Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Does this sound like a sci-fi cliché?

Author Topic: Does this sound like a sci-fi cliché?
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you have already read this, possibly more than once . It was my Billy Goats Gruff Re-write from the first Hatrack re-write challenge.

So far I've subbed it out twice and both times have garnered rejections. The more recent rejection (which took nearly the full 3 months) indicated the most likely reason for rejection was that the story was too cliché.

If that is the case, I have an alternate market in mind: http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003471.html .
So does this sound cliché or "done to death"? If you want to read the whole thing, let me know.

----------------
Gruffs' Bluff
Word count: 2400
Genre: Sci-fi, Space Opera (sort of)
----------------

Cecil Blake, the Blade, all around scoundrel and pirate extraordinaire, sat in his observation lounge staring at the binary stars of the 44 (i) Boötis system. Staying close to the stars helped mask the signature of his ship, allowing him and his pirates to ambush science ships and tourist cruisers making runs from the nearby Calton space station. Things had been slow in the last few weeks and the pirates were growing desperate.

“Another day like this and we’ll have to go to Calton for food,” mused the Blade. He hated the idea. Raiding the station was risky at best and suicide at worst. Too many ships, too much fire power.

Not that his ship wasn’t fast or powerful; she could take down a premiere class starship, as long as the energy weapons were fully charged.

-------------

Note: I am NOT looking for general critiques on this. Just opinions about whether it seems too cliché.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
seems too Deep Space Nine for me. Epecially the ship signatures, right out of Star Trek

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited August 02, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 1688

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
It's cliched.

Also, consider get rid of the said-bookism 'mused' and replace it with 'said.'

Posts: 179 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...You want to think about the term "cliche" for a bit. A cliche is something that appears far more often in a given type of fiction than is "realistic" (that's not the dictionary definition, I think the general meaning has something to do with specific phrases).

Another way of thinking of it, when writing SF, is "things I learned from watching Sci-Fi". Like the idea that near a star (or two) would be a good hiding place. Or that you could regularly ambush a single route and make some kind of profit while avoiding being blown to smithereens by any kind of police force (pirates are notoriously vulnerable to Q-ships, after all, which are considered an entirely legitimate tactic against pirates). Or that any futuristic space ship would need food supplies rather than having a bio-recycling plant on board (also necessary to truly recycle air and water). Or that pirates would be likely to have a ship with a top ranking in combat capabilities.

Probably none of these things are outright impossibilities. But having all of them in your opening might set off alarms in an editors mind. Particularly if you never come up with really good explanations for them.

Also, Cecil Blake, the only character we've met thus far, also seems like a cliche. We meet such flamboyant pirates far more frequently in stories than in history, eh? Since he probably isn't the main character of your story anyway, it might be better to not use him as a POV at all.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that when I read "all round scoundrel and pirate extraordinaire", I can't take it remotely seriously, so I'm expecting a humourous story, but nothing in the rest of the piece really indicates that it's going to be funny, so I'm left with wondering and worrying whether the "pirate extraordinaire" is supposed to be taken seriously. If you want it to be space-opera-y (I'm sorry, that's a hideous phrase), then you may actually need to load on more cliches, but make it clear your tongue is in your cheek.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisG
Member # 2761

- posted      Profile for ChrisG   Email ChrisG         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read enough sci-fi anymore, but I recall a LOT of "space pirate" sci-fi in the late 70's and besides, space pirates is pretty done.

[This message has been edited by ChrisG (edited August 03, 2005).]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys! Read the link to the magazine she's thinking of submitting this too.

http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003471.html

The editor is looking for clichés. I think this story might be a good candidate, because, while certain aspects are clichéd Robyn_Hood has breathed some vitality into it by combining it with three Billy Goats Gruff.
So, suggesting that she change the clichéd aspects is counterproductive in this case.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited August 03, 2005).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
That makes all the difference.

I am not sure if this is cliched enough. Space pirates, sure, and the editor says he doesn't just want humor. Good question.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Oh, right, the cliche collection.

Okay, you're fine introducing cliches in the early story, then. But beware, he's looking for cliches that have been given new life. You can start cliche, but you have to justify those cliches by the end.

For that reason, I still recommend cutting Blade, unless the final scene is going to be from his POV and will dramatically redefine him as a character. I'm not definitely implying that you can't use his POV more than that, I'm positing a minimum requirement here. The other things are fine as long as you come up with compelling justifications for them in the story.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the comments so far. I think I'll hold onto this one and sub it out in October to the Cliché thing.

As for Blake the Blade, he is the MC and only POV character.

Survivor
Member # 213

Oh, then...you might get bonus points for breathing new life into the story itself, if the whole thing is from the troll's perspective.
ChrisG
Member # 2761

- posted      Profile for ChrisG   Email ChrisG         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Mag...Forget what I said and start your story in the very TEETH of a swash buckling space pirate raid!

Harrrr....shiver me...er, titanium weld timbers.....harrrr.....

Robot parrots and eyebeam patches are a must!

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, maybe a robot (ninja zombie) monkey, but I'm against the parrot.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Ahem...giggle...er...um...yeah.

Anyways, I don't think I'm going to go out of my way to add in more clichés. So unfortunate as it may seem, no robot ninja zombie monkeys or parrots with laser-beam eye patches.

We'll see about the shivered titanium weld timbers...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.