Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Case Of Mistaken Identity

Author Topic: A Case Of Mistaken Identity
john d. clark
Member # 2977

- posted      Profile for john d. clark   Email john d. clark         Edit/Delete Post 
A middle aged man travels past a high school each day.
One day he sees a boy in the crosswalk that touches deep
and long forgotten memories of himself as a youth, and a time
when he was sexually ambiguous. The man discovers himself deeply
attracted to the boy and he begins spending more and
more of his time in fantasy about him.

Over some months the middle aged man concludes his decision to marry
his wife of twenty years and raise a family was a mistake.
He decides he is gay and begins to
experiment. After several casual affairs the man realizes
he has been mistaken about his sexuality identity over his life and he
decides to confess this to his wife.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 04, 2005).]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, looks like a synopsis to me, not part of an actual story. So I'm not sure what you're looking for. Can't really critique it as it is.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john d. clark
Member # 2977

- posted      Profile for john d. clark   Email john d. clark         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope! It's a story. Maybe you think it's to short?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
umm hate to be the one to break this to ya, but thats more than 13 lines.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john d. clark
Member # 2977

A middle aged man travels past a high school each day.One day he sees a boy in the crosswalk that touches deep
and long forgotten memories of himself as a youth, and a time when he was sexually ambiguous. The man discovers
himself deeply attracted to the boy and he begins spending more and more of his time in fantasy about him.

Over some months the middle aged man concludes his decision to marry his wife of twenty years and raise a family
was a mistake. He decides he is gay and begins to experiment. After several casual affairs the man realizes
he has been mistaken about his sexuality identity over his life and he decides to confess this to his wife.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 04, 2005).]

john d. clark
Member # 2977

I'd really like to hear something about the story. It's a style of writing called a very
short story there are even competitions and
stuff.When I saw the 13 line requirement I
couldnt resist. (See Hemingway)

BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what I think is that you should go and read the Please Read Here First thread more carefully.

This isn't 13 lines of 12 pt Courier; it's 22.

[This message has been edited by BuffySquirrel (edited November 04, 2005).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

Even in the garble above you should only have:
-------------------
A middle aged man travels past a high school each day.One day he sees a boy in the crosswalk that touches deep and long forgotten memories of himself as a youth, and a time when he was sexually ambiguous. The man discovers himself deeply attracted to the boy and he begins spending more and more of his time in fantasy about him.Over some months the middle aged man concludes his decision to marry his wife of twenty years and raise a family was a mistake. He decides he is gay and begins to experiment. After several casual affairs the man realizes he has been mistaken about his sexuality identity over his life and he decides to confess this to his wife. His wife is devastated and feeling betrayed leaves her husband, and takes the children. The
-----------------
Now as a storty critique. This is far too vague to have any hook. Sorry my protagonist must have a name in the first 13 lines.
You are telling, you should be showing.
I dislike the present tense presentation especially given that the timeframe of the story is not a single moment but spread over a long span of time. The pedophile opening is a bit of a shutdown for my interest.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

Your sentece structure is also horribly repetitive. Try mixing up the phrasing.
john d. clark
Member # 2977

Thanks Buffy, I didnt see that.

Pantros He's not a pedophile, and I guess
that leaves Nabokov out.

pantros
Member # 3237

how is this phrase not pedophiliac?

quote:
The man discovers himself deeply attracted to the boy

john d. clark
Member # 2977

Pantros, I'd be interested by what you ment
in your last post. Could you elaborate?

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not impressed, beginning with your lack of adherence to the guidelines for this forum. I won't critique anyone who won't take the effort to read the FAQ before posting, or chooses to disregard it.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

The man looks at someone whom he considers to be a "boy" and has sexual fantasies about him. This is pedophilia.

Had he described the "boy" as "young man" it would not be. We would assume the younger male was 18ish. Still young, but not distinctly pedophilia.

You do need to alter your title to include (PG-13) for adult material and shorten your text to 13 lines as it would be in courier 12pt with 1" margins.

you can edit your posts.

john d. clark
Member # 2977

Pantros, you sort of took the bate.

A) It's a high school. The girl (its really
a girl Pantros) may actually be at the age of
concent. You read between the lines. Exactly.

B) What someone mistakenly believes and the
truth are often two very different things. As
my poor nameless character finds out much to
late.

john d. clark
Member # 2977

Elan, you are harsh. I did try. So, your
not impressed. Ok...

Is this a forum where writers read evaluate
and try and help other writers, or just another
place where mean folks come to bash each other?

pantros
Member # 3237

good now go back and make this a story instead of the outline/summary that it is.

The pedophilia aspect does not make it unpublishable or even untouchable. It just makes it inappropriate for this forum whether the pedophilia is certain or not. You missed my point when I mentioned that you have an adult character who thinks of a "boy" as a sexual object. Whether the object of his affection is really a minor or not is not relevant as long as the protagonist sees him as a minor (the term "boy".)

