Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » going nowhere

Author Topic: going nowhere
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
i need someone to read my story. it's about 800 words in and even i can see it's going nowhere. i need some advice from a real writer so if anyone wants to help me tell me and i'll send it to you. thanks.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would help if you posted the first few lines. Then poeple can know if they'd be any help.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Noctivigant
Member # 2843

- posted      Profile for Noctivigant   Email Noctivigant         Edit/Delete Post 
800 words? I'll read it if you send it my way. I can't guarrantee the 'real writer' part, but maybe I can help.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
ive sent it to noctivigant. and here are the first few lines of the story for whoever wants them.

Pirate Notra Turkana wasn't accustomed to the lonely life his campaign brought to him but hopefully after today others would feel compelled to fight the cause with him. Notra had found out that Maxal Piuntryl, the Commander of the European Union Fleet, was conspiring with the leader of a secret organization based on Mars, holding blackmail over the Vikings and with complete disregard for the European Unions interests. Now if he could present this information to as many people as possible at once, hopefully he would be able to recruit at least one ship worth of Pirates.

ARRRRGGGG ME MATEY!!!!!!

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it my way. I'll see if I can give you any ideas for where to turn next. Plot twists are my specialty. Controlling them and keeping the plot-bunny population down, not so much my thing...
Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

i'm on th wrong computer at the moment but i will snd it to you asap DD. just wondering, what's this idea of long or short sentences being more (suspenseful?) than the other. I was just reading my first thirteen lines from before (it has been changed since in accord with Noctivigants suggestions) and it's quite drainy.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought. You've got quite a bit of information there in those few lines without involving the reader much in the story. Maybe it'd start easier for you if you tried showing that stuff instead of glossing over it.

You could have the pirate doing something lonely, frustrated people do, finds out from a buddy what Maxall's up to, then he and the buddy trying to figure out what to do about it.

I do that. Sometimes it's like the characters will tell me what's gonna happen instead of the other way around and the story is off and running. Of course I haven't read the rest of what you've got there and I could simply be attempting to communicate through my rectal area.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

umm... ewww!
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
I give you the benefit of my profound wisdom and you say "eeeewww"? I am appalled!

(beware irony present)

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.