Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short Story

Author Topic: Short Story
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
Edited for submission.

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited August 04, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisG
Member # 2761

- posted      Profile for ChrisG   Email ChrisG         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say this....but its boring. Cute, but boring. The opening should GRAB my attention. Instead of starting with a memory of the conversation, how about writing the diologue of the conversation then segwaying (I don't know if that's spelled correctly) into the memory of it?

"Where is it?" (grabs me, I wasn't to know where "what" is. The fact that the reader is even LOOKING at your story means you HAVE them, but beyond the first paragraph, it is YOU who has to KEEP them. After all, watching TV is a hell of a lot easier than reading.
"Excuse me?" said the girl. I can't remember what she looked like, but she had a playful smile.
"My Peach Tree!" I fumed. I was, after all, only 3.
"You have a Peach Tree?" asked the girl, smiling playfully. "Did you check your back pocket?"
"Who would have a peach tree in their pocket!" I was still fussy. "No, I planted a pit in my sand box and watered it and watered it and it hasn't grown."
"Well," said the girl kindly. Red hair, I remember she had red hair. (saying you can't remember what the girl looked like is a ditch, if you ask me and doen't give the reader something about that character to fucus on. I know, the character's only 3, but she could remember a hair color if whe remembers playful smiles.) "Trees son't grow very well in sand, maybe you should try in dirt?"

Anyway, you get the picture, and I hope this helped.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 1688

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
Your opening establishes tone very well and suggests that the narrative voice will be one I'd like to listen to.

Remember that the opening pargraph is a freebie. Use it to establish setting, conflict, etc, as well tone and voice. There's plenty of time to esatblish your universe before you begin that first crucial scene.

I have to disagree with ChrisG's suggestion. Starting a story with dialogue is usually confusing for the reader.

[This message has been edited by DavidGill (edited August 01, 2005).]

Posts: 179 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vatyma
Member # 2749

- posted      Profile for Vatyma   Email Vatyma         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My earliest clear memory (I think) is sitting in a chair on my front porch somewhere in Russia, asking a girl what happened to the peach tree I had planted the night before.

When I first read this sentence I immediately envisioned an old man sitting on a chair in his front porch.

I think a three-year-old would probably sit on the steps or the floor of a porch, and like most toddlers he would probably stand up to speak with the teenage girl. Children usually feel the need to stand up when they want to talk of things that are important to them.

quote:
probably the hardest work a three-year-old can legally do

What do you mean by legally?

Like DavidGill said I think your narrative voice is pleasing, the paragraphs are a little jerky but the story is one I would like to continue reading.

Keep it up!

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Chris. Most of what I see is summary, and for me (and I think others), summary is for the boring parts. Take us there, let us hear the words, see the action, etc., all in the moment.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 1688

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
It ain't summary, it's exposition. It may go on too long here, but if it fits the voice the author is going for, then it's appropriate.
Posts: 179 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with David; I didn't find this boring at all.

The parenthetical asides are a little bit awkward, but somehow seem to fit. I don't know what to tell you about those; it seems to me like they should be smoothed out while still retaining the information, but I don't have any ideas.

I love how the memory is nonspecific, just a collection of details.

I was under the impression that Russia didn't have child labor laws, though.

So, what genre? What length? I'd be curious to know where this is going.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really nit-picky, but you stated that the character's earliest clear memory was sitting on the porch. Then you describe what happened the day before.
So actually the day before was the first clear memory, right?

Maybe I'm "overthinking" again, but maybe you should start from the true first memory, when his father gives him the pit. That way you would avoid summarizing that part.

FYI - Right now, knowing what happened to the peachtree is a lot less important to me then knowing why the father gave it to him with such specific instructions. That's the idea that really hooks me.

[This message has been edited by NewsBys (edited August 02, 2005).]

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bradford
Member # 2708

- posted      Profile for bradford   Email bradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that while it may not be totaly boring I would not continue reading since nothing grabbed me. I did find the question of what exactly was the earlist meroy bother me. On the porch, or the tree planting or his mom giving the seed or hearing his dad tell me how to plant it.

Guess the real thing is...what is this stroy about? We don't know

Posts: 40 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the comments.

The story is a coming of age tale, as many have guess, and yes, it is told by the boy as an old man many years later.

It is a finished work of 120,000 words.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Whether it is a good opening depends on the story that follows. But this opening does leave me with a desire to keep reading, so that's a pretty good thing.

One thing I would suggest. Change the first line a bit so that it isn't entirely contradicted by everything that follows. You call this his earliest clear memory, then describe in some detail a great many things that happen prior to it, in a manner that suggests that these are also memories rather than later inferences.

I think that when you say "earliest clear memory", you mean something else. But I have no idea what you mean.

Still, the story is an interesting one, and the language is clear most of the time. The narrative voice engages well.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
For me to keep reading, I would need a mildly fantastic element to come into the first 13 lines. It doesn't have to be anything major, but just a hint of something strange/unusual.

At any rate, I think what made it interesting for me is the teenage girl's response to the child's question. Most teenagers would take the opportunity to play a trick on the child, but her response is a kind one...

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

He's, like three years old.

"Miners, not minors!"

"You lost me."

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that movie!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I agree with the others that this story starts off rather boring. And yet, for reasons I do not understand, I want to keep reading. I like it, I really do. You have real talent. I would love to see more of the story.

The biggest problem I had with my first read is that I expected this (becuase most everything around here is) to be some sort of SF, and yet nothing SF happens. Is this just regular fiction, or do lots of SF things happen later?

My advice: delete the first six or ten words and come up with a stronger hook for the very first.

Also, why does he say "somewhere in Russia?" Does he now know where he lived as a child?

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

He might not. Maybe his family wasn't Russian. Though the reference to a best friend would seem to indicate otherwise.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.