Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » One Who Sees Prologue

Author Topic: One Who Sees Prologue
raconteuse
Member # 3119

- posted      Profile for raconteuse           Edit/Delete Post 
These are the first 13 lines to the Prologue of a near-future sociological science fiction novel. The finished manuscript is 109,400 words long.

I would be interested to know the impression the first 13 lines make. And more specifically:

With which character did you identify? What were your feelings towards the two characters in this scene? What was your impression of the character who was mentioned, but not present?

Based on these first lines, what sort of novel are you expecting to read?

Critiques welcome.

Actuator Amelie DePerdue took the handkerchief that Sergeant Jules offered her. She winced as the starched cloth came into contact with the cuts on her face.
There had never been an Actuator in Jules's office before. Only one person in ten million was born with the ability to actuate.
"My husband tied me in a chair," DePerdue said. "Frank stuffed his handkerchief in my mouth so nobody could hear me scream."
Jules made a note of the red welts around DePerdue's slender wrists on his report.
"Then Frank hit me. Then he got out the knife."
Jules coughed. "I can see that, Madame," he said. "The prison doctor will see to your injuries and make an official assessment for legal purposes."

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 11, 2006).]

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to think 13 lines don't do justice to any of the submissions in this group...
Well, firstly I think Amelie's injuries, especially as they are inflicted by her husband, wouldn't they trigger a more emotional scene when she's explaining to an officer of the law?
Secondly, blame the 13 lines rule, the MC's occupy normal roles. A victim, a perpetrator, a sympathetic...no surprises...
The only intrigueing(?) bit is Amelie being an Actuator, this bit of information gives me a wish to understand what she is and what kind of a life she leads while being an Actuator?
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonny Woopants
Member # 3004

- posted      Profile for Jonny Woopants   Email Jonny Woopants         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this. I'm very intrugued as to what an Actuator is/does. It immediately hooked my interest from the first line.

Pointing out that Jules has never had a Actuator in his office before, furthers my interest, and is nice way to lead into the fact there only one in ten million born, rather than just ramming a random fact down our throats we are able to absorb the information as if through MC eyes. Nice touch.

I agree its hard to draw any conclusions on DePerdue's character from this little snippet, though, and that maybe she would react a little more emotionally to recollecting such a harrowing experience - whether these were genuine emotions or not.
I can conclude she's obviously feeling a little sorry for her self from the content of her dialogue. But maybe it would serve better not to break that first line of dialogue up and write something like...
'My husband tied me to a chair and stuffed his handkerchief in my mouth to stop me screaming,' DePerdue said, fighting back another torrent of tears with a loud sniff.

Using a combination of action and dialogue would maybe serve better here to build a more clearer picture of the character and add an extra dimesion to the dialogue.

But thats maybe only a personal preference. Can't find really anything else worng with it.

[This message has been edited by Jonny Woopants (edited January 12, 2006).]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaleRider
Member # 3132

- posted      Profile for PaleRider   Email PaleRider         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this yesterday and then again this morning. I was a bit confused the first time about what an actuator was. Reading it again, I realized she might of killed Frank with her "power," or hurt him badly. It appears that both are going to prison, since the prison doctor will see to her wounds. I would actually like to read more...so that is an official "hooked me."
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it overall. I especially like the subtle "tilting the mirror" toward the end, which cast some doubt on who really was the victim, Amelia or Frank. At this point, Frank can either be an SOB or trying to defend himself. That's not easy to do. Kudos.

Honestly, I feel for Sgt. Jules. I don't think this will be an easy case for him (or whoever investigates it). It sounds like a cross between an old pulp detective story and a psychic thriller so far.

"Actuator Amelia DePurdue" is a mouthful. Drop the "Actuator" part. The third and fourth sentences give us this information well enough.

The middle section where she describes her husband's action feels awkward. I think it's the interruption of "Jules made a note..." that tosses us out of her POV for the description, into Jules' POV, then back to hers for the rest of her description. I'd move his notation of her injuries down to where he's telling her the prison doctor will check her out.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandEyeProtege
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I had to do a double take on the first few lines because I wasn't sure whose point of view I was getting. Because Amelie's was the first name I came across, and the second sentance seems to be from her POV, I thought she was the viewpoint character. (An easy fix would be to start, "Sergeant Jules offered a handkerchief...")

In any case, through the first 13 I identified with Amelie. She's the one suffering, both at present with the cuts on her face and, apparently, in the past. But the last line sheds some doubt on her victimhood.

I didn't get much of an impression of Jules at all. If I had to describe him, I would say he was cold or impassionate.

Regarding Frank--who I guess is her husband?--well, that's the first point, I guess. I wasn't sure. I think in normal speech that one would name the person once and then use pronouns after that. That she names Frank makes it seem like he was an accomplice of her husband. But in any case, until the twist in the last line I had no doubt that Frank was the villian.

