Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Key

Author Topic: The Key
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is a modern fantasy short story - about 7000 words. It is a first draft, so I am looking for three readers who are willing to give me their opinions on the story/characters/plot etc. I am not yet looking for a thorough word by word critique, nor do I want people to comment on the first 13 which I am posting. I know there are flaws

~~~~~~~~~

Sarah looked at the dark house. It had a forbidding air, but she could sense the riches lying in wait inside. She waited as the owner, a tall thin man, locked the gate and then opened the door of his car. Still not moving from her hiding place, she counted to a hundred under her breath. A man in a tuxedo was not likely to be going to the local store but she would not take any chances. Too many others had been caught like that.

Satisfied that the man was not coming back she quickly moved to the gate. She had earlier scouted the place. There was only one alarm system, and that was in the house itself. Some people never learned. Climbing the fence was too easy.

The house itself was more problematic. She had not discovered what type of alarm system was in place and so she had planned to hit and run. The locks on the windows were easy enough to pry open. Window lintels were very conveniently placed, and she was soon at what she hoped was a bedroom window. She knew that when she entered the alarm would go off, but that did not deter her.
~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by yanos (edited November 23, 2004).]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I'll read.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

Thanks, for the readers . I have sent it out to you.
Corpsegrinder
Member # 2251

- posted      Profile for Corpsegrinder   Email Corpsegrinder         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be happy to read it.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

Sorry Corpsegrinder, but I have put this one to pasture for now until I can properly ressurect it and breath some life into. At the moment it smells like a two week corpse. Thanks for the offer though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.