This would make a good short story, but your presentation is not a short story. I am trying very hard not to call it a very bad short story. Your plot is a good one. But you need to show us the steps not tell us that they happen. Your form is far too condensed. You need to elaborate and show us how this transpires. Can I say that again or did you get it this time?

Next time you post, please have read the forum rules and follow them.

It's not me that isn't reading between the lines. I see what you are trying to do. You are just failing in your presentation and flavoring. You are also failing to show respect for anyone who partakes in this forum by not reading the guidelines before posting.

quote:
A) It's a high school. The girl (its really
a girl Pantros) may actually be at the age of
concent. You read between the lines. Exactly.

And where did I comment on the gender sexuality? Girl or boy both denote minor. Since your gender realization didn't occur in the first 13 lines, I wouldn't be commenting on that aspect.

EDIT: ok, I don't think that the subject matter neccesarily makes the piece inappropriate for the forum, but for me as a reader, I would read no further after the pedophilia aspect comes out.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited November 04, 2005).]

john d. clark
Member # 2977

Pantros, first you dont even seem certain of
the suitability of my subject matter for this
forum. So I am not sure what you do know other
than that one of my characters "thoughts"
qualified as socially unacceptable to you. (Not even
what really took place in the story) For your
morality? Well, that's critical all right.

Then you seem to like my story's plot but not
my presentation. But you really dont offer any
alternative. Heck, it's only 13 lines. Why dont
you rewrite it for me show me how you would
handle it.

pantros
Member # 3237

were it no nanowrimo, i would.

does it upset my morality? Pedophilia is an evil. Yes.

And there is absolutly no question whether this is pedophilia. Your character feels attraction for someone he thinks of as a minor. That is pedophilia.

Either that or you just pick your words stupidly and instead of "boy" or "young girl" you should have said "young man" and "young woman".

As to whether I have offered suggestions, that's not being critical, thats doing your work for you. I did, certainly, tell you what you needed to change to make this a story and even how to avoid the pedophilia aspect. You are just being defensive and argumentative. Make the changes you think you need to after seeing the critical posts here and repost your first 13 lines and ask for people to volunteer to read your whole story.

john d. clark
Member # 2977

Pantros,

"Pedophilia is an evil", well that says alot
about you sir. See, I am willing to admit that
a man can be attracted to a young woman society
does not consider an adult, and that is a very
natural thing considering the way nature works.
I also recognize how important is is for social
boundarys to be placed so that young adults
can be nurtured into productive members of
society.

And thanks for calling me stupid. It just says
one more thing about the kind of individual you are.

"As to whether I have offered suggestions, that's not being critical, thats doing your work for you." Not only have you forgotten to elaborate your suggestions. It is one heck
of a nasty sentnce. Me thinks my brave doggie could do better.

Good day

pantros
Member # 3237

okay, backing off the concept of pedophilia and philosophies...

Your main plot is terribly flawed. Whether the student who your protagonist thought was male was actually male or not, the person in his mind that he was attracted to was male. So your protagonist was gay or at least bisexual.

I studied sexual psychology for years. I'm not a doctor or planning on going for the PHD, but I know the psychology of attraction very well.

Your protagonist is attracted to someone he percieves as male. You didn't say your protagonist was attracted to someone with dark hair and dark eys and broad shoulders, so these were not the attractive features, you said 'boy' meaning that the attractive feature was the gender.

There is no "OMG I'm not gay" realization to be had. If the guy was exploring his sexuality with other men, the marriage was already destroyed and needed to be rebuilt or abandoned.

john d. clark
Member # 2977

Pantros, I have suceeded beyond my dreams.
I got you to _think_ about what I wrote.
You dont have to like my presentation.
(Heck I wrote an entire story once in second
person). My proff gave me an "A" after admonishing
me for what I had done. I guess it was provoking er something.
Please think more!!!

john d. clark
Member # 2977

BTW, I dont interpret my stuff I just write it.

"One day he sees a boy in the crosswalk that touches deep
and long forgotten memories of himself as a youth, and a time
when he was sexually ambiguous."

"I sort of touched a nerve with ya there." "But notice
The kid reminds him of himself," and long forgotten
memories. "narcissism", and then those creepy
comments abount fantasy. The guy is messed
up! Then he trashes his life only to realize
it was based on a mistake. Need I point out the
double entente.

Also thanks for not being a basher

pantros
Member # 3237

Well, we got hung up on the ethics of pedophilia.

You have the ability to create a good storyline.

However, the point of this forum is to help people make their work publishable, which your story is not. I never recieved anything less than an 'A' on any of the hundreds of written pieces of composition(fiction or essay) I turned in during my nine years of college. Still, nothing I wrote then would be publishable.

