Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fantasy short story, untitled

Author Topic: Fantasy short story, untitled
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a short story I'm working on, as yet unfinished. This is the third time I've started it, and I think I've finally chosen the right POV and starting point. I'd like to hear what people think of it.

--Mel

Quentin crouched in the bushes and watched the family load their luggage into the minivan. He had been casing this neighborhood for weeks, and finally someone was leaving on vacation. His tail twitched in anticipation; this house was sure to have a good haul. It was located in the foothills, where homes often sold for over a million dollars. Quentin had found that money tended to rise.

The family finished loading. The father checked the locks while the kids piled into the minivan. Quentin laughed softly to himself. They felt so secure, with their locks and their alarms. Well, he'd show them just how secure they were.

[EDITED to make paragraph breaks more obvious]

[This message has been edited by MCameron (edited March 09, 2005).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice start. It hooked me, and I want to read further.

Several minor nitpicks follow:

quote:
Quentin had found that money tended to rise.

Nice, but it was a bit abrupt. Perhaps you should incorporate this into the previous sentence by appending it after a colon. That way, the connection is more obvious.

quote:
The family finished loading. The father checked the locks while the kids piled into the minivan.

Telling, not showing, and thus it jars with the preceding and following sections.

quote:
Quentin laughed softly to himself. They felt so secure, with their locks and their alarms. Well, he'd show them just how secure they were.

I would read further. Good job.

mm

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to, "Money, like hot air, rises."

or "Money, like hot air and cream, rises to the top."

quote:
Well, he'd show them just how secure they were.

there is something childish in this sentence. I'd cut it out.

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What Mike said, with this addition: "Money tended to rise" -- I don't know what this means.

Yes, it's got a hook! Actually, two, since the burglar has a tail.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ineteresting... I'd keep reading.

I have to disagree with mikemunsil, "The father checked the locks while the kids piled into the minivan." This works fine for me as is, and if you went into a description of how the kids are fighting for the favored seat and how the dad giggles the doorhandle, I'd just get annoyed.

I do agree with Tanglier that, "Well, he'd show them just how secure they were," sounds awkward.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I see what mike is saying. (Hope this is right mike.)

"Telling" version as originally posted:
The father checked the locks while the kids piled into the minivan.

"Showing" would be something like:
He watched the father check the locks as the kids piled into the minivan.

When "showing", a POV character reports on the action. Which would be consistent with the good POV established in this story.
Problem is that in the original post the fact (quoted above) is just "told" to us by the writer, with no real reporting or interpretation from the POV character.

Does that make sense?

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, let me take a whack at this before reading the other comments so you have my full and untarnished first opinion.

Quentin crouched in the bushes and watched the family load their luggage into the minivan. He had been casing this neighborhood for weeks,***I DON'T THINK YOU NEED THIS COMMA*** and finally someone was leaving on vacation. His tail twitched in anticipation; this house was sure to have a good haul. HIS TAIL? THIS KIND OF LOST ME. WHAT IS HE? THE NEIGHBORHOOD, THE MINIVAN, AND THE FAMILY ALL SPELL OUT NORMAL EARTH WEALTHY SUBDIVISION. IS THIS AN ALIEN? I THOUGHT OF A CAT, BUT CATS DON'T USUALLY BURGLARIZE THINGS IN ADULT FICTION. IS THIS YA? It was located in the foothills, where homes often sold for over a million dollars. Quentin had found that money tended to rise. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS SENTENCE MEANS NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I READ IT.

The family finished loading. The father checked the locks while the kids piled into the minivan. Quentin laughed softly to himself. They felt so secure, with their locks and their alarms. Well, he'd show them just how secure they were. I LIKE THIS PARAGRAPH

Overall, if I take out the tail twitching and the one sentence I just didn't understand, I think you've got a good start here. I liked the second paragraph, in particular. It gives me Quentin's attitude, and that's important. I'd just like to understand that darn tail it's driving me nuts.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. I'm quite concerned after reading the other comments. We've got a show vs tell confusion dilemna.

I'm afraid, NewBys, that both of your examples are, in fact, "telling." In a clearly established POV, there is no need to constantly say. John saw this. John heard that. John felt some other doggone thing. It's annoying. What you've described is more akin to something you would do in a less clearly established POV or in omniscient, if the viewer is important.

But both are told.

Showing would be this:

The father checked his list one last time as the children threw extra pillows in the back seat. He nodded, as if satisfied. "I'll lock up," he told his family. "Get in the car."

They piled in, the mother in the front seat and the children in back. "Oh, she pinched me!" said one of the boys as he slammed home the minivan door.

The father shook his head and strode up the front porch to check the locks. He bolted the door and punched in a code on his alarm system. Finally satisfied, he headed back to the minivan to join his family.

MCameron, before you get annoyed, I do NOT intend for you to do this. As a matter of fact, I think it would be utterly ridiculous to show this scene. You have told rather than shown, but you have picked a WONDERFUL moment to choose to do that. Who the heck cares about all that? We've all packed for vacation before, either as parents or children, and we know how it works. Unless it's got something to do with the plot (which I doubt) I'm mostly just showing the difference between telling and showing.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be the odd man out...The tail twitching doesn't bother me at all. It was enough for me to know that he was not human. I was willing to wait to find out what he was.

I'll ditto Christine on the show v. tell discussion.

And I'm the only person who seems to have heard the expression, "Money tends to rise." Which means you should clarify it, of course. sigh. I think some of the confusion is that the house is located in "the foothills" which makes one think of a low place.

Besides that. It's intriguing and I would keep reading.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for your comments. I think I understand why Mike had a problem with "The father checked the locks." From where Quentin is hiding, he wouldn't know that is what the father is doing, it is something he assumes. So that makes my original sentence something of a POV violation. I've changed it to "The father lingered at the front door while the kids piled into the minivan." Then Quentin starts thinking about locks. It doesn't really matter if the father is really checking the locks or not, because Quentin thinks that he is.

The tail is meant to immediately alert the reader that this is not a normal burglery. I guess I'll have to wait until I finish the story and have some people read it to see if it works as is, or if I need to have Quentin thinking about being a cat at the very beginning. It's not meant to be YA. Quentin is an adult male shapeshifter who uses his ability to become a cat to steal things.

I can see a lot of people stumbled over the money rising sentence. Does this make it more understandable: "Quentin had found that money tended to rise. He rarely worked the valley anymore, since it was so much more profitable up here."

MaryRobinette, thanks for pointing out that "the foothills" makes you think of a lower elevation. I've lived in the desert for so long that to me it means higher elevations. Does the reference to the valley make it more clear?

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mouserah
Member # 2432

- posted      Profile for mouserah   Email mouserah         Edit/Delete Post 
i think your rewrite of the money tending to rise sentence works a lot better, that was the only thing that bothered me about it. i thought the part about him having a tail was a good hook, it made me want to find out what sort of tailed creature would be robbing houses (although the phrase cat burgler springs to mind)
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.