What sort of novel am I expecting? I'll be honest, if you put the word "Prologue" at the top of this, I won't form expectations at all. In my experience a prologue is starkly different from the rest of the novel in terms of characters and content--it's the setup for everything that happens, but we may not understand how until deep into the book. If this flows directly into the primary events of your novel, I'd just make it chapter one.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell who the POV character was. At first it seemed to be the actuator; then it seemed to be Jules; then I wasn't sure.

I'm impatient with this. Both characters know very well what an actuator is, and the author isn't telling us. I'd stop reading, I'm afraid.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie_D
Member # 3135

- posted      Profile for Eddie_D           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering who the protagonist is, because attention seems to skip from one character to the other. As a reader, I want to know (immediately) who is going to be telling me their story, so that I can get into their mind and see the world through their eyes. This isn't quite omniscient narration, because, when carefully studied, it's all from Jules' POV, but IMO we don't 'feel' him.

The language seems quite baggy and passive. If Jules is the MC (at least in this chapter), let us see him first, and give the narration some more active verbs.

What's the relevanced of the 'cloth' being 'starched'? Can't you just have him offer her a 'clean' hankie?

Also, your sentences are all about the same length - there's no variation in rhythm, or punctuation. It's really quite flat and could quickly become monotonous, if you're not careful.

The dialogue isn't very engaging, or realistic, either (sorry). I doubt she would mention her husband's name so often. 'got out the knife' makes the reader wonder if he was pulling the knife out of her. Better to say 'pulled a knife' or 'brought the knife out', IMO.

Sorry to be so negative, but I would scrap this opening and try again, if I was you.

On the upside, I think once you get going it could be an interesting story. You've mentioned three characters and established conflict already, which is good and drives the reader forward, wanting to know more.

Good luck with it

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raconteuse
Member # 3119

- posted      Profile for raconteuse           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for their impressions and comments. Some of my worst POV "fears" were justified.

Below is the rewrite.

Now that I've committed to Jules for my POV, what impression do you have of DePerdue? Have I maintained the "mirror tilt" krazykiter noticed that I was going for? Are you still intrigued as a reader to know more about what an Actuator is? Other critiques welcome.

There had never been an Actuator in Sergeant Jules's office before. Only one person in ten million was born with the ability to actuate. While Jules filled in his report, he tried to watch DePerdue out of the corner of his eye. The miracle that allowed her to pilot the S Drive was not visible in her physical presence. Some of her frailness might have been the effect of the bruises and the scabbed knife wounds on her face. Jules wouldn't have believed an Actuator would be so small.
"Will my husband be jailed?" Amelie asked Jules.
Jules swallowed. "Spouse abuse carries a minimum six-year sentence in Senegal. If you wanted, you could also sue Dr. Campbell for the cost of your medical treatment- you will seek medical treatment, Actuator DePerdue?"

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 13, 2006).]

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm the one who brought it up, yes, you did lose the "mirror tilt." It stemmed from the fact that we hear her describe being attacked, then at the end Jules mentions the *prison doctor* is about to tend to her injuries, implying SHE is in jail, and the fate of her husband is in doubt to the reader. Is he in jail, too? Did *she* kill him instead? Did this "ability to actuate" have anything to do with his reason to attack her, his possible demise, or both? These were all questions running through my mind, making me want to read on and find out.

In the second version, Frank is just a schmuck who beats his wife.

Way back in my "Grid Epsilon" days on GEnie (boy, did I just date myself or what?), I was part of a forum with J. Michael Strazcynski, creator of the Babylon 5 television series. As the series progressed, Joe would show us how he used plot elements to subtly shift our initial perceptions of a character or situation. Really made for some great storytelling without resorting to overt "plot twists."

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a clear POV, though it has lost a little mystery...
The reader would like to know more about the Actuator, especially now you refer to her frailty, size and the fact she has been abused by her Husband. Excellent!
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaleRider
Member # 3132

- posted      Profile for PaleRider   Email PaleRider         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I don't want to know what an actuater is yet - that was part of the hook for me. I liked hearing her size and description, and POV is better. But I would like to see the actuator in Action to understand it. I think you should work "mirror/tilt" mystery of suspecting her of a crime. Is there some regulation that keeps her from using her power which she used to defend herself from rat husband?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duckboyone
Member # 3141

- posted      Profile for duckboyone   Email duckboyone         Edit/Delete Post 
I like both of these, but I like the second one better. The extra details add to the mystery of what an actuator is rather than take away from it. What is an S Drive? Why can only an actuator pilot one? It sounds almost like a mental ability, so why would her size make a difference in Jules' mind? I would definitely be intrigued to read more.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, krazykiter, I was on GEnie, too.

Has it really been that long? Six years doesn't "date" a person, does it?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

quote:

Hey, krazykiter, I was on GEnie, too.

Has it really been that long? Six years doesn't "date" a person, does it?

Actually, I began on GEnie well over ten years ago (Probably closer to fifteen). B5 aired from 93-98, and Joe was on GEnie talking about the show for a number of years before that.

*THAT* is what dates a person--namely, me :-)

(Great. Now I've got Springsteen's "Glory Days" running through my head. Oh well, here's to the "Grid Epsilon Irregulars".)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.