful.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
An outrigger would probably help with the tendency to keel over, but the foundering could be a challenge. Maybe skiis of some kind would be better than wheels.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
On snow or ice, sure. Pretty much anywhere else, they'd be even worse.

The real problem is that the leeward wheels will necessarily be under a heavier load, making them more prone to foundering. But of course, if the leeward wheels get stuck it is the worst possible thing (even if you're doing something very simple like running before the wind). There is simply no way that you can avoid being capsized in that situation.

If your windward wheels founder, then it isn't so bad, because the wind force on the sail and the momentum of the vehicle will tend to lever them up out of the hole. Also, if you're running across the wind, then the sudden drag will pull you around into the wind, and you'll come about in fairly good order if you keep your head. But it simply won't be the windward wheels that get stuck, it'll almost always be your leeward wheels, and the results are extremely infelicitous.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the term sailwagon.
I got a mental image of a covered wagon type vehicle with the "cover" converted to a sail. The idea captures my imagination.
Folks have mentioned some valid points.
Of course all of those problems mentioned could be dealt with through the use of magic. Right?

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
2 cents worth.

the word wagon, sounds heavy and slow.
the word sail sounds light and fast.

To me a sail wagon sounds like an impractical thing, but if you had, lets say a 'tundra-skiff' or a "prairie-schooner', that would be cool.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 01, 2004).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Castaway
Member # 2201

- posted      Profile for Castaway   Email Castaway         Edit/Delete Post 
Sailwagon worked for me. The image it creates in my mind is one of a wagon skimming across the salt flats with spinnaker billowing. I think it is great.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the term works fine.
A few things might need to happen for this to work well. You would have to lower the center of gravity and extend the wheel-base. This would prevent tipping in most cases. Articulated steering would be a great help with changing wind directions and catching the wind.

I am picturing a low and wide "wagon". Something that would have evolved over the years as "technology" expanded. And a military angle would be a great thing to build upon. I also see personal versions that are sleeker and faster.

As far as weight and balast, using this in a fantasy setting, allows you alot of lee-way. They could have trees on this planet that the would is as light as balsa, but strong like an oak. The possiblities are always greater in a fantasy setting.

Just a few ideas I had, and you kinda asked...

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "sailwagon" is fine. However, my thought is that schooner and wagon denote different sizes of transpots in my mind. I would expect a sailwagon to hold 12 people max and travel short distances, whereas a schooner is larger and carries many people on long voyages. That is how I would imagine it.

Dan Simmons used this concept ("windwagon", I think) in his book Hyperion to cross grasslands.

Wouldn't things like wheels or skiis dig into the sand? Maybe it would be better to have a shape more like a ship with a flat bottom so it could skim across the surface (assuming you have sails). But, how do you get lift to go over the dune and not drive straight into it? Hmmmm. You could just make the salt flats flat.

On a side note: if you ever get the chance to go iceboating, it is quite the experience. Wow, do you fly with minimal wind!

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

quote:
Dan Simmons used this concept ("windwagon", I think) in his book Hyperion to cross grasslands.

He does? {expletive deleted! }

Never read it. Even the name sounds too similar. My original name was Salt Sailor, because that's what they haul, but that name gives no indication of appearance.

Maybe I'll call 'em Land Sailors.

Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I don't think it matters that the names are similar. I mean, it makes sense to call it that. Sailwagon is what it is. And much more descriptive than Land Sailors. Here is the description DS gives when he introduces the windwagon:
quote:
...it's sails white squares against a dark plain draining of color. The last light had faded by the time the large ship had tacked close to the low bluff, folded it's main sails, and rolled to a stop.
...The thing was wooden, handcrafted, and huge--curved in the pregnant lines of some seagoing galleon out of Old Earth's ancient history. The single gigantic wheel, set in the center of the curving hull, normally would have been invisible in the two-meter-tall grass, but the Consul could hear the snap of pennants far above and a steady, almost subsonic hum that would be coming from either the ship's interior flywheel or it's massive gyroscopes.

His is a futureistic novel, so hense all the self-powered technology. Never much paid attention to the "single gigantic wheel" was too interested in the story. Anyway, thought you might be interested. Good luck!

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

Thanks. That was very interesting. I checked out the book at Amazon, and when I saw the cover art, I thought, "How does the dang thing go across the field?" The wheel was hidden, silly me. Simmons' craft seems even more improbable than mine!

The most amazing low-tech wind-powered land craft by far have to be Sean McMullen's wind trains in his Greatwinter trilogy, a far-flung future where any electricity is detected by ancient war satellites with AI, that fry the offending device to a crisp. McMullen's wind trains have giant turbines on either side. Strong Australian winds spin the turbines, which engage complex gears to then move the train along the track. For windless sections, they actually pedal.

cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
I pictured a windsurfer (kinda like in this picture: www.angelfire.com/biz/surfsailmenorca/images/catsailing.jpg) , with a light wagon bed. And by the picture in my head, it has runners or maybe wheels. However I pictured it constructed with wood, especially since you said medieval like technology. You said desert, which makes me wonder where they got the wood to make these sailwagons.

Cya,
CC

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.