Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Pellucere

Author Topic: Pellucere
Carlene
Member # 2745

- posted      Profile for Carlene   Email Carlene         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my revision of my flash from LH (thanks for the great feedback).

Feedback on the first thirteen, and interested readers would be appreciated. Here we go:

Pam stared at the tiny vial; thankful for the small size that shielded her eyes form the intensity of the turquoise liquid, shocked at the credits she was handing over for such a minute amount. The other vials had been almost twice the size.

“Here. No one can see you with this. And they will kill you if you are caught with it. Understand?” The man’s foul breath wafted over Pam and she resisted the urge to shirk away.

“I understand the consequences.” Please, please let this actually be pellucere. Pam didn’t think she could handle the disappointment of another cleverly derived fake. A fake might harm her, although she’d been lucky so far. More importantly, she was running out of time.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay...but you don't have a setting.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
That first sentence is a doozy. You're squashing 3 main things in: she's staring at a bottle; the bottle is small and filled with a bright liquid; and it's shockingly expensive. Break it up into a few sentences and let some air in.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to Survivor's and Beth's comments.

If she's in a dark, creepy alley somewhere buying from a dealer, then consider telling us fairly quickly, especially if "the man with foul breath" is indeed a shady fellow.

And, yeah, that first sentence is huge and might be better served broken up. If you decide to keep it, though, consider moving the semicolon after "liquid" and using a comma where the original semicolon is. That would be more correct usage within your sentence; the semicolon can serve as a replacement for a conjunction (like in this sentence). I admit I'm a semicolon purist...

Overall, good potential hook and a possibility for conflict, which is always nice.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited August 18, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read the whole story if you'd like comments on it.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.