Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Heart's Gift revisited

Author Topic: Heart's Gift revisited
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this beginning a while ago on F&F, and had the story critted here. Since then, I've rewritten most of that story (although the begining remains unchanged). I'm looking for readers. The piece is about 3,400 words long in its current incarnation.

For years we gave the hearts of maidens to the corn-man to awaken him, but on the day I came to him I was no longer untouched by man. The priests were careless; they had checked the previous morning, and did not check again. Their mistake, and mine, for I had made love to a temple soldier on the evening before, out of pique, out of a strange desire to defy them for the last time before they took my innocence away. I was not thinking of the consequences at the time.

They stretched me out on the altar, and cut the bleeding heart from my chest. After they had placed it, still beating, into the corn-man's mouth, they said the healing-spells over me, and I saw his eyes open for the first time.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayn Sedai
Member # 2812

- posted      Profile for Ayn Sedai   Email Ayn Sedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Your third sentence is pretty long, and could easily be cut in two. I'd like to read it.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I must have missed this last time around. I'm surprised, since I try to keep an eye out for your work. This incidentally, is a vastly improved hook from what I used to read on your stories. Definitely grabs me. If you get this to me quickly, I should be able to crit and return it within the next few days.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this one was before you showed up, Minister. (which I only remember because it appeared not long after I showed up, and you showed up after me.)

I would like to read it but will probably not get back to you until the weekend.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
if you don't mind, i'd like to read it
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Thanks, Minister.

I wish I could say this came from critting, but as Beth said, this is an old one, and written before anything I sent you.

(sigh). One day I'll get my beginnings straight (I seem to hover between moderately fascinating to outright boring).

LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooked! I'd love to read the rest.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vatyma
Member # 2749

- posted      Profile for Vatyma   Email Vatyma         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Silver3,

Like Minister, I enjoy reading your work. Although, I'm not sure how helpful I was on the last one I read for you. I'd be willing to look at this one if you still need more readers. I am a little busy, so it may take more than a week this time around. Send it to wolf_dude64@yahoo.com

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
The first sentence caused a bit of confusion for me -- first we're talking about "we" giving hearts to the corn man, then abruptly "I".

How about leaving out the "we" altogether? As in, "For years, the hearts of maidens were given to awaken the corn-man, but on the day I came to him...."

Also -- it almost seems that the corn-man should be capitalized, if it is indeed something to be sacrficed to.

Just my thoughts, of course. This sounds very interesting.

Edit -- Oops, I see you were just seeking readers. Sorry!

[This message has been edited by Varishta (edited August 30, 2005).]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to read it, either this version or the next, whichever you prefer.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

I'm busy rewriting it at the moment, and I think I have enough crits on for the moment. But I definitely will send the rewrite to you.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.