Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Cats in space?

Author Topic: Cats in space?
kgator
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for kgator   Email kgator         Edit/Delete Post 
"His Greatness has entered the room!"
Dan sighed as he swung his seat around. Most of the felines he worked with were younger and amiable to working with him after their first mental sniff through his memories; (their snickers at what he thought was a rather good sex-life notwithstanding). He wondered if they ever thought any human's life was impressive. Still, to get through space safely and arrive at one's destination and not inside a planet, every ship needed a pilot and a jumper. The announcement made by this jumper's handler told him already that this was not going to be an easy flight.

[This message has been edited by kgator (edited August 12, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by kgator (edited August 12, 2005).]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phrasingsmith
Member # 2773

- posted      Profile for Phrasingsmith   Email Phrasingsmith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Interesting. Perhaps a bit more explanation might help as I'm lost on the sniffing through memories and the getting through space and not a planet bits. I'm guessing that the sniffing memories is an abilities the felines have, perhaps telepathic? And the "getting through space and not a planet" is to mean not arriving inside a planet perhaps? Good Writing!
Posts: 62 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. You immerse us in the world without throwing a lot of unpronounceable, made-up, apostrophe-laden words at us or over explaining. Even the stuff that’s not explained (I agree with Phrasingsmith that eventual explanation is needed on those topics) you get the sense that it will be in due time.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
mm, I'm not engaged. For me, you're trying to cram too many unexplained concepts into the opening - there's Dan and his relationship with the felines, there's the stuff about traveling through space but not planets, there are jumpers and the jumper's handler, and I don't really know what's going on.

It's also expository. Instead of showing me Dan and what he's seeing, you're telling me about "most of the felines" and making generalizatons about what it takes to get through space etc.

The felines are possibly interesting, but I want to see them through Dan's eyes, not read generalizations about them.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Beth on all counts.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
kgator
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for kgator   Email kgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for everyone's feedback...I've made some changes about the space thing. I'm going to write a few more paragraphs to flesh out the characters a bit more, then look at the first paragraph again.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
As with your hurricane fragment, I would love to read more. Let me know if you want someone to read the whole thing when it's ready.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting but a bit confusing. I think that the idea of hyper-space travel being made possible by the native psychic powers of cats is a really fun idea, as is having them be telepathic with such feline...cattyness, I'll call it

But I get the idea that about half the people here think that Dan is a cat himself. And looking at this, I can't really blame them. Still, I like the setup of a really catty cat coming onto this poor guy's ship as his jumper.

You neglected to say what you want out of this thread.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.