Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » NaNoWriMo quote question

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo quote question
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
The title of this is "Virus Attached" but I hate putting that in the subject line of anything electronic. This is SF, and the 13 lines here happen about two paragraphs into the story.

I have a specific question about this segment, which I've put below. I would also be interested in a NaNoWriMo buddy who is willing to read a larger section (or the whole thing) and help me brainstorm. Must be willing to read rough draft and not comment on use of language! I don't have anyone out here I can run ideas past and it would help me out a lot.

As always, I appreciate any help that is given.

----

As Huang reached his desk, the cameras on Metta's desktop interface swiveled in his direction. He held still to let her make the I.D. Faster than he could draw a breath, the A.I. knew him and powered up his desktop interface.

"Well, hello sailor." Mae West's voice purred from his desk. Over the interface, Mae West's head appeared and looked him up and down.

"Diamond Lil!" Huang had a weakness for starlets from the days of mono-V. Black & white in particular, and Metta had customized her interface for him before.

But this, this was special.

He grinned at the A.I.'s construct. "How'd ya know I watched her last night?"

"I always keep track of my private dicks."

---

So now that you've read that, here's my question. Some of the lines that Metta says are actual Mae West quotes and some are lines that she extrapolates to sound like West, and some are just her natural rhythm in West's voice. Do I need to distinguish them?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you do. What I see here reads just fine. I wouldn't change it.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christine. Fine as is.

If you need help brainstorming, send me a tid-bit! This sounds interesting.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, don't worry about quotes.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like, rather than quoting or impersonating Mae West, your AI is actually assuming her personality and persona. As such, "she" would consider these to be "her" own words rather than quotes. Under the circumstances, I would not treat them as quotes per se, but treat everything simply as character conversation. I agree with the others that you should let readers know at some point that there are quotes sprinkled throughout, and remind them that this is all in Mae West's voice and inflections from time to time, but otherwise treat it as normal character conversation: No quotes.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
It reads well as it is, but don't say Mae West twice in a row.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Shadowynd: no quotes.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GavinLoftin
Member # 1966

- posted      Profile for GavinLoftin   Email GavinLoftin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing NaNo too. I'll give the whole thing a shot. Email it to me
Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I concurr.

For certain quotes, it would probably be natural for Huang to notice that they were verbatim quotes, particularly if the line was a sort of "in-joke" between him and Metta.

I also think that it would be more natural for Huang to think of this interface as "Metta's perfect Mae West impersonation" rather than "Mae West's head", but that may be simply because the latter sounds kind of Futuramaish

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that an important consideration would be whether or not the character's "own" normal voice has been established. If so, then it should be pretty obvious when it is copying Mae West (who was pretty distinctive). If not, you'll have to be careful to clue in the audience anytime you expect them to catch that she is imitating someone else.

If you still want someone to brainstorm, I'd love to help, so I'll try to take a look.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all, for your comments.

GavinLoftin, if you are doing NaNo too, there is no way you should take time out to look at this. Thanks for the offer though.

Mary

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.