Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Mala, Tell Me - reworked

Author Topic: Mala, Tell Me - reworked
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for people to (re)read all 958 words of this fantasy/romance short story as well as people to slam me on the first 13.

Mala, Tell Me
by Wil Ogden

Mala crawled from her pile of silk pillows and watched as her lord mounted his horse and rode before her heavily curtained litter, leading his section of the caravan home. Tugging at the tether on her right wrist, she used her left hand to pull the heavy curtain closed.
For the past nine weeks she had sat in her litter, chained to the corner post, surrounded by fine silk. Sitting back on the bed of pillows, Mala reached beneath her and felt around until she discovered her mirror. Slightly more searching revealed her makeup case. Lord Robin had surprised her that morning and she had not properly cleaned up her makeup from the night’s sleep. She felt shame to see herself in the mirror. The paints would hide her weaknesses. As she repainted, she

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks better to me so far. Good job fixing the first thirteen.

Just a nit:

quote:
She felt shame to see herself in the mirror.

The wording makes it sound odd, because she looked at herself on perpose, and this line shows no sense of that. It's almost like she didn't mean to do it, or someone made her. If that makes any sense.

I'd say this might make your point better:

"Shame filled her as she looked at her reflection."

But that's really minor. If you want some of the same people to check it out as before then just send it my way. If not, that's fine. Seems like you're making good progress.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
No offense, Pixy... I'm not critting your crit, so to speak, but rather... er... well, a little. But not to be mean or anything. Trust me. Of course, this is only my opinion. I'm not really critting you... Okay?

Right. Using "as" constructions (or tying in two verby actions in one sentence without a pause or a conjunction). I would recommend avoiding them when possible. Sometimes they work beautifully. Most of the time, a rephrase will result in a stronger sentence. Often, two sentences are desirable. Other times, you can rework it into one sentence. But the key is to remember the order of information given. What happens first, what is the result. If you get it backwards, it tends to read funny. It's not necessarily wrong, but it isn't necessarily right, either. Just something to consider. I will say this: I usually cringe and get confused when I'm reading a story that uses lots of "as."

Let's take Pixydust's example:

quote:
"Shame filled her as she looked at her reflection."

Here we see that the character is filled with shame before we know why. There are two verbs to contend with for comprehension, "filled" and "looked." Really, we'll figure it out. But what might be better is to rephrase it, in the proper order:

"She looked at her reflection in the mirror and felt ashamed."

Or maybe...

"She saw her reflection in the mirror, and felt ashamed [...]."

The possibilities for rephrasing are finite, sure, but there's tons more you can do that is stronger than using "as" to link two clauses together. When in doubt, keep it very simple and break up your action with two sentences or a conjunction or most anything. Let the reader assimilate your intent, first and foremost.

Am I saying never to use "as"? No. I'm not. I'm saying, most of the time, it's clutter. There are plenty of times when it's precisely what you need. Sometimes used best as set up. Say:

"As he ran around the bases, he heard the crowd chanting his name, calling out to him."

That last example works well because it sets up one action first, breaks it up with a comma (a rest), and then finishes with what a character hears.

But really, it's a style pref. So use them, but don't overuse them -- like anything else.

Pantros, I owe you a crit on your fragment. I'll try to give that to you sometime later today.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

Well, thanks for the lesson, HSO. You sure set me straight.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

I wasn't trying to set you straight, pixy. Consider it a mini-rant, if you will. I see a lot of submissions that have too much "as." If I can help anyone avoid overusing it, I'm happy. Really.

Okay, Pantros, a crit of your fragment:

The good is that we know this is clearly in Mala's POV; that she's the main character (despite the title which might infer otherwise), at least in this scene anyway, and that looking pretty and well made up is important to her (characterization).

The not-so-good: There's a lot happening in this, but I don't get the sense of anything really happening -- if that makes sense. Partly it's due to the setting. Yeah, Mala is on a pile of silk pillows, but where exactly? And from where (or through what, perhaps) is she watching her lord ride a horse? It's hard to say, because you haven't told us yet. Maybe we learn it in the next few sentences, or maybe we don't -- there's a curtain, of course, and I assume she's looking out of window, so where is this window attached? But developing the setting properly is every bit as important as developing your POV, as well as creating a good hook to further us into your tale.

