Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A tribute to Boon

Author Topic: A tribute to Boon
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a science fiction adaptation of a true story that hasn't finished yet. A soldier for the Australian Space Fleet has paid a friends way through college. (as you'll see in my first 13 lines.) He's allowed leave fro two weeks once or twice a year for the 6 years that he'll be in it. I'm looking to do it so it's roughly a chapter for each break, with lots of dialogue, and one year instead being just a short letter he sends her in the 4th year when he can't come back. I don;t know if thats enough information to make judgement but I was wondering if you thought that structure would be feasible for short story length. I'd like the chapters to be reasonably long each, say averaging 1500 words, and I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to how to compact it. Anyway, here are my first 13 lines:

It was Tyler Manning’s third night back in Ghirawheen. And now he was sitting at a table at a fancy restaurant with a pretty girl he had all but actually met in over three years. Reece had offered to buy him all he could eat and he wondered how she could afford it.

Back three years ago, a friend had bought him a subscription to a new Science Fiction magazine he wanted so bad but just couldn’t get his hands on. She had refused his offer to pay her back personally, instead saying “you can pay me back by being kind to someone else in the future.” He had never forgotten those words. Not long after, a friend of a friend had visited from America and he had become great friends with her before offering to pay her way through college whilst he was in the Fleet if she promised to study in Ghirawheen.

--------------------------------------------

Note: Ghirawheen is an Australian aboriginal word meaning place of flowers.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 21, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
"This is a science fiction adaptation of a true story that hasn't finished yet"

Great first line.

Can't use "now" in past tense. He was sitting with ...

You change POV in the first 3 sentences. See if you can do it all from a single POV. Keep it third person but we can only see inside his head, not hers.

I think your premise is very promising.

My math shows 5 (6-1) x 2 x 1500 words = 15000 words plus the text of the letter. This puts at the very outside length for a short story. Anyone know of a Flash Fiction Serial Market?

Go with it.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I probably should've mentioned that he doesn't come back the first year because he has the initial training and gets no break. I don't know much about POV. I can see where I went from first person to third and I'm going to change that now, but could you please point out where I went into here head?

Edit: Also, where would I go to try and get serialized flash fiction published?

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited October 21, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
You've started this story in the wrong place. When on the second paragraph of a story you're already going into a flashback, you know something is iffy.

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited October 21, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

I'll do a brief lesson in Third Person Limited Omniscient Point of View (PoV)

This is when you are telling the story by following around the MC (Main Character). We see the world as he sees it and get to see what he thinks. We don't get to see what other people think of him--only what the MC thinks the other people think of him.

You can, if you absolutely have to, change the character that the PoV follows in section breaks or chapter breaks, the bigger the break the better. But it's easier to stick to a single POV throughout. When you change to First Person for the letter, use different formatting to set it apart.

If you do change the PoV character, make sure the readers are made aware of this as quickly as possible.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

This is my rewrite of the first paragraph:

It was Tyler Manning’s third night back in Ghirawheen. He was sitting at a table at a fancy restaurant with a pretty girl he had all but actually met in over three years. Reece had offered to buy him all he could eat and he wondered how she could afford it. So he had refused to order anything before she explained herself.

Is that all in the same PoV? Also, regarding the flashback, I think if you'd like me to send you the next bit (a total of 305 words + a little alternative without the flashback) it may or may not be justified. But if theres a guideline that you should avoid flashbacks in the early part of a story then I've learnt something new which is great!

Thank You All,
Mitch

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited October 21, 2005).]

pantros
Member # 3237

My apologies, I shouldn't take such liberties with your writing, but I see no better way to show you. Keep your first sentence.

Across the table from him sat a pretty girl he had all but actually met over the previous three years. The girl, Reece, had offered to buy him all he could eat. After looking at the double-digit prices on the menu, he wondered how she could afford it. So, he waited, trying to seem more curious than concerned, for her to explain.

This cleans up a minor miswording in the first(second) sentence, avoids the unspecific, overused term 'fancy restaurant' and clarifies that Reece is the girl.

My rewording is by no means the best possible way to do it. I am just illustrating a way to attain the points I mentioned.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited October 21, 2005).]

BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can't use "now" in past tense.

Sure you can.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

awww so no-one wants to read my story? It's at 433 words now. I don't want to put up my first thirteen lines because most of it is pantros' version of my first paragraph so don't ask, but it has changed.
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Even if I were in a position to read complete stories, which I'm not, I certainly wouldn't read incomplete ones. Finish the story, then look for readers .
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a pretty girl he had all but actually met over the previous three years

What does "all but actually met over the previous three years" mean? I have read this over and over and I still can't figure out what you are trying to say.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
His relationship with her had advanced as far as possible without an actual face to face meeting. Of course, this is probably not meant in an entirely literal fashion, since with modern technology (let alone future technology) it is possible for a relationship to go very far indeed without ever meeting face to face.

