Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Treasure of Avan

Author Topic: Treasure of Avan
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a 2000-word fantasy story tentatively titled "The Treasure of Avan." I would welcome comments on either these opening lines or the whole thing.

Thanks!

The bodies on the Ramshead battlefield were still warm when Old Alice came. Healers made the holy sign as she passed. Even the scavengers looting the dead scurried out of Alice’s way, not willing to risk her attention no matter what the reward. “You’ll find plenty to satisfy you later, you vultures,” Alice cackled. “I’m not here for rings and trinkets.”

She picked her way through the bodies, peering into the stunned and disbelieving faces of the dead. The defending Lymen and invading Uskars lay side by side now, their limbs intertwined like lovers. “Both equally worthless to me, poor sods,” Alice muttered.

Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll chk it out for you. So far it looks good. I'm hooked.

The only thing I'll say is that "Alice" kind of threw me. I just pictured a blond girl in a milkmaid's dress following a white rabbit.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of like it. I'll venture to nit-pick one thing, "limbs intertwined like lovers" refers to two bodies, not to an entire battlefield full of bodies. In that context it gave me the image of the bodies sort of being woven together into a single fabric, like army ants making a structure. Say "often clasped in a desperate last embrace, one with the other" or something like that.

I'll read the rest if you like.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I quite liked "limbs intertwined like lovers" but that could just be me.

I think it's really good. The only issue I have is the overuse of the word Alice. The pronoun 'her' could probably be slotted in in a couple of places.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I may take a couple days, but you can send it to me.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have time for a full crit right now, but I like what I see so far. I agree with Survivor about the "lovers" bit -- it gave me the image of two soldiers lying together, rather than two groups of soldiers. I think part of what you are doing is juxtaposing the battlefield conflict with the equality of death -- that there is no separation of one side from the other when it is all over.

Perhaps something like this work:

"...their limbs intertwined in an orgy of death..."

Not sure if that works for you or not.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to read it. wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly I like it. I would like to know if the scavengers are human or animal.

But mostly I want to know, right now, what Alice is looking for. She knows, so I want to know too.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! Rereading it, I see that I didn't specify that they were human scavengers. Should I say "Even the human scavengers" etc, or is there a more subtle way to convey that?
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "Even the people looting the dead..." or "Even those looting..."
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Non-human scavengers don't "loot" the dead, they eat the dead. Using "looting" is fine, it is a fairly specific activity.

On the "limbs entwined like lovers" bit, I'm thinking that it's a battle fought with melee weapons, which means that frequently (though by no means universally) two people both died while grappling with each other. That happens. And in death it would look like an embrace. But I just felt there was a mismatch between "lovers"--of which there should only be two for the image to work--and "defending Lymen and invading Uskars" which implies at least four

Also, I think the "limbs entwined" thing is a bit lazy and cliche. There are certain (soft) fighting techniques that could be thus described, but....

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the "scavengers looting", I had no confusion with the way you have it. Probably for the exact reason Survivor stated: scavenger animals don't loot the dead.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, same comments. I didn't have a problem with the scavengers either, for the same reason.
I'll read if you're not in a hurry for a crit (still no Internet at home, and I'm typing this from my school campus, which is open only on school hours. And during most of these hours I happen to have courses ).

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
This is an enjoyable opening. I can almost see Old Alice hunting among the dead. Maybe ramp up the atmosphere, though--smells? sounds?
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Nah, it would make the old girl seem more sqeamish than she is.
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it! I also like the "entwined lovers" bit. I've never read anything that uses a description quite like it.

However, the name Alice through me. I think that Carrol has a lock-down on that name, and most people automatically think of a blonde girl chasing a rabbit (as was mentioned).

Good so far. I'd turn the page.

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.