One issue I see is that at the beginning, Mala crawls from her pillows to watch her lord. She does this, but suddenly she's back on her pillows, leaning back into them. It's a continuity nit, I suppose, even though she's chained to the cornerpost. I assumed she crawled completely off of her pillows, but when I don't see her go back to them and she's suddenly there, I wonder... wonder if I missed something important.

What is important to me is establishing Mala fully before introducing her lord. I think the potential for a good hook may lie in that she's tethered to a cornerpost. I would suggest delaying the lord's entrance briefly and showing us Mala's present fate (without resorting to any exposition of the past nine weeks -- not yet, anyway... wait.) Simply show us where she is, in detail; then once we've got that sorted, develop the lord. Take your time. Don't try to cram everything that is happening or will happen at the beginning. There's lots of good ways to intrigue us. If you tell us too much, we'll feel you're forcing it down our throats. If you don't tell us enough (hint: setting), we'll feel confused and become disinterested.

Again, don't tell us what has happened. Tell us what is happening, right now! Even one-liners of exposition can be awkward this early ("for the past nine weeks..." for example). Let your story develop in the present time for as long as possible. When we need to know how long Mala's been tied up, when it's absolutely relevant, try to develop it then.

Good luck with this.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

quote:
If I can help anyone avoid overusing it, I'm happy. Really.

Well, it prompted me go through my current short and check to see if I made the same mistake there. It was clean, but I'm definitely going to be more consious of it in the future. So, my thank you was sincere.

pantros
Member # 3237

So you are saying that
quote:
Sitting back on the bed of pillows, Mala reached beneath her and felt around until she discovered her mirror.

would be better phrased along the lines of:
quote:
After sitting back on the bed of pillows, Mala reached beneath her and felt around until she discovered her mirror.

or
quote:

Mala returned to her pile of pillows and sat then reaced beneath her and felt around until she discovered her mirror.

Ok, not pretty, but less ambiguous.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Well, "sitting back" means to me the same thing as "leaning back," which requires Mala to already be on the pillows.

The last example you gave would be more in line with my suggestion, I suppose. Though, is there any harm in a short sentence saying, "She returned to her pillows."? (or you could color it up by adding an emotion first, like "Weary, she returned to her pillows." Whatever Mala feels, that is.) And then going on with finding her mirror? In my opinion, that's the cleanest and safest choice. Up to you, though.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited November 08, 2005).]

pantros
Member # 3237

Thanks, that second paragraph is gonna kill me.

The rest is great; I'm totally happy with it. But that second paragraph seems to be trying to do too much and it does all(most of it ) need to get done. That used to be the fourth paragraph and I managed to get two of em better distributed later in the story or outright dropped.

HSO
Member # 2056

You know, I just realized (after looking it up) that you are using "litter" as your setting piece. To be honest, I didn't know what a (presumably horse-drawn or people-lifted) litter was in that context (other than a stretcher), so I glossed over it, hoping to find out, or figured I was simply daft. So, I'll rescind my setting comment, but caution you to establish what a litter is in better context for us less-informed readers. Ah, but I learned something new.

Anyway, I suppose this is the defintion you're using for litter:

from dictionary.com

quote:
litter

(Heb. tsab, as being lightly and gently borne), a sedan or palanquin for the
conveyance of persons of rank (Isa. 66:20). In Num. 7:3, the words "covered
wagons" are more literally "carts of the litter kind." There they denote large
and commodious vehicles drawn by oxen, and fitted for transporting the
furniture of the temple.

pantros
Member # 3237

Redo:

Mala crawled from her pile of silk pillows and watched as her lord mounted his horse and rode before her heavily curtained litter, leading his section of the caravan home. Tugging at the light silvery chain connecting her right wrist to the corner post, she used her left hand to pull the heavy curtain closed.

She let herself fall back onto her bed of pillows. Mala then reached beneath into the pile and prodded around until she discovered her mirror. Slightly more searching revealed her makeup case. Lord Robin had surprised her that morning before she could properly clean up her makeup from the night’s sleep. She saw her reflection in the mirror, and felt ashamed that she lacked the courage to fully accept the freedom her lord had given her. Wearing the make-up, she became just a storyteller.

pantros
Member # 3237

I had it in a carriage, but I had a few different people comment that a carriage with curtains for walls was really a litter.

And now I have to wonder, is it better to be accurate or to confuse fewer readers.