I will concede that line wasn't a model of clarity, but it was a lot easier to understand than some other things. Nothing here I found impossible to decode as long as Reece is both the "pretty girl" and the "friend of a friend...from America" (though I'm deliberately ignoring the question of whether Reece or the intermediate friend is is the one from America). Still, overall it took enough of an effort to decode that much that I'm not eager to read more.

In other words, I'm with Corky on the clarity problem.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

okay, so heres the new first 13, including pantros' "make-over":

It was Tyler Manning’s third night back in Ghirawheen. Across the table from him sat a pretty girl he had all but actually met over the previous three years. The girl, Reece, had offered to buy him all he could eat. After looking at the double-digit prices on the menu, he wondered how she could afford it. So, he waited, trying to seem more curious than concerned, for her to explain.

He was paying his American friends way though college, and in return she had promised to go to college in Australia and buy him dinner every time he came home. More than anything though, and something he’d never told anyone else, he had done it to make sure she never felt so short on money that she even considered doing sexual favours to earn a little on the side.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So that's what you should critique if your going too, but your critiques thus far have been helpful nonetheless as i'm aiming to probably redo the whole thing. I have a couple of questions about storytelling though, not so much for novels but short stories at least.

1. Do you think I could get away with every single paragraph in my story being centered around dialogue?

2. Do you think a story based completely on a night at a restaurant between two friends arguing can work?

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
"Probably no" on both counts. I'd much rather experience events than read about people talking about events. And why limit yourself to dialog? I'd suggest you have as much as feels right, and no more.

What's the exciting thing in this story -- the reason we'd want to read it? Start there, I think. Based on what you're saying, this evening must happen AFTER all the interesting events, so they can discuss them. I suggest showing us the events instead.

If you do start here . . . I wrote down a possible way to do it. It's got to be wrong, because I don't know your story, but it would be in-the-moment, and it would show conflict. So you could write *your* story, using this in-the-moment stuff.

quote:
"You're really going to pay for all this?" Tyler asked. The menu's prices were in triple digits.

"I said I would, didn't I?" Reece snapped.

For three years he'd paid her tuition, hoping she was serious about leaving behind her old job of turning tricks . . . and here she was, blowing a wad of cash on one evening out. On him. It should have been flattering, but mostly he wondered where she got the money. And how he could ask, without her storming out.

God, she was beautiful.

We're also (still) left with the qeustion of why he's paying her bills, which I believe we should find out ASAP.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited October 23, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mitch,

I worked in Girraween, Perth for a while (a year or so) lived at Waterman, and there is a big national park in Queensland called Girraween where I used to camp and hike as a kid. Is the spelling Ghirawheen a WA thing?

I love the idea of a space training school here. (Joh Bjelke Petersen propose one for FNQ if you are old enough to remember).

The only nit is that 'Tyler' doesn't sound like an Australian name. It would be like calling a character 'Kyle' or something. It sounds American and I wonder whether your character might be a yank?

Having said that, American-sounding names are turning up everywhere right now. HMMM. In two minds.

The last line of the newest version clangs a bit, sounds paternalistic as opposed to paternal.

Would each chapter read as an episode without some kind of linking text/thread to draw it all into a whole? I think the whole episode style would need a lot of backstory, prologue or exposition to make work. But it could work spectacularly well if handled with finesse.

And yes I think a story based on a night's argument can work brilliantly well, but would require a lot description of non-verbal cues. I don't know if you could spin it out to novel-length without massive, perhaps clunky, flashbacks.

Edit:
Oh and while I think of it: Arguments in 3PP tense will tend to make the reader agree with/ see things from the perspective of the Main character unless the MC is a total knob. Does that serve your purpose or help at all? And am I to infer it is a 'tribute to David Boon'?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 23, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2638

You just used a heck of a lot of big words I don't know the meaning of :P. But oh well. So I take it you do live in Girawheen? I never actually checked that one, I got the spelling and the meaning froma political book I've just been reading. Apparently, Dr. J.J.C. Bradfield (the co-designer of the Sydney Harbour Bridge) wanted to dam most the rivers in Queensland to green the dessert for agriculture and grazing land. He wanted to call it Ghirawheen because it meant "place of flowers". In there it's spelt Ghirawheen so I guess it's a Queensland spelling. <grin>

If it's an American name I suppose that's because I was talking to my American friend (whom Reece is based on) and she came up with the name. But most the people I know have AMerican names anyway. I don't know why, except some are named after famous Saints. I don't think it'll matter though, unless you can suggest one? Not Bruce though, I know too many Bruces.

Edit: Okay, I think I'll go with Keith.

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited October 25, 2005).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Keith was my grandpa's name you watch it mate!
Look I could be wrong about the name.

Can I ask if you are setting it in an alternate future Queensland, because that is pretty cool.

I now live in Tasmania, not Queensland. You do live in Perth Western Australia don't you?

What I meant in the last post was that I can see no reason why the premise of your story can't work except that the explanations and description of things that happen between the episodes or chapters would have to be skilfully handled.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 25, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.