Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short Story - 10

Author Topic: Short Story - 10
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
a

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited October 29, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, last I heard this was a fairly 'family friendly' forum.

Clean it up, please. A simple f*** would do.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

"This forum is for writers age 18 and older"

And I'm sure anyone younger than that won't be able to crack the f*** code. Let's not delude ourselves.

Please reply with something constructive.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED is a lot older than 18, and that's an ugly word.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
The word bored plays a major role in the piece and sets the tone.

I think this is a storykiller of an opening for the following reasons:

It is generally bad to start with dialogue unless it is brilliant. The reader doesn't know anything about the character and doesn't care what they have to say yet, especially when it is something as boring as 'I'm bored.'
So maybe start something like this:

quote:

Valery picks me up at my condo in the Palms. I lay on the back seat as she drives to a park somewhere outside the city and kills the ignition.
'I'm bored.'

Also the 'parks in front of a park' sounds a bit clunky. The act of parking is implied when she kills the ignition so maybe: 'she drives to a park somewhere...'

We don't know what the MC thinks of Valery's pronouncement either, they are blank to it. We don't know the MC's sex either. So it would be good to get some insight into how the MC sees the situation.

Personally, I don't know what this means:

quote:

thinking about doing a line, and open them "

I can't see how someone lying on a back seat could see, or be seen by, the rear vision mirror. I think this is a staging problem, maybe have her lean over the seat as you puts on the lipstick with a practised hand.

What is prozax? Is it prozac? You seem to imply that, like a golf ball in your shoe, it make you limp?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 23, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deckof50
Member # 2476

- posted      Profile for deckof50   Email deckof50         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the opening 3 lines, how does the MC feel about this? I think it'd be better to open with something like "I think Valery understands our relationship beautifully every time she mentions 'I'm bored', or something much better than that ;)

I think the "and open them" could be taken out of the 4th line.

And at the end, I'm not really sure if her question (wanna f***) is unexpected or not. becuse the next line is purely dialog, I don't know if this is a normal thing or not.

And for the record, I dont think words are ugly, I think Ideas are ugly, and even ugly ideas belong in writing.

[This message has been edited by deckof50 (edited October 20, 2005).]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Swimming Bird, I feel compelled to point something out to you. We are guests here, all of us. This is Orson Scott Card's website and is, in many ways, his 'virtual home.' When a person is a guest in someone else's home, it polite to respect the general rules of conduct.

Most people would not walk up to strangers and use the "f" word-- or anything equally crass and offensive--particularly if children were present. But each time we post to this forum, that's what we are doing; leaving a trail of our words behind us for others, young and old, to come across. This forum isn't password protected. Kids younger than 18 read it on a fairly regular basis.

Each time I run across a post with a snide and sarcastic comment that conveys the idea of "I don't care about your rules, screw you, live with it," I find that I like that person less and less. I have no desire to read their posts, and less desire to do crits for them. I suspect I'm not the only one who feels that way.

While no one expects every fragment posted here to consist of puritanical writing, it is not out-of-line to ask for the courtesy of an asterisk-bleep for curse words.

It is a courtesy to our host.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deckof50
Member # 2476

could we please criticise the art instead of the people, thanks.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, when I read "I'm bored" it instantly made me feel bored. I asked myself - Who wants to read about boredom? We are reading to escape it.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

Elan, refer to this: "Please reply with something constructive."
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you asking for constructive or positive?

Constructive means that instead of telling a writer to just get rid of something, you suggest an alternative approach.

Both djvdakota and Elan have suggested alternate approaches.

If you just want people to tell you nice things about your work, maybe you are asking the wrong people.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, with all respect, Kathleen, that SB is mainly referring to the very fact that their work wasn't being given any criticism by that person, constructive or otherwise. Other things were being addressed, when it had already been corrected and dealt with. Therefore, their post was pointless and lecturing for no reason.

