Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fluid pressure - crits wanted

Author Topic: Fluid pressure - crits wanted
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is a 1000 words. I would like some people to read the whole thing or even crit the first 13 if you want.
~~~~~~
Fluid Pressure
(1000 words)

Peranius flowed along the beach, caressing the sand with his liquid surface. A flicker of movement attracted his attention. He turned to see Larius the scholar flying above him. It was strange to see Larius outside of the forest. The man was so attached to the Trees. Peranius formed himself into a human shape – a memory from his past life – showing Larius that he was willing to receive a visitor. Larius swooped down and settled on the ground in front of him.

“Is there trouble?” Peranius asked.

Larius smiled. “Just the usual arguments from the other Council members. Trek in particular is being stubborn about the Newcomers. He refuses to believe the Trees could be right about this.”

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yanos - I remember this from the Flash Challenge (Quicksilver).

Happy to read it and provide a detailed crit if you want to mail this version.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it so far. I'd be willing to read. Send to wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Just two comments on the first 13...

Juggle up your sentance structures.

Smiled is not an appropriate way to denote speach. (I used it frequently when I was trying damned hard to avoid saying "said" all the time. But the reality is that "said" is fine and while mixing it up with other expressions is good, forcing it always sounds forced. "Said" is one of those words that is mostly invisible in repitition unless the rhythm of the conversation keeps it focused. But people don't smile words out of their mouths, they say things while smiling.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks interesting. I'll try it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Smiled is not an appropriate way to denote speach.

He was not denoting speech.

I remember this as well, yanos, and quite liked it at the time. I don't think I liked the end, when the perspective flipped from these enlightened and evolved spirit-things to the settlers.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

If he is not using smiled as a speech tag, he needs to separate it from the quotation with by including "smiled" in more than a two word sentance. Otherwise it gives the appearance of a poor, cheesy, attempt to tag speech without using "said".

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited October 05, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think Troy's right. There's a period after "smiled," which means there's no way it's a dialog tag.

He smiled, "Hello!" would in fact be a clumsy dialog tag.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

I agree, the punctuation does distinguish it as not actually a tag.
Alnilam
Member # 2914

- posted      Profile for Alnilam           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm Alnilam and new here.

I'be interested in reading the whole thing.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
What jumped out at me was these couple of sentences.

'It was strange to see Larius outside of the forest. The man was so attached to the Trees.'

This really feels to me like it should all be one sentence. You have a lot of similarly constructed sentences and it needs to be broken up a bit.

For ex: 'It was strange to see Larius outside of the forest, considering how attached he was to the Trees."

I'd be willing to read it. ThisProteanSoul@gmail.com

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Eh, each is a complete sentance. Just because you could use a conjunction doesn't mean you must.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Yanos, if you're still looking for readers then I'd be happy to critique it. I just did a 2000 word story (my shortest one by far for many years) only to find out it sucked. So I'm very interested in how people manage to write a complete story at such an incredibly short length!

Your opening intrigues me - only thing I will say, though, is that I find the names Peranius and Larius awkward; they sound like Latin descriptions for throat infections!

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thedeathkillersareback
Member # 2894

- posted      Profile for thedeathkillersareback   Email thedeathkillersareback         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the previous comment about the names. They feel Latin/Greek to me. If that is the feel you're going for then by all means continue, the only issue with going this route is that the Greeks already have an established and world renown mythology. This creates several possiblities depending on the reader:

1. The reader has no previous knowledge of Greek Mythology and everything goes well.

2. The reader relates names to other words that sound Greek, but still knows little of Mythology. This may create confusion if your setting does not match the readers perception of what is Greek.

3 The reader not only relates the name to Latin/Greek, but also possesses at least cursery knowledge of Greek mythology. Then, if your names don't match up with the established mythology, the reader will believe you didn't do your homework before writing your story and they will quit reading.

I also agree with the other comments about mixing up your sentence structure. Other than those two points, the story seems intriguing. You have a good hook with the whole "newcomer" thing going on.

If you can wait until late next week to get my crit back, I'll take a look at the whole thing.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that the use of Greek names works in the story. It isn't really explained, but seems consistent with the background I got.
yanos
Member # 1831

Thanks to those who offered. I've sent and received enough crits for now; enough to realise I've done my usual and produced something that needs expanding.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have these further comments:
* Forming from a liquid: great hook.
* Having a council: yawn. If they've got all these abilities, I'd like to think they have at least some very different politics. I suggest you think of some means of governance (or anarchy?) that is alien. Given the alien nature of our heroes' physical reality, it seems reasonable, and it could really pack a punch.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The "Council" seems to be one and all with the Greek names, if it comes to that. I think that these people's government, or lack of same, is rather alien and works in as much of the story as currently exists.
yanos
Member # 1831

I don't normally respond like this but Monsieur Briggs comment had me interested.

What form of governance would that be? How can you creat a unique form of governance that is alien to humans? I am human. Their abilities as you call it are purely physical and as they used to be human a council is very much a holdup from their past lives. By nature they are pretty anarchic except for certain similar groups which have established their own forms of governance, all of which has little to do with this story, but as I'm still building this world interests me for the future.

I've read many books and none of the "unique forms of governance" in them are truly unique or even alien. I think that it's much harder to do than say and should only be done if it becomes relevant to the story.

Survivor
Member # 213

My milieu has a bunch of people that just happen to agree on stuff most of the time. They don't need a formal government, even though they do have one, at least nominally.

But they never refer to their peculiar agreement by any unusual term.

lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks good. I think the names are okay, and I think the sentances work either joined or seperate, however you feel to do it.

I'd read more.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.