Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » the man on the blue satin cushion.

Author Topic: the man on the blue satin cushion.
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having some trouble with these thirteen lines. Something is just not flowing right. The story is 12,000 words, and I'm revising it at the moment.

His hands reappeared, holding the most beautiful item in Han’ei. It had a carved dragon withering up the blade; the silken hilt composed of desighns of vines and wilting roses; even the handle’s end was carved to appear as a roaring fire—a dagger bestowed by the Emperor himself.

I hoped Onwa would slam the ghastly thing back into its case, close the lid, and holler with laughter “boy I love screwin’ with you people!” But only my imagination would see those images today.

[i]Don't be discouraged, for Onwa is proud[i/]I thought, trying to reassure myself.

I shifted uneasily in my seat. I’m not discouraged about what he is going to do…and that is why I am discouraged.

Closing his eyes, Onwa pointed the blade his direction.

[i]He is ready for this.[i]

Thanks

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Storygiver,

First, a few comments on your word choice: "withering," do you mean the carving of the dragon has the effect of withering the blade itself, or do you mean that the dragon is withering (curmbling, dieing, etc.)? I think you meant more of "slithering?" When you say "bestowed" by the emperor, it conflicts with the first sentence that (someone's) hand reapeared, this does not give me the image of the emperor giving him the blade, but rather of him pulling it out of a box (or some other incasement).

"I’m not discouraged about what he is going to do…and that is why I am discouraged"
--Huh? Perhaps you meant, "...and that is why I am uneasy."

"Closing his eyes, Onwa pointed the blade his direction."

--IN his direction? But even if you include the "in," I still don't know where he's pointing it. At himself? At the POV character? At the Emperor?

Also, there is really no hook in this for me.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Main issue: I'm not hooked. Guy's looking at an object d'art, and a narrator of indeterminate sex thinks it's ugly (I think). No big deal.

What's the interesting thing, the cool thing that will make us love the story? Start there, maybe.

Another issue, easily fixed: changes in tense.

quote:
I hoped Onwa would slam...
Here, we're in past tense. Fine.

quote:
But only my imagination would see those images today.
And here, we shift to the future. This takes me out of the moment to an awareness it's just a story. I'd rather you didn't break the spell.

quote:
I shifted uneasily in my seat.
Back to past.
quote:
I’m not discouraged about what he is going to do…and that is why I am discouraged.
And now, present tense. Put it in past and it's fixed.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited September 16, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
The line of dialog in the 2nd paragraph, and the word "holler" didn't seem stylistically in line with the rest of the excerpt; it's jarring.

and I had the same minor confusions as Shi.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is an opener, is it? If it is, yeah, I'm confused. If it's not, it would be helpful to state (IN BIG CAPITAL LETTERS SO THERE IS NO CONFUSION) in your thread intro that it is a mid-chapter fragment. Also, give us a little of what the story is about, as well as a synopsis of what's happened immediately prior to the segment so we're at least partly up to speed.

That said, I think the thing that gets me is that the POV feels clunky. It's accurate enough, but you have this first person narrator who's talking about the movements of others. It kinda feels like it's shifting between first and third. Make the narrator more apparent, perhaps.

Second, I'm confused as heck over voice. At some points this feels like it's contemporaray, at others it feels like it's some long ago time or place or more formal culture. The "boy I love screwin' with you people!" totally threw me off. It didn't sound like your narrator at all, nor how he might relate what someone else might do/say.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, you need to fix those italics tags. the closing tag should look like this [/i].

There is a lot of unclarity here. First off, you open with an unreferenced possessive pronoun and a weird verb, "reappeared". Notice the difference if you just say, "Onwa lifted his hands back into view, now holding the most beautiful object in Han'ei."

Then say immediately what it is before describing the details. Say how those details are significant, don't just say that they are. I can guess that this dagger means that Onwa has accepted some kind of suicide mission or other (or possibly that he's agreed to sell out the narrator et al). But that's just guessing. I can make up my own stories if it comes to that.

Aside from that, consider that you have very little in the way of setting for this scene, we have a couple of props and a chair. Also, you're dropping us right in the middle of a scene with no context. The diction variation is a notable point, but aside from the mention of an "Emperor", we don't know that it isn't contemporary. Also, even if you fix the tenses to be consistent, this still feels like the dread "running commentary" type of narrator. Not unforgivable, but you really have to work to make that sort of thing work. Usually, it doesn't work anyway so you're just working to overcome the handicap it imposes on the story.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.