Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Gone On Vaction (gov)

Author Topic: Gone On Vaction (gov)
mustangs2love
Member # 2738

- posted      Profile for mustangs2love   Email mustangs2love         Edit/Delete Post 
here is my fantasy story, i wrote the start last year and haven't picke dit back up.
Boing, Clang, Dink, the sounds seemed to repeat themselves. Elpin hugged the pillow tighter around her head while in bed. She opened her eyes and realized bright sunlight glared at her.
Swish, swish, swish, clump, clump, and clump.
The broom and dustpan sped along the worn wood floor.
“Why me?” she whispered, slowly pushing a strand of red hair from her face. “The gods are mocking me.”
The sounds went on, madly. Elpin tossed and turned in her feather bed. Still holding the pillow tightly around her head.
“Holy hell and Andrasta. Those bloody brownies are going to send me off the cliff, “ growled Elpin. “What did I do to deserve this?”
Drip, drip, drip, plunk, plunk
“STOP!” Screamed Elpin, jumping out of bed. “All that is Holy, STOP!”

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 2478

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a read.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
You spent a lot of time in your first 13 portraying sounds and the price you pay for doing so is you've not given us a character we care for. I'm mildly curious about the brownies, but spending so much time on sound effects would prevent me from wanting to read on. My suggestion would be to use dialog to convince the reader that there is a lot of noise going on. That way you are developing character while getting the point across.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this line: "Holy hell and Andrasta. Those bloody brownies are going to send me off the cliff." It made me laugh.

But, I have to agree with Elan. Try to cut out some of the noises and replace it with more of the above. You can learn a lot about a character by what comes out of their mouth.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mustangs2love
Member # 2738

- posted      Profile for mustangs2love   Email mustangs2love         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.
If any one intrested i can e-mail the whole story to you.
i know the sounds are off, but it plays on to it once you get passsed the 13 lines,lol
but i am thinking of redoing the start.

Thank you for the sugguestions and I am really take it in.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read. Send it on over.
Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.