For that matter, is there even a set of rules outlawing swear words? I haven't seen any rules at all, that I can find. I can perfectly see why SB thought it'd be O.k., as the forum does say for 18 and up, and usually that automatically means swearing and whatnot are allowed.

Maybe a set of rules could be posted up in the 'Please read here first' forum. It'd help avoid such mistakes in the future.

Back to the writing itself.

I actually like when a one-liner of diaglogue is the opening, but I'm probably completely ignorant as to if that's a good hook or not. I think it also gives a light as to why she's asking her question--is she suggesting it simply because she's bored? Is that the sort of relationship they have? Makes me want to read on and find out.

'and open them' seems awkward somehow. I'd cut it, then just say "I open my eyes to see Valery is looking--" and so on.

It's already been mentioned briefly, but I believe you're looking for prozac. Even if prozax is an offbrand (which really wouldn't surprise me), prozac is a very, even culturally, I'd say, known drug that the audience will be able to identify. Or, of course, you can just say 'medication' or 'anti-depressants.'

I'd like to hear more of what the main character thinks about this. Besides doing a line, that is. What they think of Valery, the situation, or whatever.

Otherwise, I find it rather intriguing. Care to divulge what it's about?

[This message has been edited by ThisProteanSoul (edited October 21, 2005).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Swimming Bird, I like you and suspect you might be a good writer.

But I'm kind of refusing to crit your stuff until you'll let me read whole stories.

Every once in a while I'll poke into one of your threads and remind you that I'm still interested.

No sympathy for the devil, keep that in mind.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

Kathleen, every reply to this thread other than djvdakota's, Elan's and yours, have all dealt with my work and weren't just condescending side-punches veiled as advice toward proper etiquette.

Constructive criticism in this context doesn't refer to my use of swear words or what you deem appropriate in an adult forum. The very idea an "adult word" being out of place is just an oxymoron. And I have no idea how you got the idea I want nice things said about my work. I have posted a number of times to have my work almost torn apart without defending it.

What I want are comments ABOUT my work, not about me or what words I choose to post and how they affect your morals.

Of course, you knew all this already and still chose to reply with conceit. You said you're older than eighteen, act like it.

Everyone else who replied with what urked them about my WORK and not about ME, I thank and note all the comments.

Edit: TL, I suppose I can. I'm just curious, though, why the refusal?

Edit: ThisProteanSoul, it's a 12k short story about the protagonist and Valery, his girlfriend. We, as readers, basically travel with them over the course of one full day, seeing how empty their lives are and how they try to find meaning with sex, drugs, parties, risk taking.

I would give away more but I'm still tuning it, and the full version I intend to mail out to those would like to give it a full crit.

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited October 21, 2005).]

pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Most women, about to pounce a guy, don't put on fresh makeup. The exception would be a well practised seductionist who uses the motion of the lipstick across her lips to entice the observer. But that's not the impression I got. That might have hooked me.

Genre, Length?

Opening with crass but uninspired sex would make me want to toss the magazine in the trash. Harsh, but without a good motivation or a really well written passionate scene, It's not going to hook.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited October 21, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
sb, I consider it very useful to know if something in my story or in my presentation is making it impossible for readers to focus on the story.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

That's true, Beth.

But the people who get offended by the F-word in a piece of adult writing on an adult forum are not the types of people whose opinions I, or anyone should take seriously.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
This forum is for writers age 18 and older

The operative word there is "writers" not readers. It is not an adult forum in the sense that only adults are allowed to log in. It is an open forum that people of all ages may read.

pantros
Member # 3237

Adult people doesn't mean they enjoy, prefer or accept adult entertainment.

Don't mistake our age and maturity for a preference for sexually flavored stories. Blame whoever decided to label xxx and sex entertainment as simply "adult" for causing your confusion.

Of course, being a sometimes writer of hard-core erotica, I wasn't offended at all. But, I wouldn't subject other people to such things without, say, a warning in the subject line.

