Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "Respite" -- 3600 words

Author Topic: "Respite" -- 3600 words
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really like some people to read the whole thing and get back to me ASAP. This is the story I submitted the first page of for consideration for OSC's bootcamp. He really liked the first page and wanted to see the rest, so I wrote it today. I'd also like to consider submitting this to a contest whose deadline is Monday, so that's why feedback would be nice. I'm pretty happy with the first thirteen, just want readers for the whole thing. Thanks, guys!

The wagon rumbled and crunched over the scupp shells in the sand. Each time Ann and Edward felt one of them crack under the wheels they shuddered. The hatching could begin at any time.

The two of them sat silent and tense on the hard wagon bench, their simple black and white clothing a sharp contrast to the dun of the beach dunes and the purple shells thrusting up through the sand all around them. Ann clutched her swollen belly protectively, though she knew she would not be able to save the babe within if the scupps hatched before the wagon reached the shelter of the cliff caves.

“We left too late,” Edward said. It had become a litany of sorts.

“We’ll make it,” Ann replied, because they had to try.

Edward struck the scaled backs of the placid undru pulling the wagon again. Ann could have told him it would do no good; the beasts were doing the best they could already. He glared at Ann’s belly before quickly looking away. His look cut Ann to the core. He’s wishing I wasn’t here with him, slowing him down. He wishes we had never tried to have this child.

“And if the babe comes early?” He was taking out his helplessness on her.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kazander42
Member # 2505

- posted      Profile for Kazander42   Email Kazander42         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, I like these first 13 very much. I would be happy to read the whole thing, although I am not very experienced at giving good critique, I can give it a try. I truly don't have anything negative to say about the first 13, lets hope it stays that way for the whole thing
Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

This beginning has come a long way from when you first showed it to us! Cool. I'm sorry, though - I'd love to read it but I don't think I could get back to you promptly enough. I'll just have to wait to see it in print, I guess. Good luck!

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 2526

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
This a very good start. It makes me want more. I'll read...please.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good. I'd love to read it -- if I weren't going to be traveling the next few days.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll take the plunge and commit myself. To a full length crit, that is!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all, it is on the way.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I'll try it. Some of the issues that have been mentioned before are still present, but since they're still there I take it you mean to keep them. Doesn't mean I won't comment, but I'll assume you have a reason.

Your POV establishment is still a little slow off the mark, but that's all I'll say for now.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
RetinoBlastoma
Member # 2228

- posted      Profile for RetinoBlastoma   Email RetinoBlastoma         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it my way please.
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
You've loads of offers, but if you need another I'd love to read.

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EverGlowingHaze
Member # 2525

- posted      Profile for EverGlowingHaze   Email EverGlowingHaze         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I don't have time right now to do a full read, but I like the first 13. I was fully engaged while reading them.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Thank you all. I have enough readers at this point.
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to be impolite, but -
Can I pretty please read it anyway. I like the scrupp idea and would love to see what you have done with it.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to give it a read. Not sure how to get it though.
Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

I sent it to you.
Debbborra
Member # 2538

- posted      Profile for Debbborra           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest this:
The wagon rumbled and crunched over the scupp shells in the sand. Each time they felt one of them crack under the wheels they shuddered. The hatching could begin at any time.

Ann and Edward sat silent and tense on the hard wagon bench,

But I can't tell you why, any better than to say that it felt like you rushed in with the names, because the rule is you have to give the names as soon as possible. This could have far more to do with my feelings about rules than your writing though.

Anyway, I'd be happy to read on, if you'd like.

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Actually I really had more than enough readers on this one, though I appreciate the offer.

It has been accepted for publication, though I don't know exactly when it will appear.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.