Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Panning For Bigfoot

Author Topic: Panning For Bigfoot
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Take two. I'm taking a break from revamping my WIP novel. And revamping the revamping. At least for a bit.

I've let a few short stories sit. Now, I'm revamping them hopefully up to snuff. Just started this one, and I wanted to see how this opening struck people...
----------------------------------
I do remember a woman named Molly. We had a spat over a map. Oh, yeah. I wanted to go looking for Bigfoot, but she wanted to stay put. Yep. Didn’t listen. But then, that’s why they call me Dense Dan. That and I can’t remember my last name. One thing’s for sure, I’m not the man I used to be.

I got here some time after the Big One. Of course, where here is, I don’t rightly recall. But here is where I pursued my pastime and let me tell you— it stunk. Waves crashed to my left, a sheer cliff stood to my right. I followed the odor up the beach. Then I came to the remains of the seawall. Moss covered the litter of hewn stones. Beyond it, a rocky ravine dug into the cliff.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited January 14, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mujarrah
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for mujarrah   Email mujarrah         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph grabbed me. It says a lot in few words. I got a little lost in the second paragraph, starting with "Waves crashed to my left". Was Dense Dan describing his "pastime"? I had to read it a couple of times. Of course, it might be a function of only having 13 lines.

Liked the intriguing references, 'Big One', and Dense Dan's voice, engaging.

Minor note, the three short sentences in a row in the second paragraph felt a bit choppy.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is an improvement over the last version, Chris. I was puzzled by the same things mujarrah was. I thought he was saying his pasttime stunk (stank?) but apparently the whole area stinks, for some unrevealed reason.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dense Dan" sounded very familiar to me, and then I remembered:

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum11/HTML/000371.html

Not moaning or complaining, just noting the similarity.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
HSO,

Wow. I didn't frequent Hatrack back then, at least not that often. Thus, I had never read the fragment the link points to.

I see the similarity and it's eerily close. Both in the alterative nickname and in voice. The character's name had been Dan in the first version, and yesterday I thought the 'Dense Dan' would be a good angle.

Has this ever happened before to anyone here? I could try for a different name if this is a problem...

As a unrelated similarity, it's interesting that you use HSO for your Username. My initials are CSO.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited January 15, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a problem on my end, Chris. Keep it as is, do not change your story. Only coincidence and I took no offense.

And coincidentally, the title of the story I wrote is the same title for a current short film -- which is unlikely to be anything like my story. These things happen.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
utah1692
Member # 2299

- posted      Profile for utah1692   Email utah1692         Edit/Delete Post 
umm, my name isn't dan, but i am sort of dense, and as i seem to share that similarity with your character i am not convinced that you did not meet me and becomes inspired to write this. thus, if this thing publishes, i fully expect a cut.

lol. the first paragraph was pretty cool, pulled me in. but something in the wording from "...but here is where i pursued my pastime..." completely lost me. you paint a pretty good picture of the place, and good job on that. but is his pastime bigfoot, or did he go surfing for a while and then decide to leave this place to find bigfoot? did he leave molly to get to this place, or did she leave him from here?

i would certainly be willing to read more if you'd send it.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very difficult opening for a number of reasons. One problem has already been noticed a number of times, this is very confusing to anyone that hasn't already read a previous version of the story.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Same as a number of people: first paragraph grabs you, but then you go on to a bewildering tangent in the second paragraph.
I'm afraid that after several re-readings I still don't have a clue what you are talking about (what is Dan's pasttime, for instance?)

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.