I need the setting to be mobile, or I have to rework some of the mushy "why I love you" talk later which centers around Lord Robin's taking Mala away from the caravan to each each night by a different romantic stream or other romantic location.

I do think the litter location works for character development as well. Gives it a very mediteranean/arabic feel, which helps. The real questions is: would you keep reading at this point. Like I said, I am already happy with the rest of the story; I just need the hook to work.

I do worry that I never mention clothes. Does this make the characters naked? I hope not.

edit: left out a word

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited November 08, 2005).]

HSO
Member # 2056

quote:
I had it in a carriage, but I had a few different people comment that a carriage with curtains for walls was really a litter.

And now I have to wonder, is it better to be accurate or to confuse fewer readers.

It's always better to be accurate, but to clue in the "daft" reader at the same time. For example, how is this litter moving? You can mention it sways, rocks gently as whatever or whoever pull/carry it along. You do that, and the context of "litter" is immediately apparent. It's not your fault that I didn't know what "litter" meant.

And really, it all goes to what I originally said: Take your time with the setup. I realize you are trying to write a flash-length story and don't have lots of room for everything. My only advice there is to not worry about the length and simply write your story. You can trim it down later.

To answer your question about being hooked: no, I'm not hooked, really. Not as written. I find that she's chained mildly intriguing, but I don't get a sense of her being in any real danger, or even that she's cares about it.

And there's too much happening in the beginning without the full setting being developed. Litter is only one part of it. There's a lot more to consider. In other words, strongly consider not cramming in 3 or 4 different things into one sentence. Here's your sentence:

quote:
Mala crawled from her pile of silk pillows and watched as her lord mounted his horse and rode before her heavily curtained litter, leading his section of the caravan home. Tugging at the light silvery chain connecting her right wrist to the corner post, she used her left hand to pull the heavy curtain closed.

That first sentence is a doozy. Look:

First action: Mala crawled. [to where?]
Second action: and watched her lord
Third action: as her lord mounted
Fourth action: [lord] rode before her
Fifth action: [lord] leading his caravan home.

Yikes! It's too much, in my opinion. Let us breathe. I can't be hooked until I'm firmly rooted in what's actually happening. Unfortunately, I've got five actions to digest in one sentence. So, consider breaking it up and taking your time.

I could tell you how I would do it, but that won't help you. All I can say is that for me, that first sentence simply hurts the rest of the fragment.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pantros,
This is much clearer than the first fragment you posted.
It is clear that she is in a litter that forms part of a larger caravan.

quote:

Tugging at the tether on her right wrist, she used her left hand to pull the heavy curtain closed.

Minor nit, the 'left/right' thing seems to disrupt the flow for me. It may be just because it makes me focus on staging. You refer to a 'tether' then to a 'chain' I am having trouble with whether these are supposed to be the same item, but that is really just splitting hairs.
As far as assumptions, she seems to be crawling around the 'room' is that right? I would also assume an imminent attack by mounted, bedouin types. I don't know why.

quote:

Lord Robin had surprised her that morning and she had not properly cleaned up her makeup from the night’s sleep. She felt shame to see herself in the mirror.

The above portion seems a bit in reverse, she should maybe look in the mirror, see her state then feel shame and commence the cover-up with make-up. So I guess I am saying: show us this rather than tell. (Sorry for trotting out that old chestnut.)

In this first thirteen there seems to be no sense of conflict, no sense that she objects to her position. In fact she seems to like the guy who keeps her chained up. If it doesn't worry her, it doesn't worry me, but to keep reading I want some sense of what is wrong in her world. Having said that, it makes me wonder whether the story starts in the right place. Maybe if I read on a bit I will be more sure.

Edit: for clarity
Edit: to complete an otherwise incomplete sentence.
Edit: at 960 words, I'll give it a read, if you still need readers.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 08, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pantros,
Read and critiqued.

I think the story starts in the right spot for the tale told.
I've sent more comments in the text.

Thanks for the read. I enjoyed it and it got my wheels turning -- thinking.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
headolence
Member # 2992

- posted      Profile for headolence   Email headolence         Edit/Delete Post 
"Slightly more searching revealed her makeup case."

I disagree with how that sentence is worded? Maybe drop the "slightly" altogether so it reads, "More searching revealed her makeup case." Perhaps not every minute detail (how long it took) is necessary. Or maybe say, "A little more searching revealed her makeup case," if necessary.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.