Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Untitled Story -- First 13 Lines

Author Topic: Untitled Story -- First 13 Lines
Ezuma
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Ezuma   Email Ezuma         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an idea I thought of whilst sitting my Physics Exam this morning. I came home for half an hour, typed a little bit (background info) then went and sat my Drama Studies exam.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The humans and the Terrans encountered each other on the 29th February 2244. The two races formed an alliance. They dealt with threats from each other’s side and because of cross marriages, soon became a single race. Parts of the Galactic Alliance call themselves Terrans, the others call themselves humans.

In 2389, the Alliance flagship, the G.A.V. Odyssey, led by Richard McMahon, an old grey-haired man and his son, James, encountered the Tuath de Dannan, a tall humanoid race. Admiral Walter Voorhees decided to make them members of the Galactic Alliance. The Tuath de Dannan decided to keep in communication. They returned to their homeworld, Zillion.

Four years later, no one had heard from the Tuath de Dannan.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
What is this?

The first 13 lines of a short story? Not likely. This is far too far away from the action, we are too far removed for there to be any short story obviously coming.

THe first 13 lines of a novel? Still too far removed from the action.

The first 13 lines of a plot summary?

Ah, I see what this is. This is the first 13 lines of the background to a story. This is the kind of information the author should know but if the reader needs to know the information will be spread through the story, after the action starts.

I do get confused if Terrans and Humans are different people from different planets. Terran means from Earth (Terra in Latin).

I would get a lot closer on the action, like a single person's perspective rather than start with a galactic history lesson.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a story yet. It's a prologue; it's information, but I'm not sure it's information that needs to be up front. Some of it may not need to be there at all - are the McMahons, or Voorhees, going to appear again? If not, then it may not be worth mentioning them, though it depends whether this is the start of a novel or of a short story.

I found the explanation about humans and Terrans faintly confusing, since in much SF earth is refered to as "Terra" and "Terrans" is commonly used as interchangeable with humans.

Using the Tuatha de Danaan - a celtic lift - along with a character called Voorhees immediately dropped me into Julian May territory, as well. You can get away with one, probably, but not both.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ezuma
Member # 2646

Wow. I don't even know who that is, lol. I thought I made them up myself. Huh, guess I didn't.

And yes, this is meant to be a prologue, but as I said, I didn't really think it through, I was just jotting down stuff after my exams.

Richard McMahon is one of the more significant characters in the story, but Voorhees isn't. Perhaps I should just say the Galactic Council decided to make them Alliance members?

Yeah I know the Terrans are another way of saying human, but I was thinking of having Terrans as humans from our sister galaxy (whatever it's called), and they encountered each other, and soon became an alliance, then soon became a race.

Kapish?

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah I know the Terrans are another way of saying human, but I was thinking of having Terrans as humans from our sister galaxy (whatever it's called), and they encountered each other, and soon became an alliance, then soon became a race.

I can pretty much guarantee that whatever the "sister race" is called, absolutely none of this information will be necessary in the first 13 lines. Unless the plot of the story is ethnic conflict within the Demi-human race, we don't even need to know at any time during a short story that the race is or is not pure human. If its a novel, it might be something to add for flavor or to cover a sub plot, but for a short story, this is not useful.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited November 16, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ezuma
Member # 2646

Thanks for the input, guys... I'll try and work out a way to change it.
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
tuathe de dannan... a celtic race of gods... MacHannan... a celtic name... your sure that it was a PHYSICS exam? GEEZE, I thought I was insane! very rough storyline. got confused by all the information at one time... Its like one of my old books at first, too much information in too little a space. unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, Deltron Experiment was trashed... whats up with the trashing?
Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
If you had just thought this up and then came in and posted it, it's completely understandable that it's summary, background information and not an actual start of the story. We have to start somewhere! Looks interesting. Flesh it out and post again when you have more.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.