Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Poem - Touching stones

Author Topic: Poem - Touching stones
jknowlton
Member # 2723

- posted      Profile for jknowlton   Email jknowlton         Edit/Delete Post 
Touching Stones

She slowly walked around the tabernacle
in the mist
thinking
and touching the stones.

Her mind wandered through the mist.
She thought of her ancestor,
who helped build this house of God.

She was not alone here;
this she knew.
As she lightly caressed the stone,
she could feel another hand...

---------------------

He slowly walked around the tabernacle,
touching the stones,

Note from Kathleen: even though cutting this to 13 lines won't help when it comes to saving your electronic rights, the rule is 13 lines.

The Hatrack River Writer's Workshop is not a publisher, of poetry or any other writing.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 14, 2005).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, by posting the entire poem here, you are giving up your first publication rights, electronic publishing rights and probably a few others. As such, if you try to sell it you would only be able to market it as a re-print which pays a whole lot less.

For poetry and flash fiction, only put up the first couple of lines.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
Poetry pays so little that most people simply don't give a care and distribute the poetry freely, it's the fiction they're serious about.

I don't know if this is actually the case this time or not.

As for the poem itself... what exactly do you want? Technobabble about what poetic devices you used etc, or a generally more useful wise reading, which tells you the impact that the poem had or didn't have?

[This message has been edited by dpatridge (edited July 12, 2005).]

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting bit, but it has story potential. It would be interesting to see it "fleshed out" into a story.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexis
Member # 2687

- posted      Profile for Alexis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why you posted this. Do you want a crit?

Speaking of poems, I remember that the Young Writer's forum that used to be at Hatrack had a poem critiquing section.
We have a section for non-fiction, and accept realistic fiction other than scifi and fantasy. It's interesting to me that we don't have an forum for poetry. I guess the field was just narrowed down for us adult writers? Or maybe we used to have one and nobody was interested?

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't get a lot of poetry here. However, every once in a while, people will want some feedback. Because the purpose of F&F is to workshop stories for publication, there are limits on how much you can and should post.

One of the problems with poetry is that it is usually very short. If you post the whole thing you will lose your electronic and first-publication rights. Even if you only post 13 lines, you are likely publishing it enough that a prospective publisher won't look at it or will pay a reduced rate because they look at it as a re-print.

The same thing sort of applies for really short flash fiction.

When soliciting readers for Poetry and short flash fiction, it is a good idea not to post more than the first couple of lines. For Poetry, some people only post the title and ask for readers.

Another thing to consider, by posting an entire poem or even the majority of it here, you are self-publishing which carries certain stigmas in the industry.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this poem. Have to say I agree with the others. I also have to say that I don't feel qualified to comment since I have far less experience critting poems as compared to fiction.

Just wanted to say that I like it.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransom
Member # 2712

- posted      Profile for Ransom   Email Ransom         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, we're not rejecting the poem. I didn't know about the publication rules, either, and I had even thought about slapping one or two of my poems up here.

But don't hesitate to sell it. Find a publisher who will take it, and milk it for all it's worth. Because it's worth a lot.

The story I'm currently writing began with the idea of a man and his descendant going through very similar experiences. It's a strong commentary on life that resonates with a lot of people, and your poem does very, very well in expressing the idea. The free verse fits it very well, and the statement is concise: comfort is available to all.

There is only one thing I would suggest you change: the end is slightly vague in that there's two possibilities of whose hand is touching whose. Either a spiritual connection exists between ancestor and descendant, so that they both feel each other, or else God is touching both. This confusion is caused by the utter similarity of the stanzas in which both feel a hand. If you want the reader to wonder whose hand is touching whose, than you've succeeded, and you need nothing else. But if you want to make it clear, then you should do just a little tweaking to simplify. If the two are touching each others' hands, perhaps you could add some information, like it being the girl's right hand and the guy's left hand that feel someone else. If, on the other hand, God is touching both, maybe you should relax a little on the repitition and give us some differences. Repitition is a wonderful tool, and you use it very well, but just a little more polishing and it can be perfect.

Otherwise, your imagery and your diction are beautiful. I'm touched by this poem, and I enjoy it. After you make changes, if you make any, e-mail them to me (thomas.beard@student.oc.edu); I'm curious to see what you do.

Good luck!

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
bradford
Member # 2708

- posted      Profile for bradford   Email bradford         Edit/Delete Post 
nice thoughts..I would say this is probably not the best place for crits on poetery since it is so personal and we can be sometimes ruthless.(and me only being here for a short short time)
I did get distracted with the stat and mists being used twice in such a short space.
I understand your meaning here and would enjoy reading more and giving my opinon feel free to send me what you want.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.