To make your story publishable, you would have to:

1)show us the story in detail. Rather than saying a middle aged man walks past a high school on the way to work everyday, start with a scene of Joe Miller walking down the sidewalk when his wandering gaze falls on a student. Describe Joe's reaction, describe the student. Describe the fantasies and how they disrupt his life. describe how he finds his other men. Describe the dates and interaction with them (avoid bedroom scenes) as they are not in the genre you are writing. Etc.

2)Tell the story in past tense. If you want an editor/publisher to read it you would either have to have written in a traditionally successful style or be a recognizable enough name that the editor will read your alternative styled writing.

This particular piece does not happen now, its happens over the course of several weeks or months. Present tense is inappropriate.

3)Name your characters. Unless you are looking to publish in a very artsy low distribution publication, nameless characters will not sell your story. Chances are, unless you are previously published, no one will read your story without named characters.

4)Study your subject matter. Do research.

5)Juggle your sentence structures.

6)Just because Hemingway could use 'and' four times in a sentence doesn't mean you can.

Okay, i just got the rest of your story. You are trying to say that the main character is gay but that the triggering event that caused him to realize this was just an ironic misunderstanding. I repeal my previous statment about the premise being flawed. I still think you should carefully skip around the pedophilia, perhaps by making it a college instead of a high school.
Pedophilia, whether you think its okay to fantasize about minor's or not, will not help you get this story published.

If it were a fantasy genre story in a society where people were considered adults at 14, this would not be pedophilia. It's a fine line, but not one you should be dancing along while trying to get your first story published.

john d. clark
Member # 2977

Pantros, wow! that's alot of thinking, and
I thank you out loud for your thoughtfullness.
But you should know that while I would love
to be published I will not change myself to
do it. I sure an NOT Hemingway. But I sure
am not going to compromise myself either.

One other thought. I dont think my character
is a gay man. And it would be really nice to have
a gay man validate that. This guy is more of
a _kind_ of individual who reaching middle age
makes a very foolish choice based on nostalgia.
My character could have just as easily given
up his family (my most valuable possession) to run off with a young girl. I just wanted the twist, and to do something different with
a well understood story line. And of course,
do it in 13 lines. Which I did not know had to be 12 point. Because I did not completely
read the FAQ. Now, was that 80 col or 120
kiddo? ;-)

pantros
Member # 3237

"after several casual affairs with men"

If he weren't gay, there would have been only one unless he decided that his lack of interest in that one had been a fluke so he tried again, and again, etc...

to get this point across you simply add the word 'disastrous' between 'several' and 'casual'.

You also need to make it clear that when he comes clean to his wife that he is apologizing for his misdeeds and not coming out of the closet to her.

If he's not gay, his focus at his initial attraction needs to be on something like the way the student walked or the curve of the students nose, something focusing not on the gender. At that point your protagonist can misunderstand his own feelings and miscontrue his attraction for that one student as homosexual.

And without sounding to be mean, if you are not willing to change what you write based on advice given here, you don't belong here. If you think you are just here to show off your 'A' paper, then you misunderstand the purpose of this forum. If what you have is perfect in your eyes, the proper place to show it off would be a literary agent or a publisher.

pantros
Member # 3237

As I mentioned earlier, the 13 lines is 12pt Courier with 1" margins. That would be standard 8 1/2 x 11 paper.(which I didn't mention earlier)

john d. clark
Member # 2977

Pantrose, All I ever said was "I would not change
things to get published." I am not ignoring
you. If I wanted to do that there is a button for it.
You do worry about my character alot though,
if he changes it cant be in thirteen lines.
I have much better things to explore given more
page space.
It's not about if he's gay or not, it's about
giving up something you should charish infavor
of something nostalgic. A lot of kids are sexually ambiguous as teens. They find their way.
Which ever way that is if it's good. You
shouldn't give it up. Maybe I can get that
in there more. But you've already got me taken stuff
out so the mcguffin can have "broad shoulders".

john d. clark
Member # 2977

A middle aged man traveled past a high school.He saw a boy in the walk
that touched a forgotten memory of himself as a youth, and a time
when he was sexually ambiguous. He became deeply self absorbed in fantasy.

Over some months he concluded his decision to marry his wife of twenty
years and raise a family was mistaken. He decided he was gay and began
experimenting. After several affairs he wanted to change his sexuality
identity and he decided to confess to his wife. His wife was devastated
and feeling betrayed took the children and left. He found life with out
his family intolerably lonely, but consoled himself over his decision
because he said felt more comfortable with his new sexual identity.

