Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Calvatica

Author Topic: Calvatica
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am rewriting this story and am having a terrible time getting the first 13 to the point where I’m happy with them. Any thoughts, I’m tired of obsessing? Yes, I did post these a long time ago when I was writing the first draft.

Genre: speculative fiction
Calvatica

Father Anna stood motionless in the dark, her hand in the top drawer of the prefect Cardinal’s desk. No one should be in the building tonight, everyone’s required at Mass, she thought, listening to voices murmuring in the hall outside the office.
Once the voices passed and silence returned, Anna’s fingers tightened around a key. Tonight she would find the proof she needed. Tomorrow, she would go to the Camerlengo with more than just figures from her auditing of the Vatican’s accounts. After tonight, she would know exactly what was happening in the catacombs below the Pope’s apartments.
Anna hurried to a door that was to the right and behind the Cardinal’s desk. It was narrow and decorated with a relief of Jonah staring into the toothed mouth of a whale. “God’s will be done,” she said as the key clicked in the lock and the door swung open.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited May 16, 2005).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I would have been hooked without it, but this thing that Anna knows and we don't, I don't like. Tell me! Then I can be in suspense just like Anna is about what she'll find below, rather than frustrated because the author won't tell me what's happening.

Also, I'd like a hint at Anna's emotional state. Fear? Anticipation? Anger?

Suggested [deletions] and ADDITIONS:

[Father] MOTHER Anna stood motionless in the dark, her hand in the top drawer of the prefect Cardinal’s desk. No one should be in the building tonight, everyone’s required at Mass [usually this is lower case], she thought, listening to voices murmuring in the hall outside the office.

Once the voices passed and silence returned, Anna’s fingers tightened around a key. Tonight she would find the proof she needed. Tomorrow, she would go to the Camerlengo with more than just figures from her auditing of the Vatican’s accounts. [WHAT WILL THAT BE? IF SHE KNOWS, I WANT TO KNOW TOO.] After tonight, she would know exactly what was happening in the catacombs below the Pope’s apartments.

Anna hurried to a door that was to the right and behind the Cardinal’s desk. It was narrow and decorated with a relief of Jonah staring into the toothed mouth of a whale. “God’s will be done,” she said as the key clicked in the lock and the door swung open.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with most of what wbriggs said, particularly about the emotional state of the character. The first two words Father Anna let me know immediately that we are in a world that is different from our own. My own guess would be that it is in the future, or a paralell universe.

I think what is taking place here is fine, but I believe there are better ways to describe it. I'd be tempted to start at this point (but with more about what she is feeling, who she is in relation to the situation, why she is determine to expose whatever it is):

Father Anna hurried to a door that was to the right and behind the Cardinal’s desk, but at the sound of voices in the hall outside the office, she froze and her blood ran chill. No one should be in the building tonight, everyone’s required at Mass, she thought.
Once the voices passed and silence returned, Anna’s fingers tightened around a key. Tonight she would find the proof she needed. Tomorrow, she would go to the Camerlengo with more than just figures from her auditing of the Vatican’s accounts. After tonight, she would know exactly what was happening in the catacombs below the Pope’s apartments. The door was narrow and decorated with a relief of Jonah staring into the toothed mouth of a whale. “God’s will be done,” she said as the key clicked in the lock and the door swung open.

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that the second sentence is a bit awkward. Consider revising the order of the information given.

But really, I would preferably start with the voices in the hall. For example (with some liberty, please... this is just an example to get my point across):

Father Anna heard voices in the hall. She stilled in the darkness, her hand in the top drawer of the prefect Cardinal's desk. Her heart pounded violently against her breast; her blood, chilled. Wary, she wondered who was out there, and if her plan would end before it even started.

They should be at Mass, she thought. {add more fearful stuff here... voices come closer and move away, etc....)

Or something like that.

Good luck.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dmfitzgerald
Member # 2570

- posted      Profile for Dmfitzgerald   Email Dmfitzgerald         Edit/Delete Post 
[Deletions] ADDITIONS

Father Anna stood motionless in the dark, her hand in the top drawer of the prefect

Cardinal’s desk. No one should be in the building tonight, everyone’s required at Mass, she thought, listening to voices murmuring in the hall outside the office.
THE VOICES PASSED [Once the voices passed and silence returned], Anna’s fingers tightened around a key. Tonight she would find the proof she needed. Tomorrow, she would go to the Camerlengo with more than just figures from her auditing of the Vatican’s accounts. After tonight, she would know exactly what was happening in the catacombs below the Pope’s apartments.
Anna hurried to a door [ that was to the right and] behind the Cardinal’s desk. It was narrow and decorated with a relief of Jonah staring into the toothed mouth of a whale. “God’s will be done,” she said as SHE CROSSED HERSELF the key clicked in the lock and the door swung open.

just my 2cents

Dmfitzgerald

Posts: 23 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the term "Father Anna" let me know this is an alternate/parallel universe, but my reaction to that is not positive. The terms "Father/Mother" are gender related and pretty deeply engrained concepts. It would be easier to hook into the story if you just made UP a title, or worked with something like priest/bishop, etc. My initial reaction to reading the words "Father Anna" was that this would be a story that doesn't make sense.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

Thanks everyone. It's funny how blind I got after writing these sentences over and over again. I agree it is her emotions that are missing and I think once I add them in, the whole thing will come together quickly. This has helped a great deal.
The "Father" aspect to the story is important and the people who have read the story said that once they got past the first sentence the term did not bother them, in the context of the story.

Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the "Father Anna" gender confusion is annoying. I think I would need a logical explanation for it fairly soon in the story for it to not turn me off. You say it is important to the story, but if I was reading the first page to decide whether to continue, I wouldn't based upon this discrepancy. The rest of the writing would have to be beguiling in order to overlook it.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes -- remember the 3 reader reactions OSC says to pay attention to:
so?
huh?
oh, yeah?

"Father Anna" gives me an "Oh, yeah?" and makes me not believe the story -- that is, I focus on the word choice, and stop thinking, "Anna's in the Pope's chambers preparing to explore the catacombs," and start thinking, "I'm reading a story and the author has an unusual word choice." That is, I've lost my suspension of disbelief, in the first two words!

When I read it (that is, when one of your potential readers was in that crucial first few lines), I thought: the author's trying to shock me. What's really happening is that the Church now ordains women, and although it would be easy enough to call her "Mother Anna" or "Bishop Anna" or something, he thought this would grab me. (If this initial reader impression is wrong, you could correct it then and there. If you don't, you'd better have some killer hook immediately, or you'll lose a reader. And if Anna is sometimes male, say, that would make a great hook!)

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited May 17, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Three Minute Egg
Member # 2523

- posted      Profile for Three Minute Egg   Email Three Minute Egg         Edit/Delete Post 
A small side issue here is, if everyone is supposed to be at Mass, what about Father Anna? Is someone covering for her?
Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
The 'Father Anna' thing didn't really bother me. I suppose I'm used to being given bizarre information up front in SF/F. Nevertheless, if it does turn out to be truly troubling for readers, then consider the following option:

Start with Anna at Mass and have her sneak out. Perhaps someone asks her, "Where are you going, Father?" and Anna internalizes a thought process about being called a "Father"... maybe she really would prefer being called Mother, but the Church has decided that all priests are Fathers, all nuns are Sisters or Mothers. And so on. Just an idea. Then, it's not so shocking to the reader.

But, I hasten to repeat, I wasn't bothered by the reference. It worked for me. Alas, I'm only one reader out of millions...

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

Thank you all for your thoughts on the "Father" issue I will keep it in mind. I do realize there are a number of ways around using the term. Three Minute Egg, that was an excellent question, and one I was hoping the reader would notice, thanks for mentioning it.
Eddy Gemmell
Member # 2581

- posted      Profile for Eddy Gemmell   Email Eddy Gemmell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, maybe I'm a little late with this but here goes.

I know it's been done to death but the 'Father' thing didn't sit well with me and I was curious straight away as to why she was 'motionless'. I would start with the voices and a description of her fear at being found out. Maybe you could add a little context too, voices echoing off the long stone corridoors etc (if the place it made of stone).

I would have her desperately scrabbling for the key - she finds it too easily for something that's clearly important. You could create some suspense by making her search for it a little.

I also thought that you didn't need to say where the door is unless it's relevant and the same goes for the picture. What does the picture mean to Anna? Is it some depiction of her trials to come? or her fears of what she's getting herslef into? I would tell the reader straight out.

Lastly, I felt that using the word 'swung' with regards to the way she opened the door was too confident. 'Eased' maybe, surely she's still anxious about being discovered.

I liked the concept though, church corruption is and has been so rife throughout history that it's an ageless area to exploit.

I hope this doesn't seem too picky.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Eddy Gemmell (edited May 19, 2005).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

Eddy G, Actually I'm still working on these lines so your thoughts aren't too late. and I don't find your suggestions picky. Several of the things you mentioned hadn't been pointed out to me before and I happen to agree with you about them, like the image given by the use of the word "swung". Funny how the first few lines can take so much time when the rest of the rewrite is going quickly.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited May 19, 2005).]

Ryan Brotman
Member # 2360

- posted      Profile for Ryan Brotman   Email Ryan Brotman         Edit/Delete Post 
I have several different suggestions, but most of them depend on how long your piece is.

If the piece is shorter (1000 - 2000 words or so) then I would think about fast forwarding to Father Anna using the key to enter the catacombs or something along those lines and than recap how she got the key in a sentence or two. This way the sense of conflict is immediate. She's already broken the law and stolen an important object from a high ranking official based on her conviction that unsavory things are occuring in the catacombs. That in itself is a powerful statement without having to go into detail about how she snuck into the office.

Besides, the mysteries happening in the catacombs you mention struck me as the most interesting part of your beginning.

If the piece is a longer short story (3000 - 6000 wds)or even a novel length then the opening scene you have is fine. However, I do agree with the others that starting out with the voices in the hall or maybe even the door handle turning and Father Anna needing to find a hiding place for a moment or two pushes the good old conflict button a little better.

[This message has been edited by Ryan Brotman (edited May 19, 2005).]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddy Gemmell
Member # 2581

- posted      Profile for Eddy Gemmell   Email Eddy Gemmell         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on the length issue.

It struck me when making my observations that if I were to write this scene it would be very much longer.

My main thought was about atmosphere I suppose. I imagined a slightly damp, stone building, long passages, the slap of sandles against the wooden/stone floors etc and I wanted to feel this clerics fears. Pitching yourself against an institution like the church would be terrifying, especially from within. That's why I liked the premise so much.

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

At this point the story is 6000 words long. My intention with the first lines is to introduce who the protagonist is, what she is ( a priest), the tip of the conflict and the location ( the Vatican). Personally I want this scene brief because the emotion and action are introduce right away, within in several paragraphs of her entering the passage to the catacombs. I appreciated the comments about the lack of emotional context because this story is as much about internal conflict as it is about external and I do believe the second sentence is troubled. Again thanking you for your thoughts.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.