Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Cossacks of the Don (Temp. Title)

Author Topic: Cossacks of the Don (Temp. Title)
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
General feedback on this opening please. Is there a hook? Is anything awkward?

On the southern banks of the river Don twenty Cossack families carved a settlement, inching their border ever further into the realm of the Frog King.

Each autumn the central sietch would send one hundred men to be lead by Gregor, the Don Cossack’s hetman, deep into the savage lands across the river. And each year half the men would return with glorious stories of their fallen comrades for the children, with the promise of a safe home for the women, and a report of the enemy’s forces for Tarasa, the chief hetman.

The children’s eyes would light up when they heard of the wild beasts of the deep and of the grotesque form of the Frog People... __________________________________________

Sorry, I originally posted more than 13 lines, so I deleted a few.

[This message has been edited by Shi Magadan (edited August 31, 2005).]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sietch" isn't a word yet outside of the context of Dune. And ululation is sometimes used as an expression of grief, but it is usually semi-formalized, people who express grief silently do not "silently ululate" in their hearts.

I have lesser issues with the other terms you seem to have gathered from various sources, but it does make your overall setting seem poorly integrated and rather derivative.

I'm not going to hammer your POV, since this is clearly that sort of opening. But it isn't very engaging as it is. It is too much exposition and not enough opening.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor -- I meant to use "Setch" not "sietch," you're right, sietch is used in Dune, but setch (which has a similar meaning to sietch) is used in translations of russian stories that predate Dune.

As far as ululation, well when they are in the river, they are not silent, perhaps I need to make that more evident.

BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Although I think this has potential, it's too impersonal at present to engage me, I'm afraid.

I think more detail would be helpful--show us the river and the people. What do their homes look like? What are they wearing? What is the river like--wide and slow-moving, or narrow and fast? Are the women covering the heads with shawls? The children running forward to greet their fathers, or waiting to be noticed? At the moment, this reads as far too generic for me.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vatyma
Member # 2749

- posted      Profile for Vatyma   Email Vatyma         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
people who express grief silently do not "silently ululate" in their hearts.

People who express grief don't ululate at all, I thought ululating was an expression of joy (or at least it is in the Arab and African countries).

And I agree with BuffySquirrel, the opening is too impersonal, but I liked the last sentence, it grabbed my attention.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
The so called 'impersonal' element to me seems to come across in your attempt to set this up as a fable - or at least the style seems to be leaning in that direction.

Is so, check out Jane Yolen's collection 'Tales of Wonder'. They read as if she has gathered together actual fables and edited them into an anthology, that's how authentic is the voice she has imbued into each of the stories. You could do worse than study the opening of these stories, which immediately capture the reader. The trick is in the voice...

That said, this fragment does contain some really nice images: >... families carved a settlement, inching their border ever further into the realm... < >... each year half the men would return with glorious stories of their fallen comrades for the children, with the promise of a safe home for the women, and a report of the enemy’s forces for Tarasa...<

This has a lot of promise. Definitely keep at it.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll keep at it. I'll be sure to check out "Tales of Wonder," as I am indeed going for that fable feeling. How is my voice missing it? Can someone give me a specific example?

As far as ululation, this is from dictionary.com: To howl, wail, or lament loudly.

Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Shi --

I think I know what they mean about your voice; I tend to open stories the same way. It's the modern version of, "There once lived, in the thrice-ninth tsardom in the thrice-tenth land..."

A lot of readers like to be plunged into the world they're reading about as soon as possible, usually through the eyes of a character.

Another thing you could do is translate some of the words ("fortified camp" for "setch" and so on) and then gradually introduce them into the story. I had no problem with it, but then, I speak Russian.

Would love to see where this goes...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

Thanks Varishta. Yes, you're right about the voice, that is what I want to achieve, and yet not quite, it needs to be somewhat subtle.

Basically, for the time being I'm tired of writing and reading stories that contain the following in the first sentence:

(Name of character) --> (Interesting/Weird/Peculiar Action).

Can anyone give me good examples of a modern fairy tale that starts off with something like "once upon a time?"

Vatyma
Member # 2749

- posted      Profile for Vatyma   Email Vatyma         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As far as ululation, this is from dictionary.com: To howl, wail, or lament loudly.

My wrong

But ululation does also mean:

howl: to howl or wail, in grief or in jubilation
[Early 17th century. < Latin ululare, an
imitation of the sound] Encarta

It's just that were I live the women uluate at weddings, celebrations, and any other moments of jubilation.

By the way, do you want critiquers for the rest of the story?

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Shi, you should be able to find plenty of examples of modern fairy tales in the anthologies edited by Ellen Datlow and Terry Windling, of which one title is RUBY SLIPPERS, GOLDEN TEARS.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
No expert on fables, but I think what is lacking for me is the sense of being addressed by a storyteller.
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

Vatyma, thanks for the offer, but the story is not yet complete.

Kathleen, I'll be sure to check out the anthologies you mentioned.

Thanks everyone.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.