In a chance encounter one day he came face to face with the boy.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 05, 2005).]

john d. clark
Member # 2977

A middle aged man traveled past a high school.He saw a boy in the walk
that touched a forgotten memory of himself as a youth, and a time
when he was sexually ambiguous. He became deeply self absorbed in fantasy.
Over some months he concluded his decision to marry his wife of twenty
years and raise a family was mistaken. He decided he was gay and began
experimenting. After several affairs he wanted to change his sexuality
identity and he decided to confess to his wife. His wife was devastated
and feeling betrayed took the children and left. He found life with out
his family intolerably lonely, but consoled himself over his decision
because he said felt more comfortable with his new sexual identity.
In a chance encounter one day he came face to face with the boy.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 05, 2005).]

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Clark, our common experience here shows: it is not useful to argue with critiques (even if they're completely wrong). It makes others less willing to offer any. When I get a critique I think is completely off base, my response is, "Thanks!"

"But you should know that while I would love
to be published I will not change myself to
do it.": I do hope you don't mean that -- because if you aren't willing to change what you do, what I'm about to do won't make any difference! I'll risk it.

Now, here are my opinions.
* Name your character
* Take us to a specific place and time. Summary isn't story; readers want to be in the moment. So A middle aged man traveled past a high school. might become something like It was October, midmorning, and John Smith was walking past Brookville High School.
* I get that you want to collapse the story into a few lines. Interesting. I don't think you can do it effectively with this one, because the events you're describing don't take place at one moment, but over months or years -- so you'll need multiple scenes. I suggest a regular-length story.
* Good luck!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
"My character could have just as easily given
up his family (my most valuable possession) to run off with a young girl. I just wanted the twist, and to do something different with
a well understood story line. And of course,
do it in 13 lines"

I get the impression you don't realize that the thirteen lines are only meant to entice readers to continue? Critiquers are here to either
a) tell you how successful you were at enticing them, and what you can improve or
b) be enticed and agree to crit the rest of your story
or both.

I'm going to tell you straight up that this is not a story. It is a plot summary. You can't get drawn into plot summaries. Forget publishers, they don't entice readers. And unless you are only writing to keep your fingers in shape, I suggest you take them into account.

This sounds like it would make an interesting read. As a story. I don't know much about this 'very short story' style, but I imagine what makes them so short is that they can eloquently bring you into a scene and conclude it with brief prose. That's NOT the same thing as condensing a more complicated plot into the same space. All you do is lose the flavor/mood/meat of the story (basically what MAKES it a story).

As for pantros's comment on the subject matter, I disagree that it is unsellable. Though just TELLING about falling for a boy is unsellable. But if readers are right with the protag, seeing how he comes to fall in love, we can be understanding and sympathetic, though we cannot relate to his exact situation. Which is really what a writer tries to accomplish.

And it's never good to disagree with someone who has given up a portion of their time to help you. You don't have to use their idea; they don't presume you will. But a thank you is respectful.

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john d. clark
Member # 2977

Thank you all, and I will do my best to learn
from it. Your comments to etiquet are noted.
Please forgive a newbe

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a clever idea. but not executed to best advantage. It does read like a synopsis. But it was not clear that he mistook a girl for a boy and as it stands it does not really matter.

You know, if you developed it into a longer piece, you could have him do all the things you said only to one day come back to his house for one reason or another where he meets his son's new girlfriend -- you got it! -- the androgynoid from the crosswalk.

For some reason, the whole story played out in my mind as anime.

You are a newbie here so I hope you are not discouraged by some of the negativity you received.

Normally we submit the first 13 lines, tell readers wordcount, genre and what we want them to do. I look forward to seeing your next 'first-thirteen'.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john d. clark
Member # 2977

Hey thanks! Yours is the best, and most clever response I've
received. I started by wanting to do a story in a very particular
style. Think of a stand up comic telling a joke if you want to
understand the style. The story needs a definite beginning, end
and at least one central character. It's also customary to end
with a twist of some sort. I started with about 24 lines which
is fine for what I wanted, but violated the rules here and that
wasnt tolerated. In the past I've always been told "Yeah it's
got to be oh so-many-words, but what I really care about is you
doing a good job so dont get all hung up over it."

Folks seemed to sort of loose sight of the fact that my character
never actually _did_ anything to the girl he saw. Instead he let
his imagination, and a nostalgia for a past that never really
existed bring him to radically change his life and give up what
should have been his most precious possession. This is a story
about people who reach middle age (like myself) and aren't comfortable
In this case I would argue the character experienced doubt about.
sexual identity. That can happen at any time. But it's most common
among teenagers and middle aged people. Men in particular need to
come to terms with a side of themselves more feminine. Just as teen
agers need to transition from children to adults. In men that
usually translates into a more caring and nurturing individual.
Grandpa-ish if you like. But sometimes you hear about an individual
that perhaps leaves his family for a younger (much) woman, or
trys to change sexual identity. This would be interesting stuff
for a story me thinks. Of any length. First because it's, well
not discussed openly much. Except maybe on Opra :-) Second, because
it's as we say, an open field.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.