Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Compassion

Author Topic: Compassion
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
A short story about 5k. Looking for readers. Feedback on the intro is also appreciated.

José was a miracle child, and he knew it. Not a miracle because Grace Hernandez had been told by a score of doctors that she was unable to bear and then, lo and behold, José. Nor because of his first word ‘Mama’ at two months of age. Even though these things were true, and were the reason that everyone else called him a miracle, José discovered that it was because of the one thing that no one else even suspected.
It was because he remembered the people that disappeared.

Aunt Joy was the first one he noticed, just after his mother had put him to bed for the night. It was like his memory suddenly split along two parallel tracks; one in which she existed up until the time of the split, the other in which she never existed at all.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay....

Apparently I have no takers. Can I just get a general comment on the opening. Good? Bad? Does it hook you at all?

Any help at all would be appreciated. Really.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Give people time to respond!

Nice hook. A few phrasing things:

-leave off the "It was because" on the last line of the first paragraph (or first line of second--not sure if that was supposed to be its own paragraph)

-Some time frame for his first time would be nice.

I'd be interested in reading more, but I really don't have the time right now. Hope you find someone.

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this opening. I'd be happy to read the whole story if you don't mind it taking me about a week to get back to you.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.

My comments so far: we can get to the hook quicker if we don't consider reasons that DON'T apply.

José was a miracle child, and he knew it:
he remembered the people that disappeared.

Aunt Joy was the first one he noticed...

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that you mentioned the reasons everyone says he's a miracle child. It hints that there is a reason he remembers the people who disappear.
Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
You can't post at midnight our time and expect a flurry of responses by 8AM. Keep in mind the time differentials, depending on where folks live.

My comment is about this line:

quote:
It was like his memory suddenly split along two parallel tracks; one in which she existed up until the time of the split, the other in which she never existed at all.

I am gathering we are using Jose as the POV character. I felt like the above statement was too grown-up sounding for a character I am led to believe is just a boy. If he ISN'T a boy, you should make that clear up front. If he IS a boy, I would suggest you use a young boy's way of talking to make that statement.

By the way, I forgot to say: Nice hook. I think you did a good job on it.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited October 28, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

Thanks all. Sorry I was so impatient. What the heck is wrong with me?

Thanks for comments, I'll send to those who said they could read. Really no hurry on the complete crits. Really, I mean it.

As for the POV being that of a young child. I don't come right out and say it right away, but he is a genius, as I thought it would be sort of obvious from him being able to speak at two months. Guess not. As for why I list the reasons for him NOT being a miracle child, I put those in there to show why everyone else thinks he is, thus why he comes to use the term in reference to himself.

This is a time travel story, so I'm sure there are gaping holes in my logic. Time travel is so easy to make a mistake with. Anyway, thanks all.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you say that sometime next week?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty good, maybe in a month
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deckof50
Member # 2476

- posted      Profile for deckof50   Email deckof50         Edit/Delete Post 
I actully really enjoy the first 3 lines. Things start to break down a little (for me anyways) after that

quote:
Even though these things were true, and were the reason that everyone else called him a miracle, José discovered that it was because of the one thing that no one else even suspected.
It was because he remembered the people that disappeared.

I feel that these sentences are too passive and round about. You don't need to say "Even though these things were true" because we assume that they are. It just looses the nice momentum you've been building. The next part is a toss up because I'm assuming this is why everyone else considers him a miracle, though you *might* want to state this. And I would rather the next line be more straight forward, like "The miracle of Jose was that he remembered the people that disappeared." or something straight forward like that

All in all a very intriguing piece. Nice work.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
If Jose is human, he could not speak at two months old, even if he is super-intelligent. He simply won't have enough motor control over his tongue to be able to form words. It might be better to find a more plausible way of demonstrating his genius.
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canawler
Member # 2917

- posted      Profile for Canawler   Email Canawler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intriqued and would like to know about the people who disappeared. I'd be willing to read the story. I'm at jimrada@yahoo.com. Thanks!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

Thanks, Buffysquirrel. I did not know that. I am knee deep in revision as you read this. Also, Canawler, I sent it to you. THanks!

wbriggs, as always you are thorough and expedient. THanks!

Crotalus
Member # 2345

BuffySquirrel, on second thought I might have to disagree with you. Does the word "Mama" require use of the tongue? Sounding it out myself, I think not. So maybe he can say that word at two months. What do you think?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.