Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Proofreader(s) Requested: Panning For Bigfoot

Author Topic: Proofreader(s) Requested: Panning For Bigfoot
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to ask this, but I need a good proofreader or so to give this a once through, looking for spelling, puncutation, grammar mistakes, besides the intentional colloquial bent in the narritive and dialog.

No matter how I look it over, I'm blind to it. I see what I meant, instead of what I've typed. And the more I read it, the more sick of it I'm getting...

Genre: Soft SF (though some will say fantasy, some horror)
Words: 3518
---------------------------------------------------
I believe you, Mama. I’d like to say that, deep down, I never doubted you. But that ain't true. At least I told folks I believed you, even when it caused me grief. Like the time the Briggs boy cornered me after gym....

He stood six inches above me. “Hey, Danny. Heard your mother went nuts.”

“No, she didn’t,” I said.

“She’s going around saying she saw a Bigfoot,” he said. “That’s nuts if I ever heard it.”

I clenched my fists. “Your mother saw it too.”

He slammed me against a locker. “Are you calling my mom a liar?”

“Are you calling my mom one?”

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a go at it, if you'd like, but I'm not an editor by any stretch. I know what you mean about being blind to flaws in a manuscript once you've been over it a bazillion times.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take it too. I should be able to get it proofread fairly quickly, it's the critiquing process that takes forever.
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see this. If you need another set of eyes, send it over.

I know what you mean about being blind to the errors and getting tired of trying to find them.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I want everyone to know, right now, I have never bullied anyone because his mother believes in Bigfoot. What I actually said was, "Your mother is so hairy, Bigfoot takes pictures of her!"

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited July 18, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought maybe you had given Chris a bad crit and he was exacting his revenge.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I worry about naming sometimes, first and last names, as in: "If I name the character this, and it's every somehow published, than so-and-so will think it's them." When often, no matter what thier name is, it's bound be the first or last of somebody I know...
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.