Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Kings and Honor

Author Topic: Kings and Honor
Salimasis
Member # 2490

- posted      Profile for Salimasis           Edit/Delete Post 
Since I received such great critique on the opening of book #1....

Here's the opening for book #2, which picks up the story where #1 left off (this is a Tolkein style trilogy). Please be brutally honest with your impressions!
------------------------------------

"How long have you been followed?”

Kaled settled his weight on the ground after dismounting, and turned to Aron. “What makes you think we’ve been followed?” he asked as Rhet took Saber’s reins to lead the stallion to a tether line. Rhet flashed a discerning look between his king and the Mederan prince before leading the stallion away.

“We have seen the flashes of light you and your men were careful to ignore this afternoon.” Aron raised an eyebrow and canted a crosswise look at Kaled, his dark eyes gleaming with understanding. He might not have mentioned such suspicions and evidence to soldiers of untested scruples if he were in Kaled’s position. “My men and I are concerned about this, and about the possible threat to your safety. When did this begin?”

“Within my own borders.” Kaled could not deny what the Mederan troops had seen with their own eyes. “Two of my men have tried to locate the observers and failed. We have no tangible proof that we have been under scrutiny, and there have so far been no other signs that we have been in any danger. Still, the captain has kept a nightly watch rotation as a precaution.”

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It's got a great hook, I think. There were things that made it hard to read. COMMENTS follow, with some [deletion suggestions in brackets].

--

"How long have you been followed?”

Kaled settled his weight on the ground after dismounting, and turned to Aron. “What makes you think we’ve been followed?” he asked as Rhet took Saber’s reins to lead the stallion to a tether line [THE "AS RHET TOOK" BIT TOOK ME AWAY FROM KALED AND ARON AND I HAD TO READ THE SENTENCE AGAIN TO DETERMINE WHO SAID WHAT. YOU'RE CORRECT, BUT IT WAS WORK. IF IT'S IMPORTANT TO SEE RHET, MAYBE PUT HIM IN HIS OWN PARAGRAPH? OR OMIT HIM.]. Rhet flashed a discerning look between his king and the Mederan prince before leading the stallion away. [WHICH ONE'S WHICH? EVEN IF WE'RE SUPPOSED TO HAVE READ VOLUME 1, A REMINDER WOULDN'T HURT.]

“We have seen the flashes of light you and your men were careful to ignore this afternoon.” [THAT'S PRETTY HARSH. HOW DOES ARON KNOW KALED WAS DELIBERATELY IGNORING THIS? WAS HE RIGHT? WHY WOULD KALED DO SUCH A THING?] Aron raised an eyebrow and canted a crosswise look at Kaled, his dark eyes gleaming [with understanding][I SUGGEST OMITTING "WITH UNDERSTANDING" SINCE KALED WOULDN'T KNOW THIS UNLESS HE'S PSYCHIC]. He might not have mentioned such suspicions and evidence to soldiers of untested scruples if he were in Kaled’s position. [OH. WE'RE IN ARON'S POV. BUT THEN HOW DID ARON KNOW HIS OWN EYES WERE GLEAMING? ALSO, SINCE WE STARTED MOSTLY WITH KALED, I THOUGHT HE WAS POV CHARACTER; I SUGGEST ESTABLISHING THIS EARLY] “My men and I are concerned about this, and about the possible threat to your safety. When did this begin?”

“Within my own borders.” Kaled could not deny what the Mederan troops had seen with their own eyes. [FIRST TIME THROUGH, I THOUGHT, WHOA -- HE WAS ASKING _ARON_! BUT NOW I GET THAT HE WAS PLAYING DUMB. BUT I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY.] “Two of my men have tried to locate the observers and failed. [JUST 2? HOW DID THEY TRY? IF IT WAS BY LOOKING, I'D EXPECT MORE. IF BY SCOUTING, YOU COULD SAY, TWO SCOUTS TRIED...] We have no [tangible] proof [that we have been under scrutiny], and there have [so far] been no other signs that we have been in any danger. Still, the captain has kept a nightly watch rotation as a precaution.” [I'M BEGINNING TO WONDER WHY THE KING'S GUARD IS AFRAID OF SOMEONE ELSE! THIS ISN'T A CRITICISM. I'M PROBABLY SUPPOSED TO -- IT MAKES ME EAGER TO FIND OUT.]

[SMALL NOTE, MAY NOT MATTER: KALED IS A RACE FROM DR. WHO THAT GENERATED THE DALEKS (KALED SPELLED BACKWARDS), ONE OF THE IMPORTANT VILLIAN GROUPS IN THAT TV SHOW.]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Housed
Member # 2501

- posted      Profile for Housed   Email Housed         Edit/Delete Post 

WHO: I understand that Kaled is the the King and Aron is the Mederan prince. I do not yet know what role Rhet plays. Someone
isn't saying all he knows or someone isn't listening.

WHAT: There will be trouble. It comes from behind the characters in forms of flashes of light. I'm not sure if Aron says the line "We have seen the flashes of light you and your men were careful to ignore this afternoon," but there is some hidden level of exchange taken place between the king and the prince. Somebody seems to know something and somebody seems to be denying the possibility of that reality.

WHERE & WHEN: Middle earth type of setting. There's not enough here to make me decide if I'm interested or not.

The phrase "Aron raised an eyebrow and canted a crosswise look" struck me as odd and I don't know why. "Canted" means he tilted his head. Doesn't tilting imply "puzzled"? But I think you are trying to say "knowing" look, as in Aron and Kaled know something between themselves that others don't. Raising an eyebrow also signals "knowing". And then you have Rhet flashing discerning looks at the two royals. What is it that he understands? The whole interchange in par 2 is confusing.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
jhust
Member # 2499

- posted      Profile for jhust   Email jhust         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rhet flashed a discerning look between his king and the Mederan prince before leading the stallion away."
This is the first line that bothers me. I'm going on the assumption that we have three people here, but I still don't know who is the King.

"He might not have mentioned such suspicions and evidence to soldiers of untested scruples if he were in Kaled’s position."
Is this saying that Aron understands Kaled's reluctance to reveal info to his troops? To whose soldiers are we referring? What is special about Kaled's position?

My mental picture is that the king Kaled left from somewhere with his troops, and Aron is criticising him for crossing through a dangerous area. Is this correct?

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.