I will say, that the rest of the opening does not illustrate a level of tale-spinning to allow for an immediate blurting of the F-word.

It can be done, crass sex in the opening scene, but to do it and appeal to the mass adult audience takes a level of skill that, if you possessed, you wouldn't be here posting your hooks. You might be here helping others.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alnilam
Member # 2914

- posted      Profile for Alnilam           Edit/Delete Post 
Nasty piece.

Sad when only bad words call attention to a a story.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

Who are we trying to protect, honestly? What kind of pure-as-snow, innocent little kid out there hasn't heard of the f-word who is both, out of diapers, and old enough to know who Orson Scott Card is?

Would it be safe to assume that people who read this forum are people who might have read Ender's Game? So therefore it's okay to put out the mental image of a kid being so short that he could walk between another kid's legs without touching his nuts, but it's not okay to use a the f-word?

It's such a delusion to assume kids don't know what the f-word means or that it makes the slightest difference to write f***, as if this fools anyone and retains any innocence that would have been lost had the other three letters been spelled out. It's just such an insane notion.

Íf a kid has never been to school, around people, been to sex-ed, or seen an R-rated movie and lived in an Amish neighborhood his entire life, then, yes, he might not know what the F-word means. But then he also wouldn't have Internet access.

The F-word is just an acronym. Would if be any easier for your to stomach if I wrote, "Fornicate Under Consent of the King?" Uh-oh, some little kid might read that and piece the clues together. Now, not only will he know how the F-word is spelt, but also know what it means! Taken alone, all of those words would be suitable for a preschool, but combined and in the form of an acronym they are vile?

Who are we really protecting here by censoring a word that is so universally known and used?

Edit: I find this topic very funny, especially considering no actual sex takes place in the story.

pantros
Member # 3237

"Wanna do it?"

Infinitly more eloquent and every bit as crass and common all at the same time and with so much less discussion.

Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

Right, and if the character spoke like that, I would write it that way.

But as it stands, I'm not going to sacrifice character credibility and the way they really converse by softening the languages for the sake of not offending someone's morales. Those aren't the types of people who would read/like this work, or any work like it, anyway. So why pander to them?

pantros
Member # 3237

What you aren't getting is that the people here are trying to help you create something that more people will want to read. You are limiting yourself to a smaller audience with your language. Very few Editors/Publisher/Agents are going to want to represent or publish something that is too much of a niche within a niche.
The point of this forum is to help you create pieces that you can sell.
If you are just aiming for artistic integrity, well, you don't need anyone's advice. If you want help making your writing better, pay attention. Even when people are insulting your lack of respect, they are giving you something that will help you get published.

Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

And what you aren't getting is that the people who are trying to help me are the ones critiquing my writing, not me.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001622.html
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

That link implies I'm arguing with critiques, rather than with people who have said nothing about my story and are rather bashing the appropriateness of a word as it relates to an adult forum.

pantros
Member # 3237

Go back and read what I wrote in previous posts, there is plenty of critique of the writing.

Even focusing on one word, and why it should or shouldn't be there is a critique.

Even in my last post there are several critical points made. (You can't sell something with the F-word on the first page unless you are looking for a very small niche market (bad pulp fiction). If that's your target market, say so. The rest of us are probably assuming you are trying to publish science fiction or fantasy and thus looking at it with that in mind.

Now, what I'd like to see is a reason to read on to page two. How am I going to invest enough in these characters to care that they have nothing in common outside of sex, drugs and partying? At this point, I'll never know they don't even have sex on page two, or ever in the story for that matter. I gave you ideas for hooking people in my previous posts. Rewrite this using whatever advice you can be convinced to agree with and repost it. If you are going to use the F-word, warn people and self-censor it. Yes, F*** is less offensive than spelling it out even though everyone who reads it knows what you mean. It just takes a little consideration. If you are planning on writing, you should always be considering how your audience will react. That's not to say you shouldn't offend your audience, but when you do, have a good reason.

Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
SB, in the short time I've been here I've admired the easy confidence of the quality of your writing. It reminds me a lot of Bret Eaton Ellis's collection "The Informers" and John Shirley's collection "New Noir".

But that's the thing, 'Bird. Is this SF&F workshop really the right place for you? Surely there are mainstream/literary internet workshops out there who would be able to more readily identify with what it is you're writing, and thus give me far better critiques?

Also, as you do not provide an email address, this is very frustrating to those members who want to read your entire story but can't. I know, I'm one of them! (Residing in the UK I doubt there's much chance of you going to the trouble and expensive of mailing oversea). I think, subconsciously, this is why some of your commentors on this forum may come across as sounding curt and nit-picky about your work. It's not that they don't like it, but that they do like it, only they know they can't read any more of it!

[This message has been edited by Paul-girtbooks (edited October 21, 2005).]

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

I think you may be right, Paul. Maybe there is a place better suited to my style of writing. I guess I've have to try and find it.

But I respect what you've said and I'll e-mail you with my address in case you ever feel like critiquing anything of mine.

That goes for anyone else who is really interested.

TL 601
Member # 2730

quote:
TL, why the refusal?

Because I'm interested in your work.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

Dude, email me. I would like to read your stories and offer helpful critiques, thanks.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Look, they were critting your writing. You're just discounting criticism of that aspect of your writing, but there is no denying that it is an aspect of your story.

I'm more irritated by the way that you post fragments without any regard to the suggestions that KDW made in the description of this forum, really. That isn't criticism of your actual text, though.

I thought the first line of dialogue was presented badly, the attempt to backfill the context in the second paragraph had no clarity or coherence, the third paragraph was meaningless information that didn't engage the POV well, and the last couple of lines are okay from a literary point of view but they don't really make me want to read further.

It doesn't offend me personally when people use the F-word. I think it's funny as hell, and if you know me you know just how funny I think hell is (and yes, I know that makes me an evil, evil person). But I understand and support the efforts of those who wish to make it a rarity in public discourse.

And I can't see how you can say that someone objecting to the way you chose a word that would offend and insult many readers is critiquing you rather than your writing. Your writing is all of you that we have to critique in the first place. Implying otherwise makes you sound...well, I won't say. I'm not the one to talk about people being too sensitive about critiques.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the opening worked very well in developing a sense of world-weariness and aimlessness using show rather than tell. Not sure I would want to read 12k of such dead-end lives, however deftly-handled. Noir is a popular genre, however, and this works well for me.

I didn't like the repetition in "parks in front of a park". I'm always wary of pointing out repetition, as sometimes it is done for effect, and I've just failed to appreciate that. Here it feels a bit sloppy.

I also wondered if Valery wouldn't be looking at the narrator "in" the rear-view rather than "through" it.

I think the narrator's voice is very well done, and I don't believe for a moment that including the word that must not be used renders this virtually unsaleable.

YMMV

[This message has been edited by BuffySquirrel (edited October 21, 2005).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, you're all, even Kathleen, getting insanely sidetracked here.

The whole bashing of SB (for those who did it), began with their using the word and not censoring.

NO ONE made any constructive criticism about it being in the story. Nothing at all was said about that, or suggested that it was a disarming word to audiences, etc. People were just grumping about the use of it at all, which has never been grumped about before, because SB made the mistake of not censoring it at first.

This was quickly resolved.

Why are people still complaining?

I'm disappointed in all of you that are lowering yourselves to bashing SB for no reason, and belittling their use of a simple swear word.

Swear words are not ugly words. They're just like any other word. They can denote powerful emotion from those who rarely use them, or they can give the correct attitude for a character in a story that uses them constantly.

You people, writers, of all people, should be aware of this.

Swimming Bird, I'd enjoy continuing to critique your works in the future, even if you leave this forum. Feel free to e-mail me. Good luck.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The immediate problem of having the word spelled out was resolved by KDW's actions, yes. The problem of SB's reaction to being asked to comply with the agreement governing use of this forum and the suggested manner of using the forum (and I realize I'm the only one that complained about that in particular), was never resolved.

The more general problem of people feeling that KDW should limit her moderation of these forums to editing/deleting posts and simply banning members outright is alive and well, as of the most recent post. So is the problem of people feeling that the task of upholding the standards of discourse on this forum should fall entirely on KDW, and no one else should ever help her.

By the way, the F-word is not an acronym, that's somewhere between an urban legend and a mythic story. The truth is that it's a word meaning, roughly "to hit it hard". It is an ugly word, and an ugly concept, and always has been as far as historians have been able to trace it. People who use that word and yet believe it is an acronym strike me as being rather immature, even if they are over eighteen. Particularly when they argue that it is a word that is entirely appropriate to use in any company of persons over the age of eighteen. Such a person cannot have spent much time in the company of adults.

Or, which is more likely in light of the other arguments offered, such a person is simply making fatuous statements in an attempt to argue an indefensible position.

Like I said, I am perversely amused by most use of the F-word. I don't let my amusement overcome my rational faculties, though. That is the difference between someone that uses logic and one who argues childishly from emotions and platitudes.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

Read back in the thread. SB was told it was a family-friendly forum. They replied it was 18 and up.

That's all. They thought they were in the right at that point, never willfully disobeyed the rules and said they didn't care, as a lot of people are acting like SB did. And when it was edited, they never protested it. They asked why we bother to censor things at all, but they didn't really fight the actual decision. And it all would've been dropped if people hadn't felt it was their duty to keep bringing it up by lecturing SB.

I also say again, we need the rules written up somewhere plain to see. I still can't find something saying this is the rule. If it exists, it's in a different part of the website entirely, when it obviously needs to be in the forum.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey SB,
I commented in good faith and have just now looked in with interest to see if you have posted any improved material. But was disappointed.

Would you mind taking what you consider the good advice that has been given and show us a reworking? That is, of course, if that is what you want. Your initial post does not say what you want so you got a bit of a mixed bag of responses.

This is a cool quote:

quote:

Those bamboozled into believing palpable untruths that are recognized as such by the larger community are likely in time to develop an attitude of truculent resentment and outright paranoia rather than self-esteem.

--Thomas M. Disch, The Dreams Our Stuff Is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 23, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I get people to critique my work partly by not arguing with the critiques. For example, recently someone questioned whether I'd spelled "tetanus" correctly. Another told me not to put the -'s in s--- (although, in that forum, He Who Must Be Obeyed specifically said, no bad words, use -'s). I didn't argue.

I recommend this strategy to others. After all, no one owes us critiques; it's a favor.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deckof50
Member # 2476

I tried to avoid stating my opinion in an area reserved for critiques, but I guess it's too late for that... I'm really amazed that not only did people attack SB, but got so bent out of shape by a word. If a piece of writing offends you, move on to the next one, please. I've read stories on this BB about rape, drugs, etc. None of which offend me, but if they did, I would simply move on instead of trying to make everyone bend to my will. If this were an art group, would we tell people no nudity? Where does it stop? The word spoken by the character is "in character" and so I feel it's acceptable. I agree with ThisProteanSoul that if no naughty words are not to be allowed than this needs to be posted. It's one thing to say don't be knowingly rude to other members, but it's another to say censor your art.
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening is effective, I think, in doing what it attempts to do; to whit, portray unlikeable people with empty existences.

Whether I'd want to read 12k words about unlikeable people with empty existences is very much open to question. It would have to be written very, very well. And I suspect the same is true for a lot of people.

Without wishing to become mired in the f-word discussion, there does seem to be a certain inconsistency. I quote:

quote:
how they try to find meaning with sex, drugs, parties, risk taking.

quote:
I find this topic very funny, especially considering no actual sex takes place in the story.

So the story is about people who try and find meaning through (I'm inferring) casual sex (among other things), but in 12k words, no-one actually HAS any...

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thedeathkillersareback
Member # 2894

- posted      Profile for thedeathkillersareback   Email thedeathkillersareback         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, here's the deal. I agree that the opening line of dialogue does a poor job of drawing the reader, in this case me, into the story. However; my reasoning has nothing to do with the fact that the first line is dialogue and you have to spend the next paragraph or two back setting it. The reason is that the dialogue is not that interesting, which makes it nothing more than everyday conversation. Readers don't like to spend time eyeballing everyday conversation, they want to escape, to be wondered by the writer's slight-of-hand.
Unlike everyday conversation, good dialogue moves the story somehow.

Also, the third paragraph has definate POV issues. How can he see her putting on lipstick that matches her outfit if his eyes are closed? Maybe have him open his eyes and face her when the car has stopped.

While I dislike the vulgarity of the "F***" line, I do find it to be a more valid line of dialogue for the fact that it MOVES the story. The narrator now has to make a choice and being faced with a choice is the basis of conflict.

I do think there are more interesting ways of stating the question that would add to the character instead of just throwing the F-Bomb out there to grab the reader's attention. I actually think that stating the same question in a softer way would provide an interesting contradiction to such a harsh character. Maybe, even though the girl is empty, overtly sexual and a druggie, she has issues with cussing do to her up-bringing. Or perhaps dispite her downward spiral, she is highly intelligent, refuses to use vulgarities and instead uses the word "procreate". As it stands the "F***" sentence moves the story, but doesn't make the characters any more interesting. They seem like cookie-cutter "washouts" to me.

The other issue I have goes back to SB talking about the root of his story. If these characters are apathetic towards life and spend the day trying to fill their empty souls, and from the way you discribed it, this chain of events is an "everyday" sort of thing, then I have one question. Where is the conflict?

[This message has been edited by thedeathkillersareback (edited October 24, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by thedeathkillersareback (edited October 24, 2005).]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm not bent out of shape over the word used, even though it is clearly a violation of the terms of use that SB (and everyone else) agreed to as part of the registration process for this forum (yes, that's the source of the quote).

Okay, technically, I'm not bent out of shape over this at all. But I'm evil. Maybe there are good people who are feeling a little harrassed by all this.

The thing is, all SB had to do was apologize for inconveniencing KDW (and potentially offending others) rather than going all "barracks lawyer" over the response he got. If he had done that, then I would agree that further comment about it would be counterproductive and unjustified.

But he did make snide remarks about having his language criticized and his post edited, and he didn't apologize at all. So Elan's post about the etiquette of using someone else's server space was entirely appropriate. It was in no way over the line of common courtesy to inform someone that he was being unpardonably rude.

SB blew her off.

KDW treated his statement seriously, just for the sake of argument.

And more and more people seem to be of the opinion that KDW shouldn't be asking people here to govern themselves. Well, what is your alternative? Some people seem to feel that it is okay to violate the rules without apology as long as the violation wasn't "willful". What the hell does that even mean?

Just to make this clear, I see several people on this thread that I would have already banned by now if I were the forum administrator (which is why I always recuse myself from that sort of thing). KDW happens to prefer a gentler touch...but a bunch of crybabies are making it clear that her tolerance and patience aren't appreciated.

TL 601
Member # 2730

Swimming Bird is out of line. She Who Must Be Obeyed .... well, she must be obeyed. And that's that.
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think there is POV violation that has not been mentioned. In the second paragraph, she kills the engine, then in the third paragraph he hears the engine cut off.
I agree that one of the two "parks" should be changed to another word.
Also I do think this beginning would work for some readers as long as something happens really soon.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited October 24, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited October 